Is there anyway I can get access to the old search page? (search.customsforge.com)

DevXen

Question

So Ignition is great and all, it just doesn't work as well on my PC. (though to be fair, it's an older PC) after i go through like 5 pages, it drains my ram and freezes my browser to where I have to restart it. I'd rather not use the Ignition search. which is also why I haven't been on the site for awhile. The old search worked a whole lot better for me. - I'm sure if I get a new PC. then I'd prefer the Ignition as it is a mostly nicer interface. But as for now it's more of a pain then a convenience for me.

Thanks,

-Dev

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

Don't get me wrong, Ignition is great (ok multiple clicks to get to the song page sucks), it just kills the ram on my PC and causes my FireFox to crash after i have opened a few pages with it. where the original search, wasn't as pretty, in fact it was ugly, but it sure was much much more useful at least on my PC.

Don't get me wrong, Ignition is great (ok multiple clicks to get to the song page sucks), it just kills the ram on my PC and causes my FireFox to crash after i have opened a few pages with it. where the original search, wasn't as pretty, in fact it was ugly, but it sure was much much more useful at least on my PC.

Sounds to me like a Firefox problem , try starting it in safe mode then see how much ram is used. Too many extensions running can cause ram hogging and crashes.

it's just an older PC. I don't really have many extensions installed. i do however only have 2GB of ram. a lot of the issue, i'm sure is the Ajax that it is using. and the pages that load also take up quite a bit of ram for each page apparently. But when I didn't have to Click on each song to open a Modular window just to from there click on 'Go to record' it was a whole lot smoother and my PC/Firefox ran with it much, much better.

it's just an older PC. I don't really have many extensions installed. i do however only have 2GB of ram. a lot of the issue, i'm sure is the Ajax that it is using. and the pages that load also take up quite a bit of ram for each page apparently. But when I didn't have to Click on each song to open a Modular window just to from there click on 'Go to record' it was a whole lot smoother and my PC/Firefox ran with it much, much better.

Have you tried running Firefox in safe mode to see if it helps.

If firefox crashes from tabs opening how does rocksmith run?!?!?!? If the game plays fine, like Mostly Rancid said it could be a firefox problem. My younger brother's laptop was junk with 2gb ram and browsers never had a problem

My CDLC ! 

I usually release about 2 CDLC a month, because I like to take my time and make them as good as I can for the benefit of everyone interested in them ;)

If firefox crashes from tabs opening how does rocksmith run?!?!?!? If the game plays fine, like Mostly Rancid said it could be a firefox problem. My younger brother's laptop was junk with 2gb ram and browsers never had a problem

Eh. it runs but only if i have firefox and everything else on the PC closed. also it sometimes has issues while playing. - the audio is fine. but the scrolling of the notes gets very slow. eventually it catches up and it's fine. but it does happen randomly. another ram issue, I'd assume. right this second Firefox is using roughly 900 Megs of ram. but i do have quite a few tabs open. - opening tabs isn't the problem. as much as the page and the ram each tab takes, Other pages, i've been just fine. this one, after i open 10 tabs. it freezes and either crashes or i have to end task and restart it. but then it's good for another ten tabs (roughly) if I don't open the previous ones. again, it's just an older PC. but before Ignition that wasn't ever a problem.

@@DevXen Ohhh.. If you are on desktop gather some money when you can and plop in a 4gb ram stick (2x2gb sticks or 1 stick of 4gb). There are very good 4gb ram sticks for like 30 dollars/euros and its a very easy upgrade. It will most likely help a lot :p

My CDLC ! 

I usually release about 2 CDLC a month, because I like to take my time and make them as good as I can for the benefit of everyone interested in them ;)

Eh. it runs but only if i have firefox and everything else on the PC closed. also it sometimes has issues while playing. - the audio is fine. but the scrolling of the notes gets very slow. eventually it catches up and it's fine. but it does happen randomly. another ram issue, I'd assume. right this second Firefox is using roughly 900 Megs of ram. but i do have quite a few tabs open. - opening tabs isn't the problem. as much as the page and the ram each tab takes, Other pages, i've been just fine. this one, after i open 10 tabs. it freezes and either crashes or i have to end task and restart it. but then it's good for another ten tabs (roughly) if I don't open the previous ones. again, it's just an older PC. but before Ignition that wasn't ever a problem.

Apart from an upgrade , I suggest trying Internet Explorer or chrome instead just as a test. I'm guessing you know that your system is clean , if so ,If you have any anti-virus , anti-malware or anti-spyware running in the background turn them off while on Ignition & CustomsForge. Also a clean install of your OS speeds up tired PC's although a bit of a faff.

• Administrator

I get a little pike when opening or searching something in ignition but it's barely noticeable and goes down once the information are finished loading which is consistent with how a site like this use RAM (i go from 420/430 to 480/500Mo and go back to the 420 or so Mo firefox use). Last FF version with 8Go of RAM with barely any extension. Also RAM usage by FF doesn't change when ignition is done loading compare to what FF use when ignition isn't open at all on my PC.

Something that is important to consider is that the OS constantly use RAM but every time a software ask for more space the OS looks for what can be easily dump or saved on a more permanent memory to give it to the software. In a condition where "free space is limited", time to free up space will grow up and make other software suffers from it, as the OS tends to avoid crippling himself if you mostly only run FF in those situation, it's FF that takes the hardest it when he is asking for RAM as there's not much the OS can offer so operation takes more time.

Also beware of bad comparison, Ignition needs to generate list of data out of server request which will always cost way more RAM than a simple HTML page loading, so if you wanna do a comparison here you'll need to find web page that do the same kind of request and display management. And this was developed by volunteer and do have "issue", we don't have thousands of dollar going into dedicated team of dev to make the system run as smooth as some other site.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Most taxing in speed is the OS.

Too many PC where sold cheap with an early windows 7 on board, when they really could not handle it, once one started updates and software installations. They have there ways to keep you buying new hardware :lol:

Why not install and try an XP as a second OS ? Or Linux ?

Most taxing in speed is the OS.

Too many PC where sold cheap with an early windows 7 on board, when they really could not handle it, once one started updates and software installations. They have there ways to keep you buying new hardware :lol:

Why not install and try an XP as a second OS ? Or Linux ?

I couldn't get RS 2 running on XP , RS2 is the reason I upgraded , I miss XP :(

• Administrator

W10 could be a good solution if you want less RAM usage compare to W7 instead of going back to XP that isn't supported anymore and XP will lead to thousand of issue of compatibility.

RS don't run on linux so i don't see it as an alternative though it might (depending on the release) lower the RAM usage of the OS.

overall i would be intrigued by how CPU and RAM are used when OP is using ignition but i doubt there's a lot we can do on our side especially since we don't have any dev working on ignition anymore to make Fuse be available as soon as possible which should help in such case (don't take my word as a promise though :p )

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

i also prefer the old style search, i found it a lot easier to use and filter for what you are looking for, and after this weekends down time and what i see now when i open the search i get a page that just lists everything in dates on the left, i much prefer to see whats been added recently at the top of the page and then be able to right click an artist/band and open it in a new tab, it make life so much more easier than  having to multi click on the small box that open for a track to get to what you want to see , anyway Rock On dudes \m/