Switching Tone - What is Clean Tone for?

chapmak

OK, I read how to insert tones.   The song had one tone (distortion) to make life simple.  EOF doesn't like just having one tone that kicks in a few sections of the song.

I saw one suggestion to have the same tone, change the file name and set it as the default tone.  Then place the second tone where its needed in the song.

So if you place a distortion tone at the start of song, but its not needed until later, does this actually turn on distortion.     Is there such a thing as "Do nothing" tone that essentially functions as an off switch.    So you would put it at the start, then start put in Distortion 2, then to turn if off, put in the Do Nothing tone.

Is that what the Clean tone is for?    No real clue on this as you can tell. 

Am I totally wrong when it comes to turning off the tone?   

OK, I read how to insert tones.   The song had one tone (distortion) to make life simple.  EOF doesn't like just having one tone that kicks in a few sections of the song.

I saw one suggestion to have the same tone, change the file name and set it as the default tone.  Then place the second tone where its needed in the song.

So if you place a distortion tone at the start of song, but its not needed until later, does this actually turn on distortion.     Is there such a thing as "Do nothing" tone that essentially functions as an off switch.    So you would put it at the start, then start put in Distortion 2, then to turn if off, put in the Do Nothing tone.

Is that what the Clean tone is for?    No real clue on this as you can tell. 

Am I totally wrong when it comes to turning off the tone?   

You cant switch off a tone , only change it. A tone starts wherever you place it on the chart.

Lets say you have a song that has an acoustic intro but then changes to distortion for a bit and finally back to acoustic for the ending.

The way I would do it is find the place where the distortion starts and insert a tone name just before the tone starts , lets call it  "Distort". Then I would find where the distortion changes and insert a tone name just before the acoustic tone starts , Lets call it "Acoustic". Then go to the list of names of tones and make "Acoustic" the default , A track starts with the default tone unless told otherwise.

When you pack the track in the toolkit you will have to create tones called "Distort" & "Acoustic".

I hope that makes it clear.

• Administrator

Just a side note you don't need to put a tone at the start unless you aren't starting the song with the "default" tone but that would go against the interest of the default tone that loads first. All official always start the arrangement with the default tone.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I'm confused here...

The whole song has only 1 tone, which is a distortion tone.  But you don't want the custom to have that tone until a certain part of the song?

Well what is the fkn point of that?

I am going to presume it's a bad explaination and offer some advice.

- Near the beginning of the song (like 3 seconds in, I would not make it on zero seconds) make a tone change (Ctrl+Shift+R) and call it "MyCleanTone"

- Make another tone change when you want distortion and call it "MyDistortionTone"

- Go to Track/Rocksmith/Tone change/Names.  Click on MyCleanTone and then the Default button.  Now EoF will not be confused, and the song will start with your clean tone.

Now, in the toolkit you must make TWO tones.  One called MyCleanTone and one called MyDistortionTone.

You can borrow tones from other customs.  Pick which tones you want from other customs (a clean and a distortion obviously) and make the toolkit import them using the Import button down in the Tones section.  You can point the toolkit straight to the .psarc of your choice(s).  Now change their names to MyCleanTone and MyDistortionTone.

I would put the tones into the toolkit before pulling in the Guitar.XML and make sure you spell everything correctly.

- Disclaimer, I know there are loads of ways of doing it.  I tried to keep it simple.  If anyone else wants to type out their way, go for it.  I think he is just confused that you need to make a dummy tone change when an arrangement only has 1 actual tone change in the song.

- Near the beginning of the song (like 3 seconds in, I would not make it on zero seconds) make a tone change (Ctrl+Shift+R) and call it "MyCleanTone"

Dude your wasting valuable seconds putting a tone at the start. As I said earlier and Firekorn reiterated the default tone always starts first. I reckon it takes you about 2 seconds per song to put the first tone in , that's a minute saved with 30 songs , an hour with 1800 songs and a whole day with 33200 songs :P

I don't understand, sorry :(

The use of the word default can mean many things.  The default tone in EoF (with (D) next to it), the default tone the toolkit gives customs when a custom is built with no specified tone, the RS default tone for Rhtyhm/Lead...  I do not know what one you mean.

It is not necessary to add a dummy tone change in EoF any more for songs with only 1 tone change?  How do you do that?  Do you specify the opening tone of the song in the toolkit?

Even with one tone change in a song, there are still 2 tones required.  When do you tell EoF the name of the opening tone?

• Administrator

The default tone in the toolkit is the one put as default in EOF. And the default in the toolkit ends up being the one that loads with the song and therefore is the one to be active when starting a song.

When you don't have tone change :

1) Don't put any in EOF

2) put the tone you want for the CDLC in the toolkit in the default slot

3) ???

4) profit!

If you need a tone change then the way you do it avoid some mistake if you play around in the toolkit but that's some pretty specific case where you have only 1 tone change and stay on that tone for the rest of the song.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I don't understand, sorry :(

Have you ever tried to be funny and fail , this is one of those times :( I think I might have Aspergers :D 

The use of the word default can mean many things.  The default tone in EoF (with (D) next to it), the default tone the toolkit gives customs when a custom is built with no specified tone, the RS default tone for Rhtyhm/Lead...  I do not know what one you mean.

I mean the default tone in EoF with a (D)

It is not necessary to add a dummy tone change in EoF any more for songs with only 1 tone change?  How do you do that?  Do you specify the opening tone of the song in the toolkit?

I have no idea about dummy tones ??? maybe this issue was fixed before I started making customs.

Even with one tone change in a song, there are still 2 tones required.  When do you tell EoF the name of the opening tone?

What I said earlier only applies to 3 tone changes but only two tones. Your mark the 2nd & 3rd tone change. Which ever tone you choose as default (D) is the starting tone.