Still feeling like a beginner on Rocksmith?

CoachL23

Question

Hi,

I though I would post my progress as I have been a big user of Rocksmith the past few years.

I got into a habit of playing a good 20mins a day booting up the PC on the morning and doing one lesson practice track and a run of what ever song I am working on.

I have found I flitter between songs often depending on what I am listening too at the time.

I got a little down the other day when I realised that I don't feel I am really making the kind of process I need to. I still can't play a full song and and totally messed up when a new chord is shown to me in a song.

I decided to try a different approch.

I went to Justinguitar.com and started his beginner course. I have done this before I had Rocksmith, but now find it much easier to get through the practice sessions and the concepts. Seeing how these skills translate into a song makes practicing much easier. I don't think that I would have this appreciation withough seeing a song flow in the rocksmith format. The speed of changes etc is hard to conprehend just by listening to a track.

I am finding that in a short time of recording my chord changes in a min and breaking down parts of songs in the "beginner song list" I am remembering major chord names and the sound they make without the backing track that Rocksmith seem to have on all songs and practice tracks.

No don't get me wrong I love Rocksmith and it has helped me keep motivated and given me the goal of playing my favorite song on it, but I don't feel that it nurtures the beginner in the right ways. The Major chord scale is the main one for me as soon as I focused on getting these to memory it made me feel like I was progressing.

I hope this helps someone that is in the same situation.

Cheers

• Like 4

I have to agree with you.In fact I have a love /hate concept of Rocksmith. I´m in a point that relying completely of Rocksmith is useless right now because I think I´d reached a stall point were I cannot longer learn exclusively from it but still I use it as an active complement.

I´m afraid that RS don´t help me to develop muscle memory, in facts it´s quite the opposite. Maybe it´s just me but I feel it that way.

So I recently asked myself: Is Rocksmith actually for beginners or mostly medium/advanced players?

However I can´t deny Rocksmith motivates/introduce me for playing the guitar and there´s a plus pro in the fact that you can recreate your fav songs with custom tools with just tabs for the game itself.

My recommendation for every beginner is to get a decent amp and to try to play with just tabs or youtube videos or subscription sites frequently and still playing RS, and that would make a world of a difference maybe not right on but after quite some time you´ll see why.

I was the same and went to outside resources, including friends, which helped me quite a bit. I always have these roadblocks I come across. First, it was a simple power chord, then it turned into alternate picking, now its something like high pitch string palm muting which I can't quite get down, but I'll work on it. The best advice a friend gave me to learning guitar was "Don't worry about getting it. Just practice. One day, you'll just wake up and be able to do it". It happened and I started knocking down chords and techniques.

For intermediate/advanced players, I see most people recommending Rocksmith as a way to just learn songs really fast. They don't have much to learn here, but they don't have to read through tab/sheet music to play.

• Like 1

Question is, whats your goal.

1. learn to play guitar physical

2. learn to play and remembering the scores

3. learn to play with musical insights

4. learn to play with musical insights and remembering the scores.

5. etc.

6. etc.

22. etc.

58. etc.

100. to make money as a guitar god :D

I got about 700 songs i play, which I get an average score of 96% with the bass

For me, Rocksmith is a blessing, cause i can't remember scores, my brain can't.

It cost me about 5 years daily excercising, to play with moderate speed but in a correct and sensible way.

So i leave the fast and complex playing for what it is, complex and frustrating.

"You can't always get what you want" by Keith Richards, Mick Jagger ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, it's good to know I am not alone.

I did the Championship a few times but found that a week of practicing one song did not stay with me as I went back to that song a few months later and was starting again from scratch.

The 1 min chord changes have stayed though and if you tell me that knocking on heavens door goes G D Am it stays.

I think Rocksmith should should look at a more conventional beginner course for their game, even castle of the chorded does not even cover a major scale until later levels. 

I wait for the day when I can put RS on and choose any song and just play along. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Playing along doesn't have to be at 100% difficulty, nor does it has to mean a 100% accuracy at the end.

And everyone has a moment where they feel like they don't really learn anything. It's fine! Don't let it bother you, just go do something else and come back later when you feel like it.

You might more easily see how much you improved while playing a song you didn't play for some times than while playing the same ones over and over.

Learning is not something linear, we all have our ups and downs depending on many criteria, but the more you do the more the brain adjust itself to be more efficient, sometimes that means breaking some habits to allow for something new to come in and it's a long damn hard road.

As long as you keep training regularly, there's no reason that you aren't progressing, you might just not see it.

Also on the topic of chords, some can be a pain to get at first sight especially when they requires a position you aren't used to but you don't have to practice them directly to learn it. Even learning a single note run might improve how your finger stretch and relate to each other which will also be helpful for chord.

And as a last word : FUN! you need to have fun, your brain will more easily remember something that was fun!

• Like 5

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Yeah, I get this a lot. "Why am I doing this? I'm not getting anywhere. This is a waste of time ..."

Four things I do ...

Grab my guitar (I'm a bass player) and tinker with it. I am a lousy guitar player but it often will get me unstuck. If nothing else, being able to reach 6-7 frets at a time feels great. 

Play my fretless for an hour or so. It's different enough with having to focus so much on intonation that it can make a regular bass feel totally new again.

Walk scales for a while. Cmaj, Dmaj, Fmaj, etc. On guitar I suppose this would be progressions, but being a bass player, I'm not entirely sure. 

Lastly, when I'm really sick of it all, I just play for a while. Pick out songs I'm at 95%+ on and play to enjoy playing. Sometimes I'll even get a little itty bitty bit closer to to FC. I've even hit it a couple of times. Go me!

My rule, practice every day. Even if it's just pulling an instrument down and twiddling for half an hour on a song I'm trying to transcribe or get completely locked in my head. Once you get past the beginner stages, it's really difficult to see progress. But its there, and doing different things can often really help.

Check out some of the master classes from Guitar Center that have been posted or study your favorite artist in concert. Even better, play with some different styles and techniques. Learn to read music, for example, if you don't already know how. Experiment with learning to create music. Do something different just to keep it fresh.

• Like 2

I have to change between rocksmith, YouTube, tabs, and even the sheet music i have in some cases.  Some times the place on the neck where the dlc has placed it is not optimal for me. Also some have mistakes(going to happen just the nature of things) If you are trying to put the song in memory you need to find out what works best. If needed I will use the riff repeater then go to my iTunes or YouTube and play with the section(s)of the song.  It is not a catch all but I do like the program.  I was always critical of rockband and guitar hero. I saw so many kids playing those games for hours. To quote a south park character "If they spent as much times on real instruments as they do on that game, who knows how good they would be" Rocksmith is a nice progression  from those games to a teaching platform. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I have felt more comfortable just picking up the guitar and playing around with a scale fret 5-7 or 7-9 going up and down making the notes transition clean. I then improvise and it's good fun. 

Still doing set lessons for basics and just going back to the game recently. 79% on R U Mine a PB!!

Everyone does not learn and progress in the same way so with that said this is what helped me.

1. Finding easier songs in Rocksmith that are in my reach (beginner level) to earn a gold pick. The gold pick on a song in Hard Score Attack is my goal and 100% is my ultimate goal so that gave me motivation. I have to at least like a song to want to play it. If I love a song that's even better. I love Satisfaction so it was fun (not work) to sit down in riff repeater for hours to learn it because I love the song. I started out slow on the solos and slowly played them faster until I got to 100%. Also that song is is at my current skill level. I'd love to play Highway Star but it is out of my reach. My renditions are not great, but I do enjoy playing and over time I've gotten better. So... set a goal that is achievable, then when you reach it set another goal. It sounds dumb but I felt great when I finally got a gold pick on 7-nation army rhythm path. That is a super easy song but it was a milestone for me. I was off to the races after that. See the link in my signature if you want to see videos of easy RS songs.

2. Use video teachers on you tube. There are a lot of good ones. If you need help with finger placement for a solo or something look there. If you need help with a technique look there. I've never used a real live teacher. It may help I've just never done it. I am 100% taught by RS and free youtube lessons.

3. You will play more if you enjoy it. I enjoy learning new songs so once I learn one I will play it again but not probably every day (exception "Satisfaction"). If you hate your time with the guitar you will do other things with your time. If you love your time with the guitar you will find time to play. I don't "practice" per se, I learn new songs and play ones I know. Perhaps I am not advancing as fast as I could with a real "practice schedule" and a teacher led method but I am having fun. If I hated time with guitar I would not get better since I'd avoid it. 

4. What is your goal? Mine is to have fun and learn new songs. If you want to play in a band or play professionally you are going to need to map out a plan. Steve Vai did that and practiced 10 hurs a day because he loved to it. He said it was not practice to him because he loved it. I would hate his 10 hour schedule but good for him. He found his love and set his goals and achieved them.

Good luck!

• Like 3

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMV9RfoApHM5Zmi1CobqTJw

Quick update,

Lesson schedule fizzled out to make was for other things.

Recently seeing my niece who had a guitar bought for her 2 years ago, pick it up the last few months has motivated me. With her basic chords she rattles through rhythm on songs and made me realise keeping it basic will help.

I am concentrating on Rhythm path finding song with basic chords and to be honest i have notice a good amount of progress. Strumming patterns that are not covered in RS have been found on YT and started to up my percentages.

The last post is spot on enjoy it and it does not feel like practice.

I am enjoying my time at the moment, and not getting stressed if I have not had 20 mins lately on the guitar.

The "remastered" issues did hinder me at first and I hate not having my RS1 content as i missed the steam pack but never mind I will just have to dust off my ps3 when i want it. 

• Like 1

Who said Rocksmith is all you need to be able to become a guitar player. Ok, right, publicity! Who cares about publicity ?

RS is just another way to learn, a damn effective way, specially in keeping you motivated.

But it has a giant flaw : It accepts bad techniques, because it cannot see them.

Bad technique is what slows down progression.

Don't avoid exercices, youtube and face2face teachers.

And why not attend are real guitar school, where the teacher gives you a deadline to master a special technique.

And then play with a band, or in a duo, it's like running a race, it gives that little extra in concentration, attention.

Progression is being able to see things happening slower than they are, and being able to react.

Ever got that feeling, when you run to the finish line and you remember it like in slow motion?

So much information and thoughts registered in a couple of seconds.

The beginner is only focused on the next note, and one of his fingers.

Progression is done by anticipation, not actually looking the next note, but the next couple, the next half a dozen of notes.

And the fingers know by themselves what to do : it's called automation.

My progression is constant, but very slow. I have to be patient.

I have about 50 songs I play regularly, most of them Buckethead's.

I note the number of errors at a speed (I normally start at 80%)

When I replay a song 1-2 Month later, after the first or 2nd try, I always reduce my number of errors.

So by daily playing, there is a progression.

Though, I'll be probably 120years old before I can play like Buckethead. :lol:

My advice : always keep an eye on a clean technique!

This requires memorizing a couple of riffs from songs you play and playing them away from RS 

focusing on clean sounding strings and correct hand and finger positions.

Edited by TomSawyer2112
  • Like 4

this may not be completely relevant to the first question, but i for one really enjoy the rocksmith experience.  i have a shelf of music/tab that i mess with from time to time, and i too check out justin and the other youtubers offering online instruction. 

the biggest thing i find with RS is that it's ready when i am.  i don't have to search for videos or dig out tab.  it seems my schedule any more is a few minutes here and there, with the only block of time later in the evening when everyone else in the house is going to bed.  i can plug in the earplugs and hammer away.  i also like the ability to see feedback on my playing. 

i've come to the realization that i may never be able to play on my own, so i try to enjoy every minute i get to play at all.  kinda like life in general, you can go through fighting it or enjoying it, all in how you look at it.  i do know after being on this site for a while there is a ton of talent out there.  makes me wish i was better, but also pushes me to try harder.

• Like 3

Ive tried to learn guitar for 20 years, without much luck. I could fret chords and play a few progressions but nothing to really force myself to push.

Last October I bought Rocksmith and discovered Customsforge, in the last year my playing has progressed well beyond the last 20 years.

Today Ive logged over 350 hours in Rocksmith. I don't just play songs, I also play the technique challenges and the guitarcade games.

Since the update RS seems to have a slight lag issue displaywise as songs I had 90% or higher playing I seem to be missing notes. Although what I hear is me hitting notes in time with the tune.

Stick with it and keep it fun, you will get more from it.

If I look back over my life and the countless hours I spent playing games, rs is the only one that devoting time to it produces something tangible.

• Like 7

it was nice when i started to enjoy playing songs that i used to load up just to bail on...

• Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

I'm gonna throw this in here

One of the best aspects of RS is forces the beginner to explore the entire fret board

And learn to use barred chords

Which alot of beginners and intermediate players never get around to

Also playing full song arrangements rather than dumbed down beginner versions

Gives the RS player a fuller understanding of why scales are useful

• Like 1

Heh. I'm back. Picked up another trick, as it were ... if you can stand older (easy) stuff, play it. Lots and lots. It may seem simple, but if you can play simple pieces perfectly, it actually helps playing harder things. Duh. Guess all those music teachers I had as a kid were right. Whoulda' thunk it.

Reminds me of a comment Perlman made about practicing. (parphrased) "Four hours of correct practice is worth more than any amount of practicing your mistakes."

• Like 1

Ive tried to learn guitar for 20 years, without much luck. I could fret chords and play a few progressions but nothing to really force myself to push.

Last October I bought Rocksmith and discovered Customsforge, in the last year my playing has progressed well beyond the last 20 years.

Today Ive logged over 350 hours in Rocksmith. I don't just play songs, I also play the technique challenges and the guitarcade games.

Since the update RS seems to have a slight lag issue displaywise as songs I had 90% or higher playing I seem to be missing notes. Although what I hear is me hitting notes in time with the tune.

Stick with it and keep it fun, you will get more from it.

If I look back over my life and the countless hours I spent playing games, rs is the only one that devoting time to it produces something tangible.

This lag is exactly what I was talking about when I made my post about splitting my signal- I have part of the signal going directly to an AMP, so there is no lag, and the other half to the game.  Then I turn down the volume for the main instrument on the game side.  Yes, unless I use a pedal or one of my other computers to process the sound I lose the tone processing...

Anyways, that's how I combat the lag issues...

Hi,

I am very grateful for all these posts. This community is really one of the best I have been a part of on the net.

I am making my "January push" as I do every year where I remember to get on the guitar more often. I am doing the following things;

The new app from Justin Guitar looks interesting and I might use it for my chord change practise as it's easier than keep writing my results down.

Looking at some acoustic guitars tomorrow, as I am really not enjoying playing my borrowed Yamaha acoustic. Compared it to a friends and instantly felt it was easier to play.

Ask my guitar teacher about a price for a full course. giving me a deadline each step. As suggested by TomSawyer2112

After all that....

The Rocksmith Championship.

Thanks again for all of your advice and sharing your experiences. 

Has really been over a year!?! life is getting on at a rate.

So what have I done....

Bought the new guitar. a Eko acoustic travel. Love it and after trying a few guitars can feel the difference playing it to others.

Tried with Justin's beginner course again this time tracking my progress through notes. Fell off that again as I seem to have been doing the basic stuff forever and I still can't play a song.  

Lessons...been to two guitar teachers both seem very similar in approach. I tell them I want to play songs and the types of music and they just tend to say just learn the songs. No real progressive course of pathway. I get a feeling that they have plenty of young students that have bags of time to devote to practice so they can't really help much until I have put in enough time.

Gaming...gave it up. It was easy to spend free time doing so decided to hang up my controller and pickup the guitar more.

I am about to hit 40 and I really have got to pull my finger out. I want this, and I also want to be around a peer group who also love music.

I think the Championship is the only way, have to fight through the time restraints I have with work and family and just get my best effort on that one song a week.

If there is anyone in the Suffolk area PM me. Kind of getting board of telling people about Rocksmith and them looking at me funny.

• Like 3

Feeling a little less of a beginner!!.....

I really don't know what happened yesterday but I played a song.

I had the evening to myself and sat in the lounge with my acoustic guitar.

First some finger picking - the pattern the teacher showed me din not sound that good tbh

second major chords - I tried holding the guitar differently. with it in between my legs resting on the sofa and the neck up near my face like classical. I found the changes easier and could see clearly my finger placement. strummed with my thumb ditched the pick for now.

This was all going well so I though I would look up some songs on YT found a few ED Sheeran I love but out of my skill level at picking. Then remembered that many moons ago in my 20's I was trying to lead Good Riddance by Green day. Mary Music had it so put it on. I was actually keeping up with the chord changes!! strumming pattern was rough but still slowly changing chords and then getting faster was feeling good.

looked up a few more songs and found myself watching the video then going on the guitar tabs app on my phone to find the chords and started to make the shapes. Even did F in places.

3 hours later and some soar fingers I found the chord names and shapes are in there. My whole body was relaxing more going though them.

I felt for the first time last night I let go of what I was doing wrong all the time and enjoyed what I was doing right.

Still a long way from where I want to be but that one song is now my gateway I will get it down and then get the next one.

Feeling great right now!!     

• Like 2

i always play rocksmith with 1 thing in mind , its a game , have fun . if i want to really learn a song

i go to u tube , first . and then i try for a high score. i can play many songs on RS , but i cant take my eyes oiff the screen.

so i prob couldn't play them , really.

Yes! and I have found that I get lost in a song if I exclusively use Rocksmith. I have made more progress going on youtube to a Justin or Marty tutorial and getting the cord and more importantly the strumming pattern. I think this is the thing that was kind of forgotten with this version of RS. They should have added a bunch of strumming pattern techniques in the lessons section and then they could tag them in the song to have same or similar. 

I tried the Championship beginner song (lead) this morning and RR the first section which took me about 15 mins to get 0 notes missed then blew the rest of the song.

Not putting lots of pressure on myself to do hours of practice just a minimum of 10 mins a day, that seems to be helping.

@@brubeck99 Sound's like if you play them on YT first then maybe turn on master mode and see if you need the screen? "Use the force Luke.... Let go" :)   

Doing good with the 10 min a day just picking up and trying to play this weeks championship song  Insomnium - The Gale

The lead path was not going well only 62% so I switched to rhythm and managed to get 82%

Its not a hard song and with (D std) tuning I know some notes are not getting picked up still go confidence boost.

When back to the lead path and made a little improvement. Relaxing the left hand move gets me to the notes quicker.

On a side note I am also dabbling with some beginner piano. got a Flowkey free trial and been using YT channel HDpiano for learning sections of songs.

Good way of finding practice time when away from a piano is load a app called perfect piano on the tablet. set it to 12 key view as this makes the keys the size of my real keyboard. I can practice on this with headphones in lunch hour or any other moment I get. I will try and link it to flow key today via a usb cable see if it works.

Cheers 

hey, was just thinking, i dont use learn a song much, go straight to score attack, as long as its got dynamic difficulty ,

i just got highway star from official site. and made it to the end on easy.with the headphones on it was epic.

sadly a lot of cdlc dosn't have DD, i always send a thank you, to the people who take the time to add DD .

keep rockin.

ps i learnt a bit . by watching uploads of rocksmith videos , on YT, really helped.

• Like 1