Ideas for charting tap harmonics

albatross213

A song I've been working on has a (fretless) bass track where a tap is used to generate a harmonic, then the note is slid up and down to manipulate it while it sustains. There's not an obvious way to chart these in Rocksmith, so I was wondering whether anyone else has a solution that both

-Clearly indicates the technique to be used

-If executed properly, does not result in misses (and if executed improperly, results in misses, I guess)j.

My idea for doing this at the moment is something like a muted tap note where the tap should be done, then a quick pulloff to the main note, which then slides up and down as usual, but these notes all will have harmonic status. The problem I see with this is the notes with harmonic status might not detect in Rocksmith depending on what the game "expects" to see from e.g. an 8th fret note with harmonic status. If the note detection fails when I try testing this, my next step would probably be to put "Ignore" status on the harmonic notes.

With that, I have a couple of questions. First, does anyone know of other successful attempts at charting tap harmonics? Second (which could be obviated by responses to the first), if you know what tap harmonics are, do you think you could figure out what was being asked of you in the way I proposed?

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• Administrator

The tap+natural harmonic option is the one official used in DLC and works though you won't be able to put any usable sustain on it which means that any further manipulation of the harmonic will be unavailable (the same way you can't indicate whammy bar things).

I've used that (well Teinashu did but anyway) in some Eric Calderone CDLC and it works fine.

I know that the last note of a muse DLC is a HO+Natural Harmonic things and it works perfectly and i'm sure i've seen tap harmonic but can't remember which song had it.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@firekorn -

What do you mean by "won't be able to put any usable sustain on it"? I don't really understand why that would be the case for something like this.

It also would be nice if you could remember any specific examples. Or even roughly when you were working on that particular Eric Calderone song to help narrow down which ones I should try looking at more closely.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• Administrator

Sustain and natural harmonic have a hard time getting along (rare are the case of ODLC using sustain on natural harmonic) and i've seen many cases where the sustain on natural harmonic never really registered so i guess putting sustain on a tap+natural harmonic note isn't something that would work 100% of the time.

Here is the muse HO+natural harmonic ODLC :

https://youtu.be/8hS2D_SjlCg?t=3m28s

I'll look for the other occasion i had to see/used it but it's not that common and my memory isn't great for that :D

Edit : Found the culprite : http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/black-sails-meets-metal-r19747 it's around 1:57 in Erock video and about 1:55 in the playthrough and you can try the song yourself to see if it works fine.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity