Open frethand muted notes

droxid

Question

Hey there!

So I wonder about this for a long time and it never seemed that important to me but I regulary had this during the last days in official dlc and cdlc.

I couldn't find a good answer searching for it here or on google.

How do I play open notes frethand muted? How do I do this with guitar and especially with bass?

The game often shows specifically on which fret I should mute the notes with "normal" frethand muted notes/chords, so where the hack do I have to frethand mute open notes? A logical answer for me would be with the right hand but then there should be a palm mute symbol, not a frethand mute symbol. But its clearly a small cross that indicates frethand mute...

It gets more confusing when we talk about fingerpicked bass. The new Incubus dlc has various open frethand mutes, and should be fingerpicked. I watched the Incubus developer stream to get an answer but it seemed to me they just ignore the mute symbol and play a normal open string.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

• Administrator

Anywhere is the best answer for that...

Frethand mute on open string isn't really a thing that should be indicated but when you have a section of open string and frethand mute in the middle, it's cleaner to indicate the frethand mute on the open string than on whatever fret the hand is supposed to mute.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Administrator

well it's rarely ever anywhere as your fret hand position is likely to be in a defined place when encountering that frethand mute making the place kinda obvious for the player (you can also control this by defining fret hand position yourself in EOF if it doesn't seems too obvious).

Fret hand position is something that is very underestimated as an indicator when playing yet it's a very powerful one and shouldn't be neglected.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity