Still feeling like a beginner on Rocksmith?

CoachL23

Question

Hi,

I though I would post my progress as I have been a big user of Rocksmith the past few years.

I got into a habit of playing a good 20mins a day booting up the PC on the morning and doing one lesson practice track and a run of what ever song I am working on.

I have found I flitter between songs often depending on what I am listening too at the time.

I got a little down the other day when I realised that I don't feel I am really making the kind of process I need to. I still can't play a full song and and totally messed up when a new chord is shown to me in a song.

I decided to try a different approch.

I went to Justinguitar.com and started his beginner course. I have done this before I had Rocksmith, but now find it much easier to get through the practice sessions and the concepts. Seeing how these skills translate into a song makes practicing much easier. I don't think that I would have this appreciation withough seeing a song flow in the rocksmith format. The speed of changes etc is hard to conprehend just by listening to a track.

I am finding that in a short time of recording my chord changes in a min and breaking down parts of songs in the "beginner song list" I am remembering major chord names and the sound they make without the backing track that Rocksmith seem to have on all songs and practice tracks.

No don't get me wrong I love Rocksmith and it has helped me keep motivated and given me the goal of playing my favorite song on it, but I don't feel that it nurtures the beginner in the right ways. The Major chord scale is the main one for me as soon as I focused on getting these to memory it made me feel like I was progressing.

I hope this helps someone that is in the same situation.

Cheers

• Like 4

hey, was just thinking, i dont use learn a song much, go straight to score attack, as long as its got dynamic difficulty ,

i just got highway star from official site. and made it to the end on easy.with the headphones on it was epic.

sadly a lot of cdlc dosn't have DD, i always send a thank you, to the people who take the time to add DD .

keep rockin.

ps i learnt a bit . by watching uploads of rocksmith videos , on YT, really helped.

I found a few times where DD actually made playing a song more problematic than it needed to be e.g. providing odd fingering, which when DD is increased to 100% turns out to a barred chord or similar, I find often the best route is crank DD to 100% and drop the song to 50% speed, then increase 10% each time you've nailed it completely, up until 80% then increase  in increments of 5% speed.

hey, was just thinking, i dont use learn a song much, go straight to score attack, as long as its got dynamic difficulty ,

i just got highway star from official site. and made it to the end on easy.with the headphones on it was epic.

sadly a lot of cdlc dosn't have DD, i always send a thank you, to the people who take the time to add DD .

keep rockin.

ps i learnt a bit . by watching uploads of rocksmith videos , on YT, really helped.

I found a few times where DD actually made playing a song more problematic than it needed to be e.g. providing odd fingering, which when DD is increased to 100% turns out to a barred chord or similar, I find often the best route is crank DD to 100% and drop the song to 50% speed, then increase 10% each time you've nailed it completely, up until 80% then increase  in increments of 5% speed.

Yes I have tried DD and found that it changes the some too much. have 100% of the song chopped into sections with RR and know the speed down. This seems the best way to take it in.

Cheers

I found the same things of feeling like a beginner. I overcame them essentially through the idea of "trial by fire" - by forcing yourself to play songs above your current playing level, you're forcing yourself to adapt to the song in a way in which you don't with DD. Something I strongly recommend for someone that learns best when challenging themselves is to go into the game settings and set the setting "Override To Max" on. This won't work for everyone, as not everyone learns the same, however, it can't hurt to try. I went from 82 something on The Trooper to 90 something on lead (I'll get an imgur link when I'm out of school). The most challenging part of this method is motivation, and this is not how I would tell someone who just picked up a guitar for the first time in their life to learn. I switched to sightreading after about a year. 

• Like 1

"You take it from me, eventually someone's gonna take it from you too. Secrets get passed around. And all sorts of people are going to die for the secrets. That's the curse of power." - Delford "Iraq" Wade - Watch Dogs

I feel so far away, minutes turn to hours and the hours into days - "I Don't Belong Here" - I Prevail

They're so ignorant, they don't understand, you were always longing for a chance - "Wasteland" - EarlyRise

I watched but never really listened as the whole world passed me by - "I Apologize" - Five Finger Death Punch

Have you ever had a dream? Would you fight for it? Would you go to war? Would you die for it? - "Bow Down" - I Prevail

Happy new year Forgers!! another January is apone me and musical ambitions are still here. I have had a change of circumstances later part of last year so I plan on using the extra time I have constructively. I picked up the guitar for the first time in a few months and felt a bit lost straight off. Had a shocker on a few new songs that came up easy difficulty on the filter list. Cochise....I guess but working out how to place your fingers in the best way to hit the riff felt hard.

Thought I could not finish on a low so the all time favorite "Do you wanna know" Arctic monkeys  played a solid 85% felt better so finished with "fluorescent adolescence"

will keep plugging getting the songs i like playing good sounding.

I also bought a keyboard so I got hopes that progress on one will feed the other.

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

Man - it´s great to read your progress posts .... you will have heard that ;) but:

i really really really you should join in and play in the championships every other week.

Do not try to learn keyboard also... focus on your guitar.

Rock,

Rodders

• Like 2

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

Man - it´s great to read your progress posts .... you will have heard that ;) but:

i really really really you should join in and play in the championships every other week.

Do not try to learn keyboard also... focus on your guitar.

Rock,

Rodders

Cheers Rodders!! I did get the piano and I am on day 8 of a minimum of 15 mins a day.

Simply piano it a great app and I feel I am making good progress.

A strange thing has happened though I have actually picked up the guitar more!! I find that I am learning a riff slowly on the piano then picking up the guitar and doing the same. An the interest in music is strong right now.

Discovered John Mayer - Neon last night OMG why did I not know this existed!!

I'm doing some finger picking practice I really need to get that skill.

In other news I found a interesting post on Reddit about using Rocksmith effectively, it's a lot of what people have already told be with a few tweeks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/4529dt/a_guide_how_to_use_rocksmith_efficiently_also/ 

• Like 1