Charting artificial harmonics

iminashi

Question

• Developer

Is there a proper way of charting artificial harmonics? I tried the search, but it didn't seem to find anything relevant.

I mean the harmonics where you fret a note and then lightly touch the string an octave above and pluck it.

4 answers to this question

As far as Rocksmith is concerned, there's not really a good way to distinguish between pinch harmonics and the "harp harmonics" that you're describing.

The best way that I know of would be to chart it as a normal pinch harmonic and and then perhaps describe the technique in the "author notes" section when you add it to the database. Hopefully Rocksmith's note recognition gets it right, but if it doesn't, you can use the "ignore" status on the harmonics so that they don't count against in the scoring. They'll still be displayed on the note highway, just not scored.

Alternatively, you could chart the fretted note along with a tapped note an octave higher, designating the tapped note with an "ignore." The problem with this is that it would cause the in-game camera to zoom way out in order to view both notes. It might then be difficult to read/play. You'd also have use the "ignore" status on the tapped notes, since you're not really tapping there - just touching the string. Maybe try this method first, and after some testing, see if you prefer the first method. In which case, you can just delete the octave tapping notes.

If anyone else knows a better way, then please do chime in.

• Like 1

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

• Developer

My finished custom.

I opted to use pinch harmonics since there is a section where artificial harmonics and regular notes alternate and having notes an octave higher would have looked quite confusing.

Rocksmith's note detection didn't seem to detect the notes very accurately so I marked them as ignore also.

I assume that having notes that are marked as ignore is what causes this discrepancy between accuracy and mastery:

http://i.imgur.com/ggsckFR.jpg

• Like 1

• Developer

To return to this topic; the discrepancy between accuracy and mastery started bothering me, and I thought of using fret hand mutes instead of "ignore".

Here's what notes marked as both pinch harmonics and fret hand mutes look like:

http://i.imgur.com/U7C1EgL.jpg

Rocksmith doesn't care about the pitch of fret hand mutes, only that you play something with enough volume and separation from other notes that it considers acceptable.

Even with this solution, you would still need to explain somewhere how these notes are supposed to be played.

Now you can get 100% mastery; of course you could cheat by playing pretty much anything (at the right time), but why would you want to do that?   ;)

• Like 2