Problem with bass notes not lasting

Behonkiss

Lately, I've been unable to both play and test songs in RS2014 on bass, because out of nowhere a few days ago, my bass strings started acting up.  Basically, when I strum a string (fingered or picked), it will make a muted, twang-y sound that quickly fades away, though it still makes normal, solid and lasting notes when I strum while holding down on a fret.  Unfortunately, this makes traditional tuning pretty much impossible.  I posted about this on another forum and was told that this likely has to do with how the strings are arranged in the nuts on the headstock, and I've spent a while attempting to properly restring that part, despite having no idea how to go about the proper way since I'm still generally a novice, and I've already broken 2 or 3 strings in the process and am out of spares.

Does anyone have any advice for this?  I've included a picture of the headstock and nuts if that helps.

http://i.imgur.com/A6gvU05.jpg

Yeah, those are the tuners.

The nut is the part at the end of the neck that keeps the strings in place.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like you've got a crossbar -- probably there to place downward pressure on the strings so they sit properly in the slots in the nut. If you look at the photo UKLooney posted, that circular metal piece has the same function.

From what you describe, I'm betting the crossbar has come a bit loose. If you can screw that down a bit, it should cure the problem. No need to restring.

This has nothing to do with your actual problem, but i noticed from your picture that your strings are not properly wired around the mechanics. On your pic the loose ends of the strings are not secured. You can secure them by either putting the loose ends in the holes in the center of the mechanics prior to wiring them around the mechanic (as seen in luminairs pic) or, as you wire them around the mechanic, wire the first coil over the loose end and continue wiring the rest below the loose end in a nice spiral. Either way, you should have at least two full coils wired around each mechanic to ensure the strings wont loosen themselves.

I have to agree, the strings are not strung properly and the lead on them looks like it was a little short. Here is a good lesson on how to string a bass from elixers site. http://www.elixirstrings.com/tipsntricks/replacing-strings_bass.html. Just happened across this yesterday when i was string shopping. Had to settle for some Ernie Ball, no one local had the Elixers I wanted. I kinda live out in the middle of no where and didn't want to wait. Good Luck.

It's good to know that everyone I idolize at one time or another in their career was where I am right now.

xygc1vpatg2zi076g.jpg