Start over from scratch to play, but left-handed

Nithrash

Question

hello guys, I'm left-handed, but the sound from the right guitar for almost 10 years, but I always had trouble playing it and always with doubts and dissatisfaction especially with regard to the hand with a pick, I never played naturally but always with the feeling of being forced. I just now came the bright idea of ​​turning the guitar strings and start from scratch lefty just helping with Rocksmith and try this new adventure ... do you think it is a good idea to start all over again, how much time it should or would be a madness?? Thanks in advance for your advice possible and apologize if I write bad English.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

11 answers to this question

hello guys, I'm left-handed, but the sound from the right guitar for almost 10 years, but I always had trouble playing it and always with doubts and dissatisfaction especially with regard to the hand with a pick, I never played naturally but always with the feeling of being forced. I just now came the bright idea of ​​turning the guitar strings and start from scratch lefty just helping with Rocksmith and try this new adventure ... do you think it is a good idea to start all over again, how much time it should or would be a madness?? Thanks in advance for your advice possible and apologize if I write bad English.

i am the same as you, a lefty but using right handed guitar. i found it easier to get access to right handed guitars over the years either buying, borrowing... i have been playing right handed but find it hard sometimes pulling off certain techniques. i was tempted a few times to switch one of my guitars to left hand, just to see if i can play better. i hope it works for you, as i find i get frusterated at times with playing guitar and i always wonder if it is because i am naturally left hand but using right handed guitars. thanks to your post i might just try this too. as i have a few guitars and changing one to lefty wouldn't be too big an issue, and i could always switch it back if i do not see any beneficial change.

i am the same as you, a lefty but using right handed guitar. i found it easier to get access to right handed guitars over the years either buying, borrowing... i have been playing right handed but find it hard sometimes pulling off certain techniques. i was tempted a few times to switch one of my guitars to left hand, just to see if i can play better. i hope it works for you, as i find i get frusterated at times with playing guitar and i always wonder if it is because i am naturally left hand but using right handed guitars. thanks to your post i might just try this too. as i have a few guitars and changing one to lefty wouldn't be too big an issue, and i could always switch it back if i do not see any beneficial change.
hello, nice to know that there is someone else with the same situation as me :) I first Rocksmith had tried to reverse the ropes and try to play left-handed but I had given up after a few minutes because it seemed so strange and different, but as I said before, only today I got the idea, why the hell did not I think before, I can help me with Rocksmith and start completely from the right leader to try and see what happens, because the theory already know so I should be more an advantage compared to a beginner. However prove yourself, I'll start next week, I'm really curious because if I could not play either left-handed, I think abandon forever the guitar, because I will not continue to betray myself and doing something forced and without satisfaction, and sound for nearly 10 years as an autodidact.

I'm also left-handed, and I also learned to play right-handed because it's easier to find a guitar.

I do have some problems with the picking hand, it's really hard to switch the angle of the hand to perform upstrokes, sometimes I hit strings out of the range of the chord. it may be that I just suck at playing though.

I recently found out that fingerstyle feels much better to play.

from time to time I also have these ideas about trying to play it left-handed, but it never worked for me. it feels really awkward trying to form chord shapes with my right hand, my right hand is really stiff. I actually wonder how right-handed people do this with their left hands.

good luck with your endeavour

It's always easier to give the exact position & move faster the fingers of your usual hand.

try to move as fast as possible your fingers & simulate chords positions on left hand & do the same on right hand.

as you've already played guitar since a while it's not as visible as someone who have never played.

you have far more dexterity on the fingers of your usual hand.

When you play guitar what is the hardest ?

hiting strings or adopting the right finger's placement on the strings ?

I think it's finger's placement, playing with a right hand guitar while your lefty gives you an advantage according to me.

You'll win a lot of speed but you'll lose the dexterity for chords (& it will be hard to reach your actual level).

I've start guitar hero with my brother (a lefty) he plays like a right handed, his progression curve was at least 10x faster than mine.

Besides it gives Lefty's more choices when you buy right hands guitars.

Everybody plays this way there must be a reason, but honestly the only advantage i can see is more speed & precision on the pickup hand.

It's always easier to give the exact position & move faster the fingers of your usual hand.

try to move as fast as possible your fingers & simulate chords positions on left hand & do the same on right hand.

as you've already played guitar since a while it's not as visible as someone who have never played.

you have far more dexterity on the fingers of your usual hand.

When you play guitar what is the hardest ?

hiting strings or adopting the right finger's placement on the strings ?

I think it's finger's placement, playing with a right hand guitar while your lefty gives you an advantage according to me.

You'll win a lot of speed but you'll lose the dexterity for chords (& it will be hard to reach your actual level).

I've start guitar hero with my brother (a lefty) he plays like a right handed, his progression curve was at least 10x faster than mine.

Besides it gives Lefty's more choices when you buy right hands guitars.

Everybody plays this way there must be a reason, but honestly the only advantage i can see is more speed & precision on the pickup hand.

I'll explain, I with the right or the hand holding the Pletto, I always had a little difficulty or better hand feel stiffer than the left which is looser and it moves faster, in fact with the keyboard then I have so much trouble except for solos, however, why in all these years I have always found it difficult to play thrash metal style fast pieces such as metal because the right hand is always stiff and tense and I can not follow the pace well.
I made a big mistake to play from the right despite being left-handed, in fact after almost ten begin to realize that it is useless to continue to play this way because so much else is always something that stops me and she can not make me go totally putting in uncomfortable with myself.
Now I would like to give a chance playing left-handed, trying with Rocksmith, I can try for a few months up to three, and see what happens if I do not see it does not work for me the guitar will become just a memory and not sorry indeed, prefer not continue to hurt me rather than playing against their will :)
  • Like 1

guys, I tried to play left-handed, and it is a bad feeling, and how to take for the first time the guitar, the hand on the keyboard and rigid can not move unless by crushing a few notes, and as if a right-handed ate holding a fork with his left hand, and I eat with my left ... the only positive thing is the posture of the pick with the left hand can hold it better and feel more free, here I realized how stupid I was not to have started immediately to learn from left-handed, I would become a great guitar player in my opinion more natural, but now that I've tried, I realized that it is virtually impossible to relearn it would take a very long time, perhaps years, and a lot of patience, but in nearly 30 years impossible to have the vision and the desire to start over ... so, I realized something, maybe it's better to improve the problems I sounding like I always have, otherwise risk of even reverse the brain XD. I tried I was curious, but it is folly to start from scratch after years of experience. :)

guys, I tried to play left-handed, and it is a bad feeling, and how to take for the first time the guitar, the hand on the keyboard and rigid can not move unless by crushing a few notes, and as if a right-handed ate holding a fork with his left hand, and I eat with my left ... the only positive thing is the posture of the pick with the left hand can hold it better and feel more free, here I realized how stupid I was not to have started immediately to learn from left-handed, I would become a great guitar player in my opinion more natural, but now that I've tried, I realized that it is virtually impossible to relearn it would take a very long time, perhaps years, and a lot of patience, but in nearly 30 years impossible to have the vision and the desire to start over ... so, I realized something, maybe it's better to improve the problems I sounding like I always have, otherwise risk of even reverse the brain XD. I tried I was curious, but it is folly to start from scratch after years of experience. :)

well at least you tried, you know and can stick with how you have been playing. i will probably try it myself the next time i need to change the strings on one of my guitars.

well at least you tried, you know and can stick with how you have been playing. i will probably try it myself the next time i need to change the strings on one of my guitars.

let me know how it goes :)

Heh, wish I could remember the musician who said this, but paraphrasing, he said, "What is the point of a left handed guitar? They don't make left handed pianos." 

I think the real issue is most left handed people have a far greater difference in dexterity between their dominant and non-dominant hands. And that isn't going to be fixed which way someone plays.