Can you connect a laptop to a Line 6 amp?

chili_time

This is a question from a low tech guy. I have a 15w Line 6 amp with an input jack for an iphone designed to play backing tracks thru the amp allowing me to play along.

Question – would it be okay to run the cable from the headphone jack on my laptop into the amp to play backing tracks and also play Rocksmith thru the amp? Don’t want to fry the laptop but I’d like to be able to play backing tracks and RS2014 from the laptop to the amp if it won’t fry either one.

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMV9RfoApHM5Zmi1CobqTJw

I did/still do, whilst playing bass, and I've had no problems with either of my bass amps so far, for at least a year.

I have however managed to blow the speaker in my Roland Micro Cube (guitar), I presume by doing this whilst playing bass.  (I swear I didn't plug my bass directly into a guitar amp...)

Mostly these days I use a splitter cable on my main amp though - I have the splitter running two cables from my bass, one to my laptop, and one direct the amp, then I have an aux. cable plugged into the amp from the laptop for the backing track with bass turned right down, if that makes any sense to you?

• Like 1

if your amp has an aux-in I don't see any problem with that.

I'm curious tough. Why would you want to still use RS while using backing tracks? Just plug your guitar in your amp. Or you can buy an external sound device for your guitar, wich will give you much better options than RS when you use software to create your own guitar sounds with amps/pedals etc from the software. You'll even be able to record your playing that way. You can get a descent device with software (usually a light version tough) included for around €100-150

• Like 1

Thanks ^ I'll do some google research on your ideas. Like I said I'm low tech when it comes to this stuff but I like your thoughts. Playing backing tracks that have no guitar reveals to me where I really need improvement. So I learn the song on RS and then migrate to a backing track when I know the song well. It is easier for me to navigate & launch free backing tracks using my laptop than using the iphone from this backing track site...

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

I think I will soon purchase a few backing tracks from that site for my favorites, so any feedback on that link is appreciated.

I use headphones to play RS2014 on the laptop because my laptop speakers sound terrible. I thought I may try RS2014 thru my amp just for fun and to rattle the walls a bit.

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

If you only want to hear what you're playing through your amp, do as I've done, get a splitter cable, and turn the Rocksmith guitar volume right down on your Rocksmith "backing track" feed to the aux in on your amp. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update for anyone that is interested... I bought the cable below on Amazon and run my laptop into the the cleanest settings on my Line 6 amp and let Rocksmith supply the tones for each song. Works great and while it does not sound as good as a quality set of headphones it does allow you to rattle the roof when you feel the need. For songs I want to practice with a pedal board I still use the Line 6 POD HD but for just plain fun playing a set list this is a good setup. Only downside is now I want a better quality better amp. :P

http://www.amazon.com/Sentey-Braided-Audiophile-Premium-Connector/dp/B017ABOMSW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

• Like 1

• 3 months later...