Chordify Testing

Chlipouni

Introduction :

This post is intended for @@raynebc and @@Berneer about the new "Chordify" status.

The test case :

When I define this in EOF :

chordify_example.png

EOF generates this XML code :

<chordTemplates count="1">
    <chordTemplate chordName="G" displayName="G" ... fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="0" fret3="0" fret4="12" fret5="10"/>
  </chordTemplates>
  <notes count="4">
    <note time="2.000" linkNext="0" fret="0" string="2" sustain="0.375" .../>
    <note time="2.000" linkNext="0" fret="0" string="3" sustain="0.625" .../>
    <note time="2.000" linkNext="0" fret="12" string="4" sustain="1.000" .../>
    <note time="2.000" linkNext="0" fret="10" string="5" sustain="2.000" .../>
  </note>
  <chords count="1">
    <chord time="2.000" linkNext="0" chordId="0" highDensity="1" .../>
  </chords>

This template works in RS2014 but :

- highDensity is forced to "1" to avoid display glitches due to open notes in the chord

- single notes are displayed with a rotated effect in RS2014 which is not usual to display the chord notes

After a few investigations, I think that I have found a way to improve this template in order to avoid its two associated issues.

The modified template :

The following code show the modifed template (made manually for now) :
  <chordTemplates count="1">
    <chordTemplate chordName="G" displayName="G" ... fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="0" fret3="0" fret4="12" fret5="10"/>
  </chordTemplates>
  <notes count="4">
    <note time="2.005" linkNext="0" fret="0" string="2" sustain="0.375" ... />
    <note time="2.005" linkNext="0" fret="0" string="3" sustain="0.625" ... />
    <note time="2.005" linkNext="0" fret="12" string="4" sustain="1.000" ... />
    <note time="2.005" linkNext="0" fret="10" string="5" sustain="2.000" ... />
  </notes>
  <chords count="1">
    <chord time="2.000" linkNext="1" chordId="0" highDensity="0">
      <chordNote time="2.000" linkNext="1" fret="0" string="2" sustain="0.005" ... />
      <chordNote time="2.000" linkNext="1" fret="0" string="3" sustain="0.005" ... />
    </chord>
  </chords>

The modifications are :

- The "highDensity" of the chord has been set to "0" (as intended to display the full box)

- Two "chordNote" tags has been added in the "chord" only for the two open notes (to avoid the display glitch)

- The single notes have their start time setted to 0.005 later than the start time of the chord (to apply the "linknext" status)

- The "linkNext" status has been setted to 1 for the "chord" tag and the two "chordNote" tags (to avoid the display of the single notes heads and the associated rotated effect)

- The "sustain" of the two "chordNote" tags has been setted to "0.005" in order to keep the global consistency (but this may be optional)

The final result :

And the final result is :

This looks like it could complicate things, such as if the chord didn't have sustain to begin with or if the next note in the chart was too close to add sustain to the chordified chord.  I'd like to see what Berneer thinks.  If you both think this would be a good way to improve how this mechanism works, maybe this could be the behavior if the user explicitly marks a chordified chord with crazy status to try to force it to export as low density?  Is the 5ms a requirement or could the linked notes be closer than that and still work just as well in-game?

Haha I was about to start a topic. Not only did you beat me to it, but you came up with a great new proposal to allow low density chordifed chords with open strings not producing the game's inherent visual glitch, and you've found a brilliant way to tidy up those previously-believed-to-be-necessary-evil crossed shaped rotating note heads on low density chordified chords with sustaining notes, all the while maintains the ability to have differing sustains on different strings of a chord which the game doesn't allow for normal chords.

I contacted you to help make DDC work with Chordify but you helped improve and make more appealing this Chordify feature upon which I've spent so many hours :) . Thanks chlipouni, I now better see what you were heading towards in our string of PM's! The LinkNext on the chord time tag is brilliant! I hadn't considered a partial set of <chord notes> when testing. Nice. So I'll make sure via testing that even with no open notes in a chord, i.e. Note <chord note> tags, that linkNext in the <chord time> tag still renders the single notes with unrotating note heads.

I'Ll have to repeat some tests, testing that techniques such as palm mutes, etc, will work with this idea. It should. I expect no issues.

With this proposed change from chlipouni I suspect the single notes are still going to be "ignored" single notes to prevent multi-scoring of the 1 chord with multiple single notes. The only disadvantage of having the single notes ignored is that the frets on each side of a single note flash quickly regardless the note is successfully played. Some people in the CS using Score Attack might object if the single notes aren't set to ignore. Without setting single notes on Chordified chords to ignore =1, those using RR will will wonder where that inflated miss count comes from. Blinking or miscounting, which is the lessor evil? I believe ODLC with linkNext count as multiple missed so maybe it can be argued that aesthetics trump scoring...

I'm half way finished my 2nd rough draft of the chordify tutorial. It's taking a while due to limited free time but slowly but surely I am getting there.

Cheers chlipouni!

I guess the question to @@raynebc is whether this is implementable EoF-side. I expect it is because it involves no chord template or hanshape tag changes and involves just shifting single notes to the right a few milliseconds, applying linkNext to <chord time> tags of chordified chords, and adding <chord note> tags for only open notes in the chord.

Plum is gonna love all this potential "eye-candy" as he calls it... :)

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

This looks like it could complicate things, such as if the chord didn't have sustain to begin with or if the next note in the chart was too close to add sustain to the chordified chord.  I'd like to see what Berneer thinks.  If you both think this would be a good way to improve how this mechanism works, maybe this could be the behavior if the user explicitly marks a chordified chord with crazy status to try to force it to export as low density?  Is the 5ms a requirement or could the linked notes be closer than that and still work just as well in-game?

I'd certainly need to perform a few tests to spot and weed out any aberrant behaviour.

When I started working on this I thought chordify would sometimes be used without sustain but really the most common use will be sustaining chords with varying sustain on different chords. So normally there will be sustain. 5ms or 1ms or whatever should be fine.

I'd have to test what happens in my sustaining e10 example while unsustained B12hB13pB12hB10 is authored with sustain plus stop tech notes plus the shifted-over single notes required to allow linkNext on <chord time> Tag to prevent rotating note heads coming down the highway.

But assuming it works you'd no longer have to force chords with open strings to be high density, let alone crazy status to make it so. It would be, assuming it is not too complicated to code EoF-side, a default behaviour of chordify. If the shift is less than 5ms I suspect follow-on note will not get in the way.

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

So no changes to chords that don't have open strings are needed?  Should we stick with 5ms or should I try a lower distance?  Do we want to consider also shortening the sustain for the chord a comparable amount so that it doesn't end up extending longer than defined in the project?

@@raynebc,

I have used a period of 5ms for testing purpose. A shorter period of time would be able to work as well.

The main objective of this time delay is to apply a linknext status between the chord and the single notes.

In my opinion it should be better to apply this template for all chords with a "chordify" status, whatever the density or the presence of open notes in the chord. The main reason for this is about the DDC logic which already manages these cases of chord with linked single notes.

Another reason is to simplify the code of tools with a unique template.

I hope that @@Berneer testing will confirm this new way to manage the chordify status ...

Thanks

Yes if you move the single notes 2ms, say, then the open <chord note> sustains would correspondingly be 2ms.

I would use the same logic as normal chords in terms of default density of chordified chords. I've just tested a case with a e0/B12 chord followed by an e0/B12 chordified chord and the 2nd chord, the chordified one currently gets displayed as Low Density like the 1st chord. Probably fine since we have control over density with high dens and crazy status. Whatever you prefer as a default is fine. I would've maybe leaned towards normal chord behaviour and shown the 2nd chordified chord as high density.

I didn't have time to take screenshots before leaving for work but I can already share my test results in the following Google Drive folder. containing notes.eof, original XML, modded XML and psarc. Recommend you download the Notepad++ "compare plugin" to compare XML if you don't already have such a plugin. I've tested all the cases of interest (no technique, HOPO sequence, Palm mute sequence) and all of them work splendidly (no cross shaped gems and no visual glitchs on the Tenacious D, (aka Ex 2k) example except for Palm Mute where current EoF export works fine but the modded export doesn't display with a palm mute on the first B-string note of the sequence for all 3 Palm mute types of Chordify authorings. I'll see later if I can get this to work somehow.

Note the only difference with chlipouni's method is that however amount later than the <chord time> tags the <note time> tags are set to must be deducted from the single note sustain duration since we are chaining together notes after the chordified chord.
Ex: I used 1ms offset instead of 5ms, so e0 single note sustain of 2.000 becomes 1.999. B12 single note sustain of 0.500 becomes 0.499.

I'll summarize everything with screenshots by tomorrow when I can find the time.

Edit: I've just added a psarc to the Google Drive folder with the UnModded (I named it "_Original") EoF export version (May 27 Hotfix) and that one has no problems displaying the B12 palm muted notes that fail to display in the modded version. Again, I'll try to figure out why later.

Edit 2: Work be damned, I want to progress on this... :) So I've created all the screenshots and annotated them. They could be found in the above Google Drive folder link. I've also added screenshots of what EoF exports without the chlipouni mod. I'll examine this more closely later. Darn, Italy play Sweden in 15 minutes... Now I really don't want to go to work.... :)

OK, so thinking about this new proposed methodology a little more, I'm realizing that the test results from my last post are logical and that palm muting, and most other techniques, by extension, will not appear on such a chordified authoring because placing the ignored superimposing single notes after the chord, even if by mere milliseconds, in this case with Palm Muting status, will apply LinkNext from the <chord time> tag to link and remove the palm mute note head on the first B12 which the offset ignored single note is tasked with doing.

@@raynebc and I have determined in April that to apply techniques upon a chordified chord requires a minimum 1ms sustaining ignored single note at the same time stamp as the chordified chord. If you recheck the screenshots from my previous post, relinked here, I have added to both image files, a third row of screenshots, at the bottom, that shows what happens if we apply chlipouni's method, but with the exception that the <chord time> linknext=0 instead of 1, leaving linkNext=1 only inside the correpsonding <chordNote> tag.

The result is a partial victory. We now get to display low density chordified chords that contain open strings without a visual glitch. So now we can have a full chord box (or rather goal posts for 2 string chords) that doesn't potentially fail to encapsulate all chord notes displayed, and that shows the chord label. Where the victory is only a partial one, is that unlinking the unauthored but displaying unrotating chord note (B12) from the ignored palm muted single note (B12) occurring 1ms later, reintroduces the rotating cross shaped note head (superimposition of chord note and single note).  Sounds like we'll have to take what we can get and accept the price of a rotating note head.

So my recommendation is as follows to try to make DDC, EoF and user-friendliness maximized. 

Case 1: Low Density Chordified Chord - No techniques (specifically on the chordified chord) - No open strings

• use chlipouni method
    • improves upon current method by having unrotating fretted unauthored chord notes, looking more like a normal chord
    • also applicable to some of the notes of chordified chord being unsustained (example the B12 note)
    • <note time="100.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... ignore="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.499" .../>
      <note time="100.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="10"  ... ignore="1" ... string="5" sustain="1.999" .../>
      <note time="100.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="13" ... ignore="0" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" .../>
      <note time="101.000" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... ignore="0" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" .../>
      <note time="101.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="10" ... ignore="0" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" .../>
      <chord time="100.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="##" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down"/>

Note: I put chordId=## because this is a theoretical authoring I didn't record in EoF in my above post since this is an e10/B12 chordified chord. I randomly chose a time stamp of 100s.

Case 2: Low Density Chordified Chord - No techniques (specifically on the chordified chord) - With open strings

• use chlipouni method
    • again improves upon current method by having unrotating fretted unauthored chord notes, looking more like a normal chord
    • also applicable to some of the notes of chordified chord being unsustained (example the B12 note) - see Image 1, sequences 2 and 3.
    • see XML code below for Image 1, Sequence 1 from above linked Google Drive directory:
      • <note time="8.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... hammerOn="0" ... ignore="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.499"/>
        <note time="8.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="0"  ... hammerOn="0" ... ignore="1" leftHand="-1" ... string="5" sustain="1.999" .../>
        <note time="8.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="13" ... hammerOn="1" ... ignore="0" leftHand="-1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" .../>
        <note time="9.000" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... hammerOn="0" ... ignore="0" leftHand="-1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" .../>
        <note time="9.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="10" ... hammerOn="0" ... ignore="0" leftHand="-1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" .../>
        <chord time="8.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
           <chordNote time="8.000" linkNext="1" ... fret="0" hammerOn="0" ... ignore="0" ... string="5" sustain="0.001" ... />
        </chord>

Case 3: Low Density Chordified Chord - With techniques (specifically on the chordified chord) - No open strings

• use chlipouni method but with LinkNext=0 inside <chord time> tag
    • rotating cross-shaped note heads coming down the high on the chordified chord
    • also applicable to some of the notes of chordified chord being unsustained (example the B12 note)
    • <note time="120.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... ignore="1" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.499" ... />
      <note time="120.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="10" ... ignore="1" ... palmMute="1" ... string="5" sustain="1.999" ... />
      <note time="120.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="13" ... ignore="0" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" ... />
      <note time="121.000" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... ignore="0" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" ... />
      <note time="121.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="10" ... ignore="0" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" ... />
      <chord time="120.000" linkNext="0" ... chordId="999" ... highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="1" ..."/>

Note: I put chordId=999 because this is a theoretical authoring I didn't record in EoF in my above post since this is an e10/B12 chordified chord. I randomly chose a time stamp of 120s.

Case 4: Low Density Chordified Chord - With techniques (specifically on the chordified chord) - With open strings

• use chlipouni method but with LinkNext=0 inside <chord time> tag
    • rotating cross-shaped note heads coming down the high on the chordified chord
    • see XML code below for Image 2, Sequence 1 from above linked Google Drive directory. No need to show code for Image 2 Sequences 2,3,4 since same logic.:
    • <note time="20.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... ignore="1" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.499" ... />
      <note time="20.001" linkNext="0" ... fret="0"  ... ignore="1" ... palmMute="1" ... string="5" sustain="1.999" ... />
      <note time="20.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="13" ... ignore="0" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" ... />
      <note time="21.000" linkNext="0" ... fret="12" ... ignore="0" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" ... />
      <note time="21.500" linkNext="0" ... fret="10" ... ignore="0" ... palmMute="1" ... string="4" sustain="0.500" ... />
      <chord time="20.000" linkNext="0" ... chordId="14" ... highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="1" ...">
         <chordNote time="20.000" linkNext="1" ... fret="0" ... ignore="0" ... palmMute="1" ... string="5" sustain="0.001" .../>
      </chord>

Case 5: High Density Chordified Chord - No techniques (specifically on the chordified chord) - With or Without open strings

• use chlipouni method merely for consistency and DDC.
  • Similar XML to above except with highdensity="1" in the <chord time> tag

Case 6: High Density Chordified Chord - With techniques (specifically on the chordified chord) - With or Without open strings

• use chlipouni method but with LinkNext=0 inside <chord time> tag, merely for consistency and DDC.
  • for palm mutes or fret hand mutes there will be redundant large chord box "X"  as well as single note "x" inside the note heads.
  • Similar XML to above except with highdensity="1" in the <chord time> tag

- So would therefore be no need to force high density anymore on chordified chords with open strings if we follow chlipouni's proposal.

- Of course crazy and hi dens should still override the default to low density and high density respectively.

- Since chordify can chain with follow-on notes, we must subtract the single note sustain by the amount the single notes time stamps are offset from the chordified chord time stamps.

- Is DDC better served by this? Any other DDC-related thoughts?

- Is changing EoF as shown above feasible? Once EoF wouldbe updated I would make sure to retest and complete my testing with the new methodology.

So what do you guys think?

If we go forward with this for now I'll continue writing other parts of the tutorial while these new EoF and DDC features are ready. Then I will make sure with additional testing to make sure we didn't overlook anything.

Cheers!

P.S. I am now happy to have greater understanding regarding redundant tags in correspding <chord time> and <chord note> tags, such as linkNext appearing in both. chlipouni explained to me that ODLC actually regularly make use of hybrid chords containing only open string <chord notes> inside,  to avoid the open strings visual glitch. (Aside: You'd wonder why they would have to by-pass a glitch which they could fix themselves in their software.... :) ...). EoF was apparently coded long ago to  simply add all of string's chord notes, but in the ODLC case of hybrid open chord notes and fretted single notes to create a chord, the redundant linlnext's in each tag makes sense: Linknext in the <chord note> applies specifically to that chord note and linkNext in the <chord time> tag will additionally apply to the chord strings for which no <chord note> tags are exported. My latest tests (3rd row of screenshots) prove this by linking only the open note but not the fretted notes.

Not that it is at all necessary to read this now, @@raynebc (@@Chlipouni did to better understand DDC implications) but I guess it can't hurt to share a Word version of my Chordify tutorial which is now undergoing a 2nd rough draft. This is a link to my backup copy that'll keep evolving as I add to it. I back it up every time I work in it and the link will stay current. I guess I'm posting it here for anyone that wants to see what's cooking regarding Chordify tutorial and understand chordify until the tutorial is finalized.

The Google Drive folder in which the tutorial currently resides also contains supporting material, most noteworthy being animated GIF's which, Word won't animate.

Note there are lots of images which inflate the page count:

• Pages 1-15 - A 2nd rough draft, almost in final quality - worthwhile reading for those not yet familiar with chordify, while we await the tutorial being posted.
  • Pages 16-37 - a full copy of my 1st rough draft which is more of a "jot dot every single pertinent information which I'll sort later". As I progress sort 1st draft info into the appropriate location in the 2nd draft I grey out the first draft stuff. Yellow highlight means I need to examine this a little more to ensure acuracy. - not really a worthwhile read
  • Pages 39-47 - Rough drafts of the examples for the end of the final tutorial. - Worthwhile to read.

Page numbers listed above will vary after today, as I progress on the tutorial.

Obviously implementing chipouni's method would imply some but not many changes to the tutorial. 

The new hotfix implements the changes as I understand them.  Now, the affected chord tag will export with linknext unless for some reason (ie. user did not force note sustains on any of the notes in the chord) no single notes were created as a result of the chordify status.  The single notes that are created are moved forward 1ms and shortened by 1ms (unless they were only 1ms long to begin with).  Please test it out and let me know if I need to correct the export behavior to achieve the desired results.

Edit: I forgot to change the logic that forces low density of the chordified chord tag if it contains open notes. Please confirm whether I should go ahead and remove that logic.

• Like 1

Yep, I'd remove that logic per chlipouni's findings.

Edit: Rereading your last edit, @@raynebc, per chlipouni's findings I'd no longer force HIGH density on chordified chords with open strings. Now you can allow a default density per normal game rules and hi dens or crazy status can reverse the default.

Thanks @@raynebc, Just passed the latest series of test cases through the the Hotfix 6-19-2016 BETA, everything needed is there except one thing: the chord note tags since the series in this test contain Case 2 and Case 4 example (open strings requiring <chord note> tags.

EoF Hotfix 6-19-2016 Beta exports the following:

<chord time="2.500" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
<chord time="8.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
<chord time="12.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
<chord time="16.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
<chord time="20.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="1" hopo="0" strum="down">
<chord time="24.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
<chord time="28.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
<chord time="33.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">

But it should export the following:

<chord time="2.500" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="2.500" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>
<chord time="8.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="8.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>
<chord time="12.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="12.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>
<chord time="16.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="16.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>
<chord time="20.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="1" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="20.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="1" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>
<chord time="24.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="24.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>
<chord time="28.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="28.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>
<chord time="33.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="33.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>

Note also per my latest observations from Post #9 above from two days ago that we'd need the <chord time> tag's linkNext="0" and the <chord name> tag's linkNext="1".

Thanks for the quick responses and Hotfixes.

Cheers!

Actually, let me correct my previous post. The chordied chords at 8s, 12s, 16s are Case 2 so both the <chordtime> and the <chordnote> tags should have a linknext="1". This will do away with cross-shaped notes , unlike Case 4 where the linkNext=0 in the <chordtime> which will have cross-shaped fretted notes but at least will allow techniques such as palm mute.

Sorry for any confusion.

Hi guys,

Thanks again raynebc!

So, we're one step closer. Now you are perfectly aligned with chlipouni's proposal. The extra needed from thia point is to make palm mutes (techniques) work by setting the linkNext=0 in the <chord time> tag while the <chord note> tag inside the <chord time> tag remains linkNext=1. This shows the palm mute at the expense of rotating note head which seems to be a compromise we must make to display techniques. But at least when there is no technique in the chordified chord, such as in the in the first four and last sequence of the examples we've been looking at in the last few days and GIF'd below, then setting linkNext=0 only in the <chord time> tag, we get rid of the rotating cross shaped note problem (as seen on the B12.) This is what I've been calling Case 2.

Have a look at this GIF. It contains all your changes PLUS having <chord time> linkNext=0 and <chordNote>=1 on the first 4 sequnces as well as the last one (Case 2). On the 5th, 6th, 7th sequences (Case 4), it has linkNext=1 on both the <chordNote> and <chordtime> tags.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Hotfix06-20-2016Beta%20-%20Modded%20XML%20adding%20LinkNext0%20in%20chordtime%20tag%20on%20PM%20cases_zpsbd8ldgzf.gif

Here is a link to the note.eof, the original and modded XML (shown in GIF) as well as both correspdonding psarcs.

XML exported by Hotfix 06-20-2016BETA

<chords count="9">
        <chord time="2.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="2.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="12" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
          <chordNote time="2.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="2.500" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="2.500" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
          <chordNote time="8.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="12.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="12.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="16.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="16.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="20.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="1" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="20.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="1" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="24.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="24.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="28.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="28.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="33.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="33.000" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.001" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
      </chords>

XML modded with proposed additional changes:

<chords count="9">
        <chord time="2.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
          <chordNote time="2.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="12" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
          <chordNote time="2.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        </chord>
        </chord>
        </chord>
        </chord>
        <chord time="20.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="1" hopo="0" strum="down">
        </chord>
        <chord time="24.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
        </chord>
        <chord time="28.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="14" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
        </chord>
        </chord>
      </chords>

Unfortunately I cannot answer that with 100% certainty yet because I paused testing of pitched, unpitched slides, bends, pre-bends and vibrato with chordify in order to start writing the tutorial before I'd forget things I already worked on.

Plus I am at work and cannot test anything right now. :) I should bring a laptop to work , LOL

So I'd say a safe bet is that any technique that alters a note head needs to be coded like palm mutes with regards to chordify (<chordtime> with linkNext=0; <chordNote> with linkNext=1): to my mind, and from memory:

HO,PO, String (fret hand) Mute, Harmonic, Pinch Harmonic, Tap, Slap, pluck (which I think is aka pop (?) Per this video: https://youtu.be/g1wEfV6whx4 )

Not sure about: Accent

Probably no need to update: vibrato, tremolo, arpeggio, bends, pitched slides and unpitched slides.

I based myself on this chart to remind myself of all techniques while at work:

http://m.imgur.com/a/vlxTS

Needless to say I'll confirm this with you when I get home.

I did a brunch of tests to confirm the above post. Just not quite ready to post and need to tweak some tests to be more conclusive. Will probably post early morning Wednesday.

OK, so short answer:

Apply same logic as Palm Mute (<chordtime linkNext = 0>, <chordnote linkNext = 1> ) to the following:

HO,PO, String (fret hand) Mute, Harmonic, Pinch Harmonic, Tap, Slap, pluck(aka pop), Accent(!)

Maintain current Hotfix 06-20-2016 BETA logic to the following:

vibrato,  bends, pitched slides and unpitched slides, (assumed tremolo, arpeggio)

Lacked time to test:

tremolo, arpeggio

Note that pre-bends don't work with the current logic because the pre-bend needs to be simultaneous with the chord. We'll have to think more about that case later. Also regarding pre-bends, with the exception of a pre-bend on an open note (which is moot), EoF won't let me apply a pre-bend tech note to just one or a subset of strings of a chord. Is there a reason to enforce this or can (should) EOF be changed to allow it? On pitched slides I've noted some noteheads that didn't want to disappear so I'll be inspecting that more later.

Please note that the tests conducted were attempted to convey at least somewhat realistic scenarios but will need to be reexamined later by myself, for the tutorial to be examples that a guitarist would play. I've authored some open note vibrato which makes no sense, unless it is meant to convey use of the whammy bar. Apologies for not showing test results in detailed screenshots but that would take hours. I'll do it for the tutorial, but here I guess you just need a conclusion, albeit with the choice of inspecting the results for yourself.

So you can find in this link all the files I used to carry out these tests (includes notes.eof, psarc, original Hotfix 6-20-2016Beta XMLs, modded XML's to beave like Chordfiy Palm Mute logic (i.e. <chordtime linkNext = 0>, <chordnote linkNext = 1> )

Visual Animated GIFS with all test results leading to the above succinct conclusions

1. Harmonics, Pinch Harmonics, Accent Tests

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Harmonics%20amp%20Pinch%20Harmonics%20-%20v8.0_zpsinsyk7hj.png

Zoomable Image Link

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Accent%20-%20v8.0_zpsxg2vxtta.png

ORIGINAL

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/gif_HarmPHarmAccent_Tests_with_Chordifyv8.0_ORIGINAL_zpsopzspsyu.gif

MODDED

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/gif_HarmPHarmAccent_Tests_with_Chordifyv8.0_MODDED_zpspbnlhfpt.gif

2. Tap, Pluck, Slap Tests (MODDED)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Tap%20-%20v8.0_zpscdrxu3c7.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Poppluck%20-%20v8.0_zpsypygmmtw.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Slap%20-%20v8.0_zpst0nzqmjt.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/gif_TapPluckSLap_Tests_with_Chordify_zpsyxqymmhw.gif

3. Hammer-On, Pull-Off, Fret Hand Mute Tests (MODDED)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20HammerOn%20-%20v8.0_zps3vtzlqkb.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20PullOff%20-%20v8.0_zpssesigksr.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20FretHandMutes%20-%20v8.0_zpsyezkcwwm.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/gif_HOPOFHM_Tests_with_Chordify_zpst2g2qsu9.gif

4. Vibrato, Bends, Unpitched Slides, Pitched Slides (MODDED)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Vibrato%20-%20v8.2_zps18oi2wb3.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Bends%20-%20v8.2_zpsgnzqroz6.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Unpitched%20Slides%20-%20v8.2_zpsa90ytnaf.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/EoF%20Screenshot%20-%20Pitched%20Slides%20-%20v8.2_zps9k7njgxm.png

ORIGINAL

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/gif-VibratoUslidesPslides_Tests_with_Chordifyv8.2_ORIGINAL_zpswbsr84ds.gif

MODDED

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Chordify%20Testing/Test%20Hotfix%206-20-2016Beta%20-%20Mod%20LNext0%20CTime/gif-VibratoUslidesPslides_Tests_with_Chordifyv8.2_MODDED_zpsd5ktfh1q.gif

Sometimes animinated GIF's won't render in the post perhaps due to the heavy post. Reload the page until all 6 animinated GIFs show up.

This is a good leg up for me since this was most of the testing I had left. Nice to see Chordfiy will work with all techniques. :)

Happy reading.

Wife to raynebc: "What do you spend so many hours reading down there in the basement?

raynebc: "This guy called Berneer, he's killing me with his long posts."

LOL

@@Chlipouni, have a look at post number 9 in this thread to where I describe the need for this modification to your proposal on some techniques. In short, any technique that changes the look of the note head, such as palm mutes, fret hand mutes, harmonics, pinch harmonics, hammer-on, pull off, slap, pop(pluck), tap, accent needs this adjusted logic.

I guess the question for you will be if you can get that to work in DDC?

if you cannot get it to work easily with DDC then why not level it up as if there were no symbol changing note head technique and then for the top level you can simply copy from the transcription track to the fully intended maximum level authoring .