Dragonman's Running Wild Workshop

Dragonman

Hi there, I am starting a Running Wild Workshop because I am a huge fan and because Rock 'n' Rolfs masterpieces are vastly underrepresented around here  ;)

I will begin with easier songs since I am trying to play these songs myself and I haven't played for a while (some 20 years or so  :P ). As I was trying to get back into playing I ran across Rocksmith 2014 and all the possibilities it does offer. So here I am now trying to bring you guys some awesome Pirate Metal from Hamburg, Germany  B)

Any suggestions, help as well as critique and even critcism are greatly appreciated since I am relatively new to this and willing to learn as much as I can.

Thank you  :)

Cheers,

Dragonman

• Like 1

CURRENT PROJECTS FOR TESTING:  

Black Wings Of Death (from "Pile Of Skulls", 1992)

• v1.1: Rhythm Guitar, Bonus Rhythm Guitar, Vocals 
  • v1.2: added lead guitar and bass guitar, fixed some sync issues, added palm muting, added more sections for riff repetitor (download)
  • v1.2.1: replaced lead guitar harmonic bends with vibrato, other minor corrections -> download here (file corrupted, working on it)

Dragonmen (from "Black Hand Inn", 1994)

• v0: rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass, vocals (download)

Whirlwind (from "Pile Of Skulls", 1992)

IN QUEUE:

• Walpurgis Night (originally from "Gates To Purgatory, 1983 - I will use the 1991 version from "10 Years of Piracy")

• green   = completed/released
  • yellow  = working on it...
  • red       = not yet, guys
  • purple   = future projects
Edited by Dragonman

Definitely a band that deserves more love on here. I'll be happy to test things when they're ready (I'll try to check out Black Wings of Death when I get home) and offer advice.

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Thank you for your willingness to help a newbie during his first steps as a custom song creator ;)

I already have encountered my first problem with version 1.0: Somehow the lead guitar part does not appear in-game. I will try to see whether I can fix this in v1.1

I am really looking forward to your feedback!  :)

Edit:

I recognized some minor hiccups with the alternative rhyhtm guitar part (a couple of missing chords, no big deal). That's because I concentrated on the main rhythm guitar part when editing the tabs. I'll fix this soon and remove the alternative part from future versions until it's done.

Edited by Dragonman

OK, I haven't played all paths, but I just played lead, and here are my comments

1) Sync seemed OK. Not perfect, but pretty close and pretty consistent. The notes lead the audio by a little bit throughout most of the song. In EoF it looks like something like 1/20th of a second early in most places, with some places stretching out close to 1/10th of a second.

2) There should be palm mutes on most (or maybe even all) of the single notes on the A string. The easy way to do this is in EoF, select a note, press Shift+L to select all such notes (up to techniques) in the track, then press Ctrl+M to mute them. Do this for 0s, 2s, 5s, and 7s, then I think you're done, and I don't think there were any exceptions that would be unmuted.

3) Early in the solo there were a few harmonics with bends. This isn't really possible, which is annoying. It might be played as a pinch harmonic, it's also possible the "bends" are done by the whammy bar, in which case it's better to leave it as a plain harmonic (no other techniques) or with vibrato (which may hint people in to the whammy bar).

4) Some of the riffs with power chords I felt would be easier making use of other strings rather than shifting up and down the fretboard so much. It's playable as is, and this is mostly a preference thing, though.

5) There should be a lot more sections. Don't trust GP files to do them well. Right click on the beat where a section should start (should be the beginning of a measure and generally the beginning of a phrase), then press Ctrl+Shift+S to open up the section menu, and make sure the checkbox for adding phrases at the same location when you add it. If you want to do it mindlessly, usually doing every 8 measures outside of solos and every 4 measures inside solos works pretty well.

6) Lead guitar has the bonus arrangement box checked in the toolkit. This is why I could play it despite it being Xed out in game. You can use bonus or alternative arrangements, but you should always make sure that the highest one for that path in the toolkit doesn't have the bonus box checked or it will appear to be unavailable.

7) The tone was maybe a little quiet for the solo. Might be good to have a tone switch for that.

Also, I looked and it seems like one of the GP files has bass tabs. Is there a reason you aren't including it?

• Like 1

Here we go:

to 1):
after finding out how to zoom in and slow down the song ;) I found out this: the main theme looks good to me throughout the song, but you are right concerning some other parts of the song. Problem is: Between 3:31.6 and 3:31.7, for example, there seems to be a small delay of around 1/20 of a second in the song itself (right before Rolf sings "black"). When u play the song at 50% you can recognize this already and at 25% it's pretty obvious. So the notes are now 1/20 early until at 3:46.1 after the B5 chord everything's in synch again.

So do I now move the notes in between just to make it fit the "error" in the original song or do I just keep it as it is because of "consistency"?

to 2):
This is so obvious that I simply forgot to do it in GP already ;) Thnx for the reminder.

to 3):

I have to admit that I really haven't looked at the Solo tabs at all since I have concentrated on the rhythm part early on. I will fix this issue though since you don't have to be able to play solos to do this :D

to 4):

Yip - my preferential playing style ;) I actually play the bridge on the E and A strings where you only have to move between frets 5 and 7 instead of 0 and 7 when playing it with the A and D strings. So I might change that in the tabs.

I am pretty lazy myself, that's why I, for example, play the main theme on the D and G strings (frets 9-12) where I only have to move 2 fingers instead of having to awkwardly slide my index finger back to fret 4 on the G string every time at the end of the riff when playing it on the G and H strings (frets 5 to 7 and...yeah, 4 in the end :P).

to 5):

Ok, I'll do that...but why should there be more sections?

to 6):
Thanks for the explanation. I will uncheck it.

to 7):
What do you mean by "having a tone switch"? Changing the sound of the solo part by using another RS-tone? (in EOF: Track->;Rocksmith->Tone change?)

And last but not least concerning the base guitar: I'm just getting started, give me some time, I will add it later  :)

Once again, thank you for testing and your input. I will try to upload v1.2 in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, weekends are largely occupied by my two little girls :D

With the sync, you should try to make each note in Rocksmith as close to in sync with the note in the audio as possible. So you should probably put a little bit of extra space between the beats where the shift occurs.

For sectioning, the reason why there should be sections is so that people can practice the song. Sections control the regions you can select during riff repeater. If you're a beginner who wants to learn the song, having DD can be nice, but in my experience RR is much more effective for learning things and practicing specific things.

For the tone change, yeah, before and after the solo you'll need to put a tone change. Say to "Lead" (or something similar, perhaps more specific) at the start of the solo, then back to "Distortion" (or something) at the end of the solo. Then you'll need to set the Distortion tone to the default so it's started at the start of the song. My guess is the lead could be boosted (more negative) by a dB or a bit more, and/or maybe some EQing.

v1.2.1 is available - quite some work once you get into the pesky details ;)

DLC is not working, RS freezes after tuning, so I guess I f'ked up something. Other DLCs are still working. Back to the drawing board I guess... :unsure:

So while I was trying to get the BWOD-DLC to work again, I was thinking about trying out "Dragonmen", one of my favorite RW songs (see where my moniker's from? *hinthint* ;) ).

Thankfully the tabs are pretty good and there are only 4 instruments so I didnt have to merge a lot of stuff. So here's v0 of Dragonmen for testing, have fun :)

For myself, it will take a lot of practicing before I'll be able to play all those triplets well enough again  :P

added v0 of "Whirlwind": rhythm and bass guitar, lead (I and II) and vocals will follow next week.

I for one might never be able to play that song  ;)

I wanted to do "Fire & Ice"  from 'Blazon Stone' as well, but there are no tabs to be found anywhere for that song  :o  :(