Audiosmith for Rocksmith 2014

h the fact that the toolkit can't import the volume adjustment settings from oDLC (unless they are all at -7 which would be weird as the wem file goes from -6LUFS to -14LUFS for those i've tested so far)

I've got code ready for this, still would be not much use other than research one. gotta enable that in new beta builds, have no eta though

• Administrator

I will still try to find a decent way to get the LUFS level RS use by other means but knowing the volume value of each oDLC and the level of the file used could help make a very good normalization process that follow properly oDLC rules which would be very interesting to do.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@firekorn, well I've got some info on rs ebur128, here's what I've got

"

wwise normalize gain factor is(EBUr128):
gain = -loudness - 23 [dB]

(smpte value? -14dB = 89 dB spl? less than 83 db spl)

wwise default is -80db spl ?

-18 LUFS ?
"

Well they don't re-encode audio and uses some kind of ReplayGain 2 since ebur lvls are too quite?

I've got some values at home(I really should put it on gdrive, but I don't :( ) that was calculated from wems and I've got volume from bnk of the song and its preview and they all've been normalized to some point, still lack of consistency, I guess there was different people who charted songs and had different approach, like manually adjust volumes. I noticed that preview has always 1 dB difference with the song, it's louder!

Maybe we should write script to process whole database and then it would be clear? I'll try to get that spreadsheet from my another pc today :)

I

• Administrator

We can't process the DB but CFSM can easily implement this for users that want a consistent volume experience across all songs (still won't answer the shitty tone but we can't do magic :D )

For the few wem i've looked through DP meter, they clearly weren't using any kind of replay gain on the file (Rise against was at -6 LUFS)

I will try to put a setup and see what kind of result i get but i wouldn't be surprised if RS was aiming around the -23 LUFS cause even if EBU R128 is ok with -16, the recommendation is -23 +/-0.5 LUFS.

But depending on the result i get, it might be interesting to see if the volume adjustment is indeed a simple 1=1dB (which wouldn't surprise me but it's always good to have proper confirmation).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Administrator

@@Alex360 @@cozy1

Ok so i'm doing some recording right now and so far it seems that songs are indeed set to -23LUFS as the target, as for the preview it seems that they are set to -33LUFS. There's more variation for the preview, some are close to -36 and the high ones are at -32 but with a short sample like that it can just be that the 10 LUFS of difference that seems to be there gives different result on the integrated value over the full length songs.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Developer

Here is a free VST Plugin for measuring LUFS

-23 LUFS seems like that could be pretty quiet

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Administrator

I've used DP meter and a few other plugins and DP meter is perfectly fine for loudness metering and i used it on many audio production i've made without any issue when testing in others places or through different plugins.

If you wish to try i have the the recording available.

Note that many people complain that RS doesn't have a loud output and youtube is already at -14 and is widely considered as uselessly loud by audio engineer :)

-23 is the norm for broadcast and movies and music is just lagging behind because there's no legal obligations, i can produce something that would be at -6LUFS if i want (i would get shit on because i don't have any kind of dynamic left in the recording but that's something else).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Administrator

https://imgur.com/a/7qWqi

It's the result of 3 songs (-24.1) and 17 preview (-34.3) and the audio is being upload if anyone wish to try with another plugin.

I could probably try a lot more songs but it's very time consuming and so far it seems like -23LUFS would be an appropriate target (and the preview is 10LUFS below the songs).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

So one thing left is to find proper db value for the toolkit side :)
I could probably write small app to process files\folders dropped on it, psarc wise and got csv file maybe sox based implementation of the LUFS meter

Maybe there's a way to predict tone volume lvls too, but that's black magic for now :D

• Administrator

@@Alex360 Tone level is lot worse because you have to account for any gain added or subtracted by all element (pedals and rack) which can quickly become a nightmare. At this point, either people use oDLC tones or create proper tones.

But if the toolkit already set the volume according to the proper normalization for the songs and previews, then it's just a matter of testing what sounds loud enough by the user. So if he doesn't even bother to test well at this point tone is the least of my issue with the CDLC...

:D

But if that could be done that would be a good step in the right direction to offer a better experiences with CDLC especially to avoid those "louder than hell" ones.

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Developer

So I have been playing around with the audio from Cherub Rock in Audacity using the free VST plug-in  Audiocation Loudness Meter (ALM) AC-R128.

Setting the ALM 'Scale' to 'LUFS MON' and 'Time' to 'LUFS INT'  then 'Reset' then 'Start'.

If I Ioop the original audio in Audacity from 1:00 to 1:30 (min:sec) on the audio track the ALM reads "OVER".   According to the ALM manual this means that LUFS are higher than -14. 

Subsequently, when setting Audacity 'Effects' 'Amplification' to -5.0 dB, ALU reads out -14.7 LUFS.  So the original Cherub Rock audio may be recorded at about -9.7 LUFS.  This is just one song.  With this method we can measure others.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Administrator

I don't have any issue reading value above -14 on my system with pro-tools, Rise Against was reading at around -6LUFS and Slayer at -10 while Aerosmith was at -16 and i tried to import the package in the toolkit but sadly it didn't import the volume value so i couldn't make any kind of assumption about the level used.

I'll try to do further testing tomorrow by comparing the in game level to the recording and see what volume adjustment they made.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Developer

Toolkit does not have ability to get volume values for oDLC, thus the default value.  Volume only works for CDLC in toolkit.

@@firekorn, try latest beta toolkit I've enabled those volume readings from bnk files on creator form when you import the package.

since I'd used your research abilities in this almost effortless way, sorry It would take much more time to write custom test application :P

Have fun!

• Like 1

• Administrator

@@Alex360 and @@cozy1

Here is what i've got so far (it's always the full song value first) :

• 21 Guns : Toolkit -9 ; -9 | RS : -23.3 ; -32.2 | Wem : -7.5 ; -6.5
  • A Tout Le Monde : -8.5 ; -7.5 | -23.8 ; -32.2 | -8.5 ; -7.9
  • Adam's Song : -13 ; -13 | -28.3 ; -38.2 | -8.6 ; -8.4 (no idea why they used -13 there but it's clearly quieter than the others)
  • Aerials : -10 ; -9.5 | -23.8 ; -34.2 | -7.1 ; -7.9

Note that -1 dB doesn't mean that you get -1 LUFS integrated at the end (though it's close in a lot of case).

Probably still need a lot more value but it's a bit of a time consuming process to go through all of it and so far it's recent songs that have been mixed/mastered by mad men (they all have a true peak at 0.5dB), i'll have to try older songs that have been done pre-loudness war to get more different result.

Edit : tested two older track (including one of the oldest available)

• Dust In The Wind : -5.5 ; -5.5 | -24.6 ; -34.6 | -12.3 ; -12.3
  • I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry : -4 ; -3 | -26.8 ; -35.8 | -16.1 ; -16.1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 1 month later...
  • Developer
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I had some issues with Wwise missing, had to track that down, and also I had to run the program as admin to get it working (and that breaks drag & drop) but with that out of the way its working now.

I load all 6000ish songs when I play in my library, looking forward to how much faster it loads after transcoding them all.

Reporting back.

The need to run as admin was because the program did not have access to a log file in its install directory.

I did a overide of the NTFS permissions of the parent folder to fix that so that I would not have to run as admin.

This worked and fixed my drag & drop issue.

I then started to run the program.

I was not able to drag & drop 6000 files into it :) crashed.

Picked a more modest like 50 files, started it up and let it do its thing.

I noticed that about 8/10 of my songs actually were larger in size after the re-code instead of smaller, so that leads me to come up with my first and most important suggestion for this program.

It should probably use a temporary directory to hold the encoded file and then compare the after file size and if its larger do not overwrite the original.

• Developer

@ViciousXUSMC  what OS and version are you running under?  In newer OS you may need to AV whitelist 'Audiosmith.exe' because Audiosmith is writing files. 

What 'Bit Rate (kbps)' did you use that you are finding that the file size is increasing?   Are you changing the 'Set File Size Filter'?  The default and recommendation is to only transcode files that are > 5,000 KB. 

Are you setting 'Output Folder' to a temporary location, or are you writing directly to the 'dlc' folder?  I like the idea about checking if the file size has decreased before writing, especially if you are outputting to the 'dlc' folder. 

As you have found out, drag/drop has some limitations.  It was never meant to handle 6000 files.   I will have to add a user warning not to exceed 50 drag/drop files.  If you want to do more you should use the 'Add' button.

Thanks for input.

• Developer

Released Audiosmith Version 1.1.3
- added tooltip to limit drag/drop files to maximum of 50 (use the 'Add' button to do more than 50 files)
- added 'Prevent Ballooning' to 'Settings' menu to prevent creating larger files than originals

• 2 years later...

I used this for volume normalization of my collection, but it just cut all the preview audio to just 2-3 seconds and seemed to diminish the audio quality in other files. If there was an option to not "save space", which is not a concern of mine, it would be more useful to me personally. I had to revert the changes (always make backups, kids), I personally don't want intros cut off at all. Nice tool otherwise. If there is another tool or method just for volume normalization, please let me know. Thanks

Started playing Bass with Rocksmith April 2019

On 12/23/2020 at 7:22 AM, tdchewy said:

I used this for volume normalization of my collection, but it just cut all the preview audio to just 2-3 seconds and seemed to diminish the audio quality in other files. If there was an option to not "save space", which is not a concern of mine, it would be more useful to me personally. I had to revert the changes (always make backups, kids), I personally don't want intros cut off at all. Nice tool otherwise. If there is another tool or method just for volume normalization, please let me know. Thanks

I use https://www.orban.com/meter
It analysis the audio and gives the LKFS value, then just do the math, to match around -14 and add that value in the toolkit to the song and preview volume.
For instance LKFS value is -7.2 then -6.8 is the value to enter in song and preview value.
That way the original file isn't compromised (compressing)
I do this with all CDLC that I download, and ofc the ones I make, to get always the same volumes in game, then also you would have less trouble with effects that you add, when those ofc are set correctly also.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy