Bands You've Been In

snowdog

back in '09 i helped a friend re-record some old songs of his and also wrote some new ones in the process. we had plans to keep it going, but as usual life gets in the way of the best made plans. here are the songs if interested https://www.facebook.com/pages/Losing-Aura/252111404902?id=252111404902&sk=app_178091127385. My friend called them his pussy pop fuck rock songs.

That's really good stuff. I particularly like The Human Experience, Ignorance Is Bliss and Eve. Nice!

About 1979 - 1982 while in high school I had my own band called Renegade. A few originals with a lot of covers. Played guitar in this band but also played bass for a couple of different friends that had bands. Mostly rock and metal and a few gigs playing for a country band.

1985 - 1988 Played in a couple of bands that never got as far as getting names. One fell apart after months of rehearsals and one gig where half the band got trashed. The downside to trying to have a band made up of friends who hadn't played in a "working" band before. Then went on to form a band called "The Jake Isles Blues Band" which was kind of a rock edged blues band. The name came as a drunken rehearsal when me and the lead guitar player noticed our singer had us doing a lot of old J. Geils Band covers. As the lead player was a little drunk he angrily said we should just call the band Jake Isles or at least that was what it sounded like with the slurring. I worked (didn't seem like work though)  in Maine and New Hampshire for several years in this band and recorded some originals with songs kind of all over the place. Played rhythm for a while in this configuration then ended up playing bass most of the time in this band until varying degrees of interest broke us up. At this point I got rid of almost all my gear I think I had 8 electrics (7 solid bodies and 1 hollow body) , 2 basses, and 2 acoustics and just kept 1 acoustic guitar.

In 1989 I bought a Jackson bass (so much for getting rid of everything) and mainly just jammed with people occasionally filling in for some friends or playing for a few songs at their gigs if they wanted a hand. This went on for several years. Then about 1995 I got rid of the new gear I had once again accumulated and once again was back to the single acoustic and found my self playing for my brother in law in his gospel band for several years as a bassist with some guitar duties where fingerpicking was needed. What seemed strange to me was the gospel band had more gigs than any other band I had been in with us playing somewhere pretty much every weekend and usually a couple of weekday gigs every other week or so.

Since about 1998 I've been bandless and tried to avoid it due to my work schedule and the fact that if I'm in a band I WANT to play live for people. Just playing with some friends is great but the rush from playing in front of an audience is crazy and once you've done it it's hard to resist.

So for now; much like steroma posted above; rocksmith is my band. I wish I was as good as the rest of my band!!  :grin:   

• Like 2

Yup, I really can't understand people that are happy to just sit in a rehearsal studio and practice week after week after week, particularly if they're like the members of my old band, The Exiles From Pluto, and have experienced the buzz you get from a live performance.

I can understand that it's VERY nerve wracking if you haven't played before but even then I just think the whole point of joining a band is to play in front of people like your heroes in the industry.

When I played my very first gig ever with The Exiles From Pluto, if the 128 strong crowd wasn't nerve wracking enough, I did the whole gig dressed in a French Maid's outfit (I was drunk when I agreed to it in front of witnesses so couldn't bottle out lmfao) lololol. It was all to do with the song named after me, Harvey's Song which is available to listen to in that link in the OP. The singer, Spark, also changed into a wedding dress before the start of Lay You To Rest about halfway through the gig lol

My first band was called "The Bad Sound", i played bass guitar in the band, despite the name we sounded OK. My guitarteacher formed the band and played in the band also. The second band was a band called "The Urqus", i was the leadsinger, we formed because they had these great band battles at a youth club in a city Sweden where i live, and we wanted to challange the hords of metal bands that participated. The third band was called Monde Yeux, a folkpop-band, i was the violinist of the band, we sounded like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_qQksyh94The band got some success nationally and in Germany, we have over 1 million streams on Spotify at this moment.

The fourth band is called Woolfish (thats my name :) and this is how we sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTnuxMT90gWe haven't gotten successful yet, but at the moment we have a german filmcrew working on at music video thats going to be epic stuff. 

I discovered the world of cover sessions in Tokyo about 5 years ago, where people would coordinate on mixi (a Japanese social networking site), meet up at a practice studio or music bar, & play cover songs. Joined a couple of those on vocals & then decided guitar looked like way more fun, so I went out & got my first electric (I'd had an acoustic over a decade earlier, but never learned more than basic open chords & a few simple riffs). Did these for a while, mostly for LUNA SEA and BUCK-TICK (Japanese bands), and then it dawned on me that if I could find enough other people who liked both bands, I could form a double cover band & call it LUNA-TICK, so I did! :D We've done 3 shows so far (4th coming up end of May), & have a few videos up here.

Then last year a bassist I knew from one of the monthly BUCK-TICK nights asked if I wanted to do an Oblivion Dust cover band- another Japanese one, but the vocalist is half-British & most of the songs are in English, so naturally I was the obvious choice since I could actually sing them all properly. XD We've only done 1 show so far, but I'm hoping to do more- esp. since that morning I woke up w/ a sore throat & went home w/ a ~104° fever- talk about bad timing! XD

Finally, a yearly video game music session led to another circle of friends forming a Katamari Damacy covers band, which is having its first show next month (speaking of, I really need to stop working on CDLCs so much & start practicing more for that one, lol)!

• 2 months later...

Gotta love that Leeds accent Jamie :)

In all seriousness, does the hair never get in the way of the playing (dampening strings etc) ?

sorry man missed your post, its not too bad every now and again it gets stuck under my fretting fingers but it doesnt seem to affect the sound :)

I've been in a heap of bands most of them terrible :P but this is my current one.Not for the light hearted haha.for fans of The Red Shore, Thy Art Is Murder and Whitechapel. (if anyone has heard of those bands) :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkviZsX5xQ 

Some good bands, I only know about Thy Art is Murder through this one video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWcak9tZupc

But good stuff, like your band.

For me I'm in between bands, I haven't met a lot of musically inclined people where I moved and I don't feel like I'm good enough to go look for them. I played two gigs my entire life, once as a drummer and once as a guitarist. But that feeling of being on stage is great. So much fun. Especially when the crowd is loving it  and cheering.