Welcome to a revolutionary new technique to learn guitar.

Unleashed2k

love this idea. A great way to learn!

As a drummer foremost, i learnt songs without learning the basics, it actually made it harder to play. Going back and relearning techniques made it easier to learn songs down the track.

I can play power chords on guitar, but suck at anything requiring any level of skill- an example would be Metallica songs- I'm Great until a solo comes along!

• Like 1

I've taken the exercises from Steve Vai's 30 Hour Workout & expanded out all the "etc"s up to fret 13 so there's more than the printed 1-2 repetitions of each pattern, & made each exercise its own section for Riff Repeater. I then recorded the output from GuitarPro w/ the metronome on & imported it to play around with. My main issue now is trying to figure out what an appropriate base tempo is for the audio track- I tried to imagine what a "skilled" player would play it at (pretty damn fast) & figure everyone else will be using riff repeater at 50% (or lower) to start off with- or should I be setting it lower overall? I don't really want to feel like a complete n00b by having to set the speed ridiculously low (not to mention it takes a while to set it down that far), but then again, you can always slow it down, but you can't make it go faster...

I was actually thinking of having "lyrics" with the names of each exercise (e.g. "Angular Exercise II"), held for the duration of each section. Shouldn't be that hard to do. I should have some time to work on it this weekend.

On a related note, I've got a 'Glare Guitar School' magazine w/ a bunch of exercises from Teru & Hizaki of Versailles/Jupiter (among other v-kei artists), & 1 "song" by another guy that's basically a huge etude of multiple techniques, which might be fun to put in. The Versailles exercises are extremely short, though (10-37s), so I'd probably put them all in 1 "song" by sections, like the Steve Vai thing. You can see some of those here.

• Like 1

Here's me:  I'm 52 and started playing rhythm guitar when I was 11 - but I cannot read music and know very little about music theory.  So I feel that I've wasted 41 years.  I bought RS2014 (and recently the original) so that I could learn to play lead guitar.  So I'm an ol' dog trying to learn new tricks.  To be honest, most of the songs I've seen are geared to a younger audience (no, I didn't say all), so I must forego many of the custom DLCs that are available because they are groups and/or artists that I either don't care for or simply don't know.

That having been said, from what I've read within this thread alone I am interested in maybe learning by ear as one person suggested (if it can be done) and learning scales.  So I hope something will be forthcoming along these lines and look forward to whatever you folks with the real talent can create to assist folks like myself.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I think that would be a great idea

i also saw where i wolf said he new of some free ear training stuff

i would like to know more about that

also i have a question about custome dlc

i would like to see some old stryper songs like soldiers under command and stuff like that

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of putting together a piece of cDLC to help people create scale maps using a method called The Hopscotch Method.

I'm guessing that I can have different keys for the different difficulty levels..? And then allow people to change the speed themselves..? If I do things that way then you can have different keys and different BPMs in one piece of cDLC, right..?

No idea how this all works tbh, have started work on a song but thought I'd be better off doing something simpler to begin with whilst I get used to messing around with EOF lol

Am planning on doing one for each scale and was thinking about doing them with just a Metronome sound in the background.

Should I link to them here when done or should I upload them to the database..?

• Like 1