Syncopation and Riff Repeater

iminashi

Question

• Developer

Why are sections that are all syncopation unselectable in the riff repeater? (All notes are grid-snapped)

http://i.imgur.com/qVc7kt6.png

Is the only way to get them selectable adding more beats so that at least one note falls on a beat?

Also an unrelated question: What exactly decides whether the play counter (the number of times a song has been played) works or not?

11 answers to this question

Are there actually sections added, or just phrases? It needs to be a section in order to be selected by riff repeater.

When a section is added to the first beat, it will display with a red line over the beat, but I can't tell from this picture because the green "seek" line is covering it.

Regarding the play counter, I think it may not count a playthrough if there are no sections, but I could be wrong. 

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

• Administrator

The play counter doesn't increment when there's no section.

Seems like their is a section from what where shown but if it's the only section in the whole custom you might not have much to select (or too much in fact).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Developer

There are both sections and phrases, it has the red line. And this custom also has a more sections than one. Currently 13.

The question about the play counter was about another custom that did which does have sections but the play counter still didn't increment.

@@iminashi - I know there have sometimes been problems with sections working correctly if there is not a note on the first beat of the section (particularly if it's the first section of the song). You can change this without affecting the song by placing a ghost note (which doesn't display in game) on the first beat of the section. @@Chlipouni may be able to offer more specific advice.

As for the play counter, I'd guess it has something to do with reaching the "end phrase" of a song or something like that, but that's pretty much purely speculation.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• Developer

I did try adding a ghost note to the first beat (in that intro section) and it didn't work. I forgot to mention that.

Additionally, there is a section in this custom that is selectable in the lead path but unselectable in the rhythm path. In the rhythm path it's all syncopated chords. In the lead path it begins with the same syncopated chords but then has a short single note phrase where the notes fall on the beats. 

• Administrator

For the counter i would mostly bet on the "count" phrase at the beginning of a song (but maybe RS is watching for both section to be reach to make sure the song has been fully played)

The count phrase won't be created if there's already a section on the first beat of the beat map.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

For the counter i would mostly bet on the "count" phrase at the beginning of a song (but maybe RS is watching for both section to be reach to make sure the song has been fully played)

The count phrase won't be created if there's already a section on the first beat of the beat map.

This is what I was thinking too. Though we've struck out a few times so far :D

If you used the DDC creation tool, you may also want to try creating the song without DD to see if the DDC tool is causing the problem - in which case @@Chlipouni would want to know.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

• Developer

All right, here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_0HDnEbZi4PM3I4eUdZSUhMZk0

I don't use dynamic difficulty.

As for the counter not working, here are my customs:

Birth of Gin - Counter works on lead and bass paths. Doesn't work on rhythm.

Gathered Strike - Lead path only. Doesn't work.

The Last Rising of Akakabuto - Ditto.

I just can't figure out what it is that connects all three.

I understand that EOF automatically creates the "count" and "end" phrases when it has the room to do so and gives an error otherwise. I tried adding them manually to one of those and it didn't help.

@iminashi,

That's very strange, I have never seen this issue before (RR issue).

I tried the following test cases with your CDLC "Princess Princess - Diamonds" :
 1) Your psarc file : only a few sections can be selected
 2) DD applied on your psarc file with DDC : all sections can be selected, so no issue in this case
 3) DD removed with DDC on the psarc file generated in step 2) : same issue than 1) 

As the issue appears again in step 3, it is not related to the sections and phrases (DDC generates at least one phrase for each section).
 It seems to be a RS2014 limitation for CDLC with only one level of difficulty.

We need more research to find the root cause ...
  • Like 2