How to change the length of a note

lduperval

Hi,

I imported  a GP5 song which has a lot of triplets, to give it a swing feel.

When import it, I have a couple of places where the last note of a triplet goes all the way to the next measure. It happens two or three times, and I don't understand how to fix it.

Is there a way to change the length of a note in EOF? If not, how can I fix these errors?

Thanks,

L

You can alternatively use [ and ] instead of the scroll wheel if you like.  Make sure to check out the Help>Keys dialog, which describes many of the keyboard controls for the more common functions.  There are some other tutorials in the Help menu as well.

I believe that he is talking about an imported Let Ring, which can connect notes by linknext across huge parts of the chart.  It looks weird as hell in EoF and is difficult to get rid of unless you are well versed in the ways of EoF.

- Select a long note

- Hit Shift+N (to loose linknext status, the red arrow will disappear from underneath it)

- Hit T (to loose crazy status, the note will loose it's black colour)

- Now you can roll the mouse wheel and set sustain as normal

I can upload a few files that do it if it would be helpful.  But I always put it down to dodgy .gpx conversions.

• Administrator

It's dodgy EOF import that did this at one point and i even made a topic about it : http://customsforge.com/topic/24262-crazy-status-on-import-where-not-needed/

Without much information on the exact issue the OP is facing it's hard to know what exactly he is asking for but unwanted crazy status should not be.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

The crazy status comes from the fact that EoF is linking it to a note further into the chart.  EoF needs to make it crazy to let it pass other notes.  It's the linknext that's the real problem.

My theory is that the let ring should end at the end of the bar. but instead carries on until EoF finds another note on that string.  I thought it was .gpx conversions as I have only really seen it since I started using GP6 at Xmas time, through different versions of EoF.  I did read your topic but I thought it was solved.

If anyone wants a look, this is probably the worst one I have found.  Import Eric Clapton's track and it won't be long until you are scratching your head...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KyV2NPcjJMMDcwZ0k/view?usp=sharing

and the original is here

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/the_dirty_mac/yer_blues_guitar_pro.htm

A lot of presumption here I know, and a fuller description in the OP would help.  I am always wrong and I am sure that I will be corrected yet again :D

Sometimes things that look straightforward in Guitar Pro are messily encoded in the GP file itself.  I don't have one of these offending files on hand immediately, but if a "let it ring" note is encoded as a note that extends all the way to the next note played on that string, EOF will take it literally and import it that way.

HI,

Sorry for the late reply. It looks like the email notifications are broken or removed on the site. 

I can post the file and let you look, to see. The originial file was in TuxGuitar format and exported to GP5. Opening it again in GP5 works fine.

In a nutshell (I'm doing this by heart) I have a triplet on the blue string, followed by something on the yellow string, and then another note on the blue string. Well in EoF, the last note of the triplet extends pass the notes on the yellow and up to the next note on the blue string. So it looks like the linknext problem mentioned above, even though I have no link in my tab.

Thanks for the keyboard/wheel scroll help, I'll try it when I go back to work on a file.

L

The "problem" is from the GP file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KyeENLWVkxRlphZm8/view?usp=sharing

it is a let ring over other notes and imports correctly imo.

To fix

- Click on the D14 in bar 30

- Press Shift+L

- Press "T"

- Click on A11 in bar 36

- Press Shift+L

- Press "T"

This will "fix" the problem, but then you really need to set proper sustain lengths not use the default "infinite sustain" right up to the next note.

If you wanna copy official dlc

- Set Grid Snap to 1/48

- Press Ctrl+A

- Roll mouse wheel down 4 times (4 clicks)

- Job done

I don't use official length sustain, I like to use my own length (shorter).  I'm only guessing at 4 mouse wheel rolls, you can do it to taste and that will get you in the right ball park.

Enjoy :D

As mentioned, the notes in measures 30 and 36 that overlap other notes are authored to do so. I don't see that they're marked as "let it ring", but they are this way because the notes they connect to (in measure 31 and measure 37) are marked as tie notes. You can remove this notation in Guitar Pro by selecting each of those latter notes and then removing the tie status by disabling "Note>Tie note" and re-importing into EOF, or you can alter the imported notes in EOF as PC Plum described.

Well, whaddya know, it was a problem between the keyboard and the chair...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MOGIxRhGf0VjR3NkZscTNHbWc

The second note of measure 37 was linked on the wrong string... OK, move along, nothing to see here...

At least I now know how to change the length of a note, and this isn't the first time I've wanted to change that.

Thanks!

L

HI,

I'm doing some transcribing of Bass Aerobics. 10 of them are already on the site and I'm doing more as I progress through the book. But I'm not taking a lot of care to make them "perfect" because I just need them for practice. If you don't mind, I can make them available, but be warned: they have mistakes and I don't plan on correcting them. :) I won't publish them in the database.

Lemme know!

L