Recommendations for "slow" songs

NotStanley

Question

Hey,

First, just want to say this site, in combination with Rocksmith itself, has been a wonderful thing for me.  I had wanted to learn to play the bass since high school, and now 20 or so years later I'm actually learning.  It's been the perfect way to unwind after 9 hours of looking at spreadsheets at work!

The main point of this thread is I'm looking for recommendations for "slow" songs, preferably ones that have bass tracks.  Ones currently in my collection that fit the bill include Patsy Cline's Crazy, George Michael's Kissing a Fool, and Nora Jones' Don't Know Why.  Things like NIN's Hurt also works, as does Chris Isaak's Wicked Game.

Apologies in advance if there's a thread for this already.  I searched and couldn't find one.

Thanks,

NotStanley

5 answers to this question

Sting - Fields of Gold?

I don't really do slow, much, these days.  And when I do, I find it a little more difficult than "hectic". :D

Edit:  Trying to go through my catalogue...

Are you trying to impress a girl - or just looking for slower tempo to play? :D

REO Speedwagon - Can't Fight this Feeling

Rihanna - Diamonds

The Shins - For a Fool (you should already have this one) ;)

Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin'

Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall (slow tempo-ish, maybe not slow song…)

Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers (again not a slow song as such, but not fast and not overly complicated)

Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud

I have a few more, but these are the only ones I have in my CDLC directory at the moment.

A few more:

Air Supply - All Out of Love

Eagles - Best of My Love

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (I think, from memory)

Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love

Elton John - Candle in the Wind

Dido - Hunter

Bill Withers - Lean on Me

Amy Winehouse - Love Is a Losing Game

La Sera - Love That's Gone (another one you should already have)

Eminem - Love the Way You Lie

Eagles - Love Will Keep Us Alive

Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet

Eminem - Stan

Ben E. King - Stand By Me

Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time

Carol King - Will You Love Me Tomorrow

Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight

Bryan Adams - All for Love (I like Bryan Adams, but I really don't like this song.)

And now that I've swapped all of my songs in my DLC folder, I've no doubt I'll be playing some of these tomorrow.

I have downloaded a number of slow songs thinking they would be easier to play in an attempt to build bass skills...WRONG! I found some of them are harder to play. but love giving them a shot anyways. some of the most challenging bass songs were by The Beatles, that Paul McCartney is an animal on the bass.

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Are you trying to impress a girl - or just looking for slower tempo to play? :D

Ha!  Not so much...   My wife's more into punk and rock in general, so she'd be more impressed with me learning more Ramones and Sex Pistols :D

I think it's more the slower tempo, and longer notes.  A lot of what I like (and what I've been trying to play) is short, fast, repeated notes.  Rammstein, Lindemann, the couple of Mars Volta songs I can do decently, etc.  But I find that I'm more focused on nailing all the notes than I am on falling into a rhythm, or getting a feeling for why the notes are in the pattern they're in.  So I'm kinda getting faster, but not necessarily better, if that makes any sense.  The slower tempo songs might help me fix that.

• Like 2