Learning and memorizing songs?

How do you guys go about learning new songs? Like the majority of the time id just sit there and keep repeating the same song, Play it for around an hour a day each day until it sticks to my head, While also slowing down some songs that are pretty difficult and going up speeds as i can play it. But how do you guys learn songs?

• Like 1

• Administrator

Well you already said it, there's no secret for memorization. Repetition is the only way you gonna remember something.

One thing though is that you can help yourself recall where transition happens via lyrics or drum fills for example to avoid counting in your head how many times you should or have played something.

And of course knowing which pattern are repeated (chorus, verse, etc..), even the scale used in the solo makes things easier  and allow for more room to fool around if you want to.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Well you already said it, there's no secret for memorization. Repetition is the only way you gonna remember something.

One thing though is that you can help yourself recall where transition happens via lyrics or drum fills for example to avoid counting in your head how many times you should or have played something.

And of course knowing which pattern are repeated (chorus, verse, etc..), even the scale used in the solo makes things easier  and allow for more room to fool around if you want to.

Thats when master mode is a great thing but i learn songs in sections and cant xseem to figure out how to get master mode to work in DDC on only one section. I feel like if i could get master mode to work like that learning would be alot simpler as it would be playing the notes by memory somewhat instead of staring at the notes while playing.

• Administrator

Master can't be activated via the Riff Repeater sadly but you can still look away from your screen/close your eyes to have the same effect. The screen is only a support to read but if your goal is to memorized, then the more you rely on your reading instead of your memory the harder it will get.

A good test is to go over the Score Attack mode and get to the master difficulty there, it can be a great way to see where your memory fails you as you'll quickly see on which section you had a tougher time.

It's not because you have a screen that you have to stare at it all the time like a zombie. Even in songs i go through for the first few times i try to avoid watching too much when i get the feel of the pattern i have to play. i might end with some misses because i missed the transition but i worked something else which is memory and the attention to the track in the background too that will alert you for upcoming changes.

Hearing is very underrated but it's goddamn important if you wanna play along a backing track or with a band. You're never alone and being able to concentrate on something else than you is harder than it seems too and you will notice detail in the song that the RS chart might not convey very well too.

• Like 4

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Master can't be activated via the Riff Repeater sadly but you can still look away from your screen/close your eyes to have the same effect. The screen is only a support to read but if your goal is to memorized, then the more you rely on your reading instead of your memory the harder it will get.

A good test is to go over the Score Attack mode and get to the master difficulty there, it can be a great way to see where your memory fails you as you'll quickly see on which section you had a tougher time.

It's not because you have a screen that you have to stare at it all the time like a zombie. Even in songs i go through for the first few times i try to avoid watching too much when i get the feel of the pattern i have to play. i might end with some misses because i missed the transition but i worked something else which is memory and the attention to the track in the background too that will alert you for upcoming changes.

Hearing is very underrated but it's goddamn important if you wanna play along a backing track or with a band. You're never alone and being able to concentrate on something else than you is harder than it seems too and you will notice detail in the song that the RS chart might not convey very well too.

when it comes to me learning a song like this 

i cant really play score attack because how fast the song simply is at the start. hence why i would slow it down in riff repeater and work my way up (this is just the way i do it) but ive never actually tried score attack with this song.

You can enable a master mode anytime even if the notes are appearing on the screen, simply look away or turn your back to the screen.

I don't have mm enabled currently due to trying to learn too many songs at once so the method I use when I think Ive got a riff down is to look away.

• 1 year later...

Actually RS is terrible for memorizing songs. The best way to memorize is to play outside RS like tabs furthermore written by yourself. I´d benn playing several years solely with RS and now I´m in the need to abandon it completely,otherwise I won´t learn a f*** to progress more.

Lol! RS is just a tool. All memorization happens in your brain. Play the same song for 6 hours and see if you can remember it. Then do the same the day after. Thats how the pros do it.

• Like 1

How many Rocksmith users ever played in a school band or orchestra? Orchestras use sheet music and players must read the notes or at least follow along and use the sheet music for reference.

I used to play using MM but I play a wide variety of Rocksmith dlc and resigned myself to learning to sight read the note highway. My focus is improving my technique, moving my fret hand where its needed, etc. Where I make the most mistakes is actually with my picking hand.

There are some songs that I want to be able to play outside of Rocksmith, so I usually just try and play as much as I can without using Rocksmith. If I get stuck, I can use it for a quick reference but as it has been mentioned, repetition is key and training your memory by forcing yourself to rely on it.

To answer the question of learning a new song, depends on the difficulty for me. There are songs that I can get in the 90 percent range the first time around and others that maybe I only get 50 percent. If I get 50 percent the first time, it will probably take me a few weeks and some Riff Repeater work to improve to a playable level.