Dynamic Difficulty Creator

If I use the mac version of Rocksmith Custom Toolkit to create CDLC, I get an error when adding DDC to my XML files. I've been getting around the problem by launching windows and using the pc version, which is working fine. Is this a known limitation, or do I have the application configured incorrectly?

Thanks for the comment, Alex. The need to use Wine suggests that the DDC module in the mac version of Toolkit is not functional. To be more specific, if you don't need Wine to run the creator and convertor modules from the Toolkit app, you shouldn't need it to run the DDC module. Launching DDC.exe with Wine means you're using the PC program. I'm new to this, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks for the comment, Alex. The need to use Wine suggests that the DDC module in the mac version of Toolkit is not functional. To be more specific, if you don't need Wine to run the creator and convertor modules from the Toolkit app, you shouldn't need it to run the DDC module. Launching DDC.exe with Wine means you're using the PC program. I'm new to this, so perhaps I'm missing something.

For now, DDC is only released for PC.

That's why you need Wine to use it in mac OS.

Thanks for the fast reply, Chlipouni. That's the definitive answer that I was looking for. I've been using the PC Toolkit via Parallels, which allows me to do everything that I need, including DDC. It works great and I think I'll continue do that. When I ran ddc.exe via Wine in Mac OS, I was having problems adding the different levels of difficulty options.

When I submit CDLC, I'm asked to enter levels of difficulty for DDC. I've been using the default_DDC setting when I create the files and I don't know the default levels of difficulty.

If you use DDC on XML files, a log file is generated for each arrangement.

In the log file, just look at the "Global Informations" section to obtain the maximum level of DD.

As an example :

====================================================================================================
==   G L O B A L   I N F O R M A T I O N S                                                        ==
====================================================================================================

D.D.C.                          : v2.6
XML format                      : Rocksmith 2014
Artist name                     : The Company Band
Song title                      : Zombie Barricades
Arrangement name                : Lead
Phrase length                   : 8
Remove sustain                  : N
Configuration file              : C:\Rocksmith\Logiciels\RocksmithCustomSongToolkit-v2.6.1.0\ddc\ddc_default.cfg
Ramp-up model                   : C:\Rocksmith\Logiciels\RocksmithCustomSongToolkit-v2.6.1.0\ddc\ddc_default.xml
Max Differences Before Merging  : 10 %
Max Differences After Merging   : 30 %
Max Difficulty Level To Protect : 20 %
Max Differences To Link         : 25 %
DD protection limit             : 3
Maximum level of difficulty     : 8
Number of phrases               : 9
Number of phrase iterations     : 23
Average iterations by phrase    : 2
  • Like 1

Hi chlipouni,

Hope all is well!

Applying DDC2.6 to my latest CDLC, MacGyver Theme Song, and I have a couple of questions mostly to satisfy my understanding of DDC and none of which cause me serious problems, yet:

1) This is not new but I neglected to ask you earlier on:  In the log file what does "DOM" stand for. Just curious.

12. Generate the result XML file
      => 1 ms
    - DOM phrases generation
      => 0 ms
    - DOM phrase iterations generation
      => 1 ms
    - DOM new linked difficulties generation
      => 1 ms
    - DOM chord templates generation
      => 0 ms
    - DOM sections generation
      => 1 ms
    - DOM DD levels generation
      ==> INFORMATION : LEVEL 0 : HandShape startTime adjustment (46.191 -> 46.402)
      ==> INFORMATION : LEVEL 0 : HandShape startTime adjustment (47.454 -> 47.662)
      => 62 ms

2) You'll notice that in the above code I get a "HandShape startTime adjustment" comment. Problem is that, according to the image below  the unadjusted times 46.191 & 47.454 seem to not require any adjustment. I checked in-game and it doesn't have adverse effects on the CDLC  in that the fingerprints and the blue handshape markings along the side of the note highway are fine but I was wondering if you could clarify what is going on here.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/DDC%20Log%20Handshape%20Adjustment%20Question%20-%2011Mar15/Handshape%20Start%20Time%20Adjustment_zpsxi9yxyqd.png

3) I see in the DDC Log section called "Sections & Phrase Iterations" a column called "Overlap". I am unfamiliar with this and see a bunch of Y and N so I was wondering if this was worrisome. I'm noticing it may a benign informational item stating that the beginning of a measure has a note sustain tail crossing it. I guess this information display is related to the 2nd bullet in the DDC2.5 updated feature set:

"Notes and chords sustain are now considered if they overlap two or more measures (prevent the creation of empty phrases which break the handshapes length)"

I'm not sure how to read this "Overlap" column and judge that I should fix something or not. Here is the DDC log I am getting and below is an EOF screenshot of measures 17 and 18 shown and reported as Overlap = Y, which wouldn't normally alarm me unless I am missing something. 

+----------------------+--------+---------+---------+----------+--------+--------+--------+---------+
| SECTION              | PHRASE | MEASURE | PROTECT |     TIME | EBEATS | LENGTH | EVENTS | OVERLAP |
+----------------------+--------+---------+---------+----------+--------+--------+--------+---------+
| intro.0              | p0     |       1 |         |    0.098 |      4 |  1.902 |      0 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |       2 |         |    2.000 |      4 |  1.902 |      0 |       N |
| intro.0              | p1     |       3 |         |    3.902 |      4 |  1.687 |      7 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |       4 |         |    5.589 |      4 |  1.666 |      7 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |       5 |         |    7.255 |      4 |  1.687 |      7 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |       6 |         |    8.942 |      4 |  1.634 |      7 |       Y |
| intro.1              | p2     |       7 |         |   10.576 |      4 |  1.690 |      7 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |       8 |         |   12.266 |      4 |  1.627 |      6 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |       9 |         |   13.893 |      4 |  1.692 |      7 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      10 |         |   15.585 |      4 |  1.692 |      7 |       Y |
| transition.0         | p3     |      11 |         |   17.277 |      4 |  1.651 |      2 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      12 |         |   18.928 |      4 |  1.675 |      3 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      13 |         |   20.603 |      4 |  1.622 |      2 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      14 |         |   22.225 |      4 |  1.681 |      2 |       N |
| hook.0               | p4     |      15 |         |   23.906 |      4 |  1.681 |      8 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      16 |         |   25.587 |      4 |  1.645 |      4 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      17 |         |   27.232 |      4 |  1.685 |      3 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      18 |         |   28.917 |      4 |  1.660 |      5 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      19 |         |   30.577 |      4 |  1.693 |      4 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      20 |         |   32.270 |      4 |  1.673 |      3 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      21 |         |   33.943 |      4 |  1.633 |      3 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      22 |         |   35.576 |      4 |  1.663 |      5 |       Y |
| buildup.0            | p5     |      23 |         |   37.239 |      4 |  1.663 |      2 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      24 |         |   38.902 |      4 |  1.679 |      7 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      25 |         |   40.581 |      4 |  1.660 |      6 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      26 |         |   42.241 |      4 |  1.669 |      5 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      27 |         |   43.910 |      4 |  1.649 |      3 |       Y |
| riff.0               | p6     |      28 |         |   45.559 |      4 |  1.687 |      8 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      29 |         |   47.246 |      4 |  1.663 |      8 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      30 |         |   48.909 |      4 |  1.669 |      6 |       N |
| hook.0               | p7     |      31 |         |   50.578 |      4 |  1.679 |      7 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      32 |         |   52.257 |      4 |  1.657 |      4 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      33 |         |   53.914 |      4 |  1.675 |      3 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      34 |         |   55.589 |      4 |  1.643 |      5 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      35 |         |   57.232 |      4 |  1.684 |      4 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      36 |         |   58.916 |      4 |  1.663 |      3 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      37 |         |   60.579 |      4 |  1.645 |      3 |       Y |
|   .                  |  .     |      38 |         |   62.224 |      4 |  1.655 |      5 |       Y |
| buildup.0            | p8     |      39 |         |   63.879 |      4 |  1.696 |      2 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      40 |         |   65.575 |      4 |  1.654 |      2 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      41 |         |   67.229 |      4 |  1.693 |      2 |       N |
| buildup.1            | p9     |      42 |         |   68.922 |      4 |  1.643 |      8 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      43 |         |   70.565 |      4 |  1.657 |      8 |       N |
|   .                  |  .     |      44 |         |   72.222 |      4 |  1.714 |      7 |       N |

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/DDC%20Log%20Handshape%20Adjustment%20Question%20-%2011Mar15/Overlap_zpsp7f6elsc.png

Nothing urgent, just wondering.

Bonne journée!

EDIT

I just think I figured it out for question 3. "Overlap = Yes" is an indication that Level 0 for that measure will be quite boring to play since there is no new note to play at the beginning of the measure, i.e.

<ddc>
  <level maxCategory="1" maxSubCategory= "1" maxChordNotes="1"/>
</ddc>

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

Hi Berneer,

1) DOM = Document Object Model

=> the instanciation of the XML file in memory

2) The "handshape startTime adjustment" is only to synchronize the time position of the first chord and the start time position of the associated handshape.

In your specific case, it may have a bug in the logic. Can you share the XML file to investigate more deeper ?

3) The overlap flag is about the sustain of the last note of the previous measure.

I added it to avoid the lost of sustains (when the empty phrases are generated).

I use it only to explain the phrases created automatically by the DDC process.

Thanks

Hey Chlipouni,

Thanks for the answers! Very kind of you to read through and answer so fast.

Here is a link to a folder containing  the guitar.ogg, notes.eof, psarc, Pre-DDC-XML,Post DDC XML, DDC Log just in case you need to explore more than expected.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3m51lr4nlo8b8/HandShape_startTime_adjustment

Basically what I am noticing is that, if you see below the slightly more expanded view than the earlier screenshot, it seems like DDC is moving the handshape start point from the first to the 2nd note in the 2nd and 4th marked handshapes, but interestingly the 1st and 3rd marked handshapes remain untouched. So it seems like DDC wants to start handshapes on a beat marker, which  handshapes 1 and 3 allow but handshapes 2 and 4 don't since they start between beats.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/DDC%20Log%20Handshape%20Adjustment%20Question%20-%2011Mar15/Handshape%20Start%20Time%20Adjustment%20expanded_zpsltzhualn.png

In case you were going to check the included psarc, which I suspect you won't have to, it still requires good tones, a tiny bit more polish/testing,  optimized DDC ramp-up, resolve Linknext/Marked handshape issues causing noteheads to disappear in random places of my (Part Real_Bass)  finger-style arrangement and resolve intended linked phrases not leveling together.  All good testing fun. :)

Merci!!

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Hey Chlipouni,

Thanks for the answers! Very kind of you to read through and answer so fast.

Here is a link to a folder containing  the guitar.ogg, notes.eof, psarc, Pre-DDC-XML,Post DDC XML, DDC Log just in case you need to explore more than expected.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3m51lr4nlo8b8/HandShape_startTime_adjustment

Basically what I am noticing is that, if you see below the slightly more expanded view than the earlier screenshot, it seems like DDC is moving the handshape start point from the first to the 2nd note in the 2nd and 4th marked handshapes, but interestingly the 1st and 3rd marked handshapes remain untouched. So it seems like DDC wants to start handshapes on a beat marker, which  handshapes 1 and 3 allow but handshapes 2 and 4 don't since they start between beats.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/DDC%20Log%20Handshape%20Adjustment%20Question%20-%2011Mar15/Handshape%20Start%20Time%20Adjustment%20expanded_zpsltzhualn.png

In case you were going to check the included psarc, which I suspect you won't have to, it still requires good tones, a tiny bit more polish/testing,  optimized DDC ramp-up, resolve Linknext/Marked handshape issues causing noteheads to disappear in random places of my (Part Real_Bass)  finger-style arrangement and resolve intended linked phrases not leveling together.  All good testing fun. :)

Merci!!

Hi Berneer,

The two handshapes need to be adjusted because their first note is not selected at level 0. They are complete start with level 1.

This behaviour is expected for DDC.

Do you have an issue about this behaviour in RS2014 ?

Thanks

hi, i posted in a new thread like a doofus, and was directed here.

i did a song thing. it is crashing DDC. i havent had enough sleep. sorry for being stupid.

zip with eof file, xml files, and guitar.ogg is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TjljRp4LJucVJYdmQxWWx3M0k/view?usp=sharing

if anyone could take a look and help me out, that would be awesome.

thanx!

hi, i posted in a new thread like a doofus, and was directed here.

i did a song thing. it is crashing DDC. i havent had enough sleep. sorry for being stupid.

zip with eof file, xml files, and guitar.ogg is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TjljRp4LJucVJYdmQxWWx3M0k/view?usp=sharing

if anyone could take a look and help me out, that would be awesome.

thanx!

Hi III_Demon,

Your XML files are not valid.

There are extra informations after the end tag "</song>".

To correct them :

- open each file with a text editor (notepad++ for example)

- delete all informations after the "</song>" end tag

- save the file

- generate DD with DDC

How did you obtain these files (EOF, Toolkit, other) ?

That's the second time I see this issue.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Berneer

The two handshapes need to be adjusted because their first note is not selected at level 0. They are complete start with level 1.

This behaviour is expected for DDC.

Do you have an issue about this behaviour in RS2014 ?

Thanks Chlipouni! Ok I get it, handshapes are to only appear when a note or chord is to be struck, and in lower difficulty levels with notes removed that means shifting the handshape start time to the right to the next non-removed note in the handshape sequence. And DDC is clever to monitor this and move handshakes at lower difficulties as necessary. I never noticed how official DLC deals with handshapes in lower difficulties so I assume you programmed it as it is done in official songs. Either way I don't see an issue with it.

I see arguments for both sides of the coin: the handshape appearing early at lower levels gives the user advance notice to prepare and will clue him into what will appear in he next level, however a

Handshape showing up early may have the undesirable effect of confusing and distracting he user.

Like I said, either way I is fine in my opinion. I happy to understand now and not worry that my CDLC is broken... :)

Merci

À+

Hi III_Demon,

Your XML files are not valid.

There are extra informations after the end tag "</song>".

To correct them :

- open each file with a text editor (notepad++ for example)

- delete all informations after the "</song>" end tag

- save the file

- generate DD with DDC

How did you obtain these files (EOF, Toolkit, other) ?

That's the second time I see this issue.

Thanks

wow, i never would have found that. thanx lots! it works now!

these came straight out of EOF. should i post in that thread?

the tabs came from songsterr, i tweaked them a lot in guitar pro, then imported gp5 into EOF. somewhere along that line, something got messed up i guess.

EOF doesn't have any program logic that writes to the XML file after the tag is written.  Something abnormal would have had to happen for EOF to do such a thing (ie. program corrupted in memory), but it's more likely EOF would crash instead of write such a corrupted file.  If you can find a way to ever reproduce such a behavior (ie. load a particular file and perform certain operations), let me know.

i'm using r1359.

that zip file i posted includes my notes.eof file that produces the bad xml every time.

i havent figured out wtf reproduces it... but i did stab at it for quite a while. i re-created the song from scratch.... i guess i'll post the .gp5 i've been importing, thats the next question mark...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TjljRp4LJuOEFCdDBIVlFYWW8/view?usp=sharing

there it is, if you'd like to check it out.

i'm pretty lost on the whole thing. i cant think of any other info to give you guys. if i ever do run into a clue, i'll be sure to let you know. the only weird thing i discovered was some blank text annotations in the guitar pro tabs, but i cleared those out with the event management stuff in EOF.

for now, i have a work-around... but it does spit out bad xml every time i export, so whatever this bug is, its still there.

r1359 is almost half a year old, is there a compelling reason to not use a newer version?  Looking at the XML, it seems more like something on your computer was keeping the files open so that during a subsequent save, the files were partially overwritten instead of entirely overwritten.  EOF doesn't open files in append mode, so I don't think it's on EOF's side of things.  When I open and save your project file on my computer, the XML files are written properly with no content after the tag.

Can you post this issue in the EOF topic ?

Thanks

i was about to, and then i ran through some more tests.... its the toolkit thats doing it. the latest beta RST. the last stable release doesnt do it. .... so i guess i'll post in there instead. =]

thanx everyone for all your help. this community is fantastic.

Is there a maximum number of sections you can put in a chart?

Some requests for the new rocksmith game is that people want to be able to pause in the song wherever they want. So I was thinking you could just create sections in the chart every half or quarter second and this would produce somewhat decent results for pausing anywhere in the track.

You think you could implement this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy