How do you keep your strings slidey?

Nick K.

I hate it when my fingers grind on the strings when doing slides. I would like to keep them as slidey as they feel the first 2-3 days or so. How do you guys clean/maintain your strings? Ive heard that you can use fretboard oil on the 3 unwound strings to keep them sleek and slidey but i dont know if i should use mine on the strings.

My CDLC ! 

I usually release about 2 CDLC a month, because I like to take my time and make them as good as I can for the benefit of everyone interested in them ;)

I dont use anything on my strings.

In fact I just replaced them after 100 hours of play, broke high e while playing. Stupid me bought heavy guage as when I got my guitar I bought 6 sets of strings abosultely hate the heavies, good for thunkier sound and pm though, not so much for bends.

Then again thats why we try different things to find what we like and what works for us.

Hmmm, that's an odd one. I think it has to do with how much pressure you apply when sliding. Now being a bass player, there are times when I deliberately use that sound on my roundwound strings as a kind of accent, but I do know with practice I can control when it happens. But, like with fret buzz and fingerboard rattle, it's a matter of practice and hitting everything exactly right, every time.

And that comes down to practice ... practice ... practice.

I don't use anything on the strings neither.

Maybe it's because i don't sweat that much or the sweat isn't very agressive but my strings last like forever. I just change them after a few months for sound reasons.

All the string care stuff is just crap imho.

Try D'addario NYXL's.  They are smooth like butter right out of the pack.  The ends are tinned (soldered) for longer wear, although I had a G string unravel anyways.   And they don't need to be stretched.  They're so smooth, it took me a while to get the feel of the frets under the big E string.

I also use GHS Fast-Fret.  It keeps the strings clean while leaving them just slightly oiled so they stay fresh and not corrode, etc.