Help me, help you!

ikwtif

I used a pencil in the nut part,and probably that ruined the nut also,

rubbing a pencil on the nut would not have ruined it unless you damaged the channel. The graphite in a pencil just acts as a dry lube.

Are you using the same guage strings that came with the guitar?

Honestly i have no idea,but when i got this strat. it had 9th string on it,but i use 10th strings on this and also on the les paul and sg.I even tried the pencil again,and it just ruined on the nut more.

I can guarantee you that just putting graphite on your nut would not ruin it. Even if it did you can remove the graphite. 

Just a thought , do you here the buzzing through an amp or just acoustically

I hear it when just play it without an amp,like a normal guitar.

Then you should just forget about it , it's not an issue as it's an electric guitar , if it was an acoustic it would be a different story.

I'm sorry but i'm not so sure what are you talking about. I do now want to just ignore it,because it anoys me as hell.

It might just be one of those guitars that always annoys , it happens. I've spent months trying to get rid of fret buzz and nothing worked except hanging it on the wall.

I used a pencil in the nut part,and probably that ruined the nut also,

rubbing a pencil on the nut would not have ruined it unless you damaged the channel. The graphite in a pencil just acts as a dry lube.

Are you using the same guage strings that came with the guitar?

Honestly i have no idea,but when i got this strat. it had 9th string on it,but i use 10th strings on this and also on the les paul and sg.I even tried the pencil again,and it just ruined on the nut more.

I can guarantee you that just putting graphite on your nut would not ruin it. Even if it did you can remove the graphite. 

Just a thought , do you here the buzzing through an amp or just acoustically

I hear it when just play it without an amp,like a normal guitar.

Then you should just forget about it , it's not an issue as it's an electric guitar , if it was an acoustic it would be a different story.

I'm sorry but i'm not so sure what are you talking about. I do now want to just ignore it,because it anoys me as hell.

It might just be one of those guitars that always annoys , it happens. I've spent months trying to get rid of fret buzz and nothing worked except hanging it on the wall.

If only the open strings whould not buzz,there whouldn't be any problem about fret buzz.

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

@@ShrillBear52 Does the buzzing stop when you press the string down behind the nut? If so, just install a string tree. Stratocasters usually have one on the two highest strings, but many people also put one on the D and G strings too. Also, if it's a cheap knock off (not a Fender) Strat, they might have done a crappy job of cutting the nut properly. 

I'd also recommend going through all of the steps in that tutorial, though. You could very well find that the nut is not the problem, because without detailed pictures or measurements, we can't say for sure. And you'll learn the process.

With regard to the truss rod, you can usually make adjustments by turning it about one quarter turn at a time. So if you turn it more than a full turn or two without any changes to the measurements in your neck relief (see tutorial), then it's almost certainly broken.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

@@ShrillBear52 Does the buzzing stop when you press the string down behind the nut? If so, just install a string tree. Stratocasters usually have one on the two highest strings, but many people also put one on the D and G strings too. Also, if it's a cheap knock off (not a Fender) Strat, they might have done a crappy job of cutting the nut properly. 

I'd also recommend going through all of the steps in that tutorial, though. You could very well find that the nut is not the problem, because without detailed pictures or measurements, we can't say for sure. And you'll learn the process.

With regard to the truss rod, you can usually make adjustments by turning it about one quarter turn at a time. So if you turn it more than a full turn or two without any changes to the measurements in your neck relief (see tutorial), then it's almost certainly broken.

You can see for your self,i tried to do the press the strings while play them open,not sure if you chould judge about it how i did it in the video(the stratocaster) in the other video i hope you can hear how to first 4 string are buzzing while open ,expct the B and high e,(the les paul)

http://www.filedropper.com/mov0053

http://www.filedropper.com/mov0055

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

You can see for your self,i tried to do the press the strings while play them open,not sure if you chould judge about it how i did it in the video(the stratocaster) in the other video i hope you can hear how to first 4 string are buzzing while open ,expct the B and high e,(the les paul)

Well, that not what I meant at all. I meant this. In any case, it was pretty clear that your nut is cut VERY deep (on your "Stratocaster" from the factory. The strings are basically resting right on the first fret. That's where the buzzing is coming from. I can't see how much relief your neck has, but if it's too straight, it will only make much the buzzing worse. After following the tutorial completely, you may still find that you'll need a shim in your nut, or to have it replaced.

The second video (your Les Paul) wasn't helpful at all. We would need to see the nut, the height of the strings at the 12th fret, and the height of your bridge (at both ends) to diagnose the problem.

Since you think that the truss rod is broken on your strat, let's just focus on your Les Paul for now - one guitar at a time :) . Using the tutorial from a few posts back, follow and execute EACH step. Still doesn't seem like you've done this.

If you still have questions AFTER FOLLOWING THE TUTORIAL, then start a new thread (this one was/is supposed to be focused on music theory) in the help section that includes very specific details, like measurements of the height of your strings at the 1st, 12th, and last frets (or pictures that show string height or neck straightness). Pictures like this, this, and this would be helpful.

Did I mention to follow the tutorial first? Just making sure. :D

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Well, that not what I meant at all. I meant this. In any case, it was pretty clear that your nut is cut VERY deep (on your "Stratocaster" from the factory. The strings are basically resting right on the first fret. That's where the buzzing is coming from. I can't see how much relief your neck has, but if it's too straight, it will only make much the buzzing worse. After following the tutorial completely, you may still find that you'll need a shim in your nut, or to have it replaced.

The second video (your Les Paul) wasn't helpful at all. We would need to see the nut, the height of the strings at the 12th fret, and the height of your bridge (at both ends) to diagnose the problem.

Since you think that the truss rod is broken on your strat, let's just focus on your Les Paul for now - one guitar at a time :) . Using the tutorial from a few posts back, follow and execute EACH step. Still doesn't seem like you've done this.

If you still have questions AFTER FOLLOWING THE TUTORIAL, then start a new thread (this one was/is supposed to be focused on music theory) in the help section that includes very specific details, like measurements of the height of your strings at the 1st, 12th, and last frets (or pictures that show string height or neck straightness). Pictures like this, this, and this would be helpful.

Did I mention to follow the tutorial first? Just making sure. :D

Please don't look me an autist,but i don't know what are you talking about when you mentioned 'Well, that not what I meant at all'. I 

Pressd the string behind the nut,while i playd them open,you wantid this right?  And yeah,maybe i should start a new topic about guitar set up, i just afraid to do another because i made so many in the past XD

• Like 1

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

@@ShrillBear52 I'm sorry if I let my frustrations get the best of me. I'm really trying to help, I hope that's been clear all the way through.

If I had your guitar(s) in front of me, I could set them up for you - but obviously that's not possible. The next best thing is for me to show you how - which is what I'm trying to do. There's no shortcut to setting up a guitar. Everything must be done in order, which is why I keep pointing you back to that tutorial.

There are probably a couple of things that are causing the buzzing, so there probably isn't one single solution.

• Like 1

looking forward to getting back to the purpose of this thread though.

I might start putting up the thread slowely with what I already got. Wich still isn't really that much at the moment, but it might be easier for people to ask more specific questions on what they want to have explained, or ways to practice certain parts. I'm also starting from the very basics, like explaining the fretboard / intervals / how to build chords and scales, and I'm not sure if a lot of people will have a lot of help from it since I have no idea what the general knowledge is from people on the forum and no way to really gauge it. Or if people are even interested in it. But I want it to be a guide for new, to more intermediate players so I have no choice rather than really to start from the very basics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spend the $35 or $75 dollars to have a music shop or luthier setup your instrument.

Most times you can make nice with people in a music shop and request to observe the setup process, you can then ask questions about what is going on.

I really need to have this done but I cant bear to part with my guitar. How long does a setup take? If i could take it home the same day that would be awesome.

Spend the $35 or $75 dollars to have a music shop or luthier setup your instrument.

Most times you can make nice with people in a music shop and request to observe the setup process, you can then ask questions about what is going on.

I really need to have this done but I cant bear to part with my guitar. How long does a setup take? If i could take it home the same day that would be awesome.

You can get it done sameday or while you wait but that all depends on the shop and how busy they are. You will need to contact all your local shops :)

A setup done by somebody who is used to do it shouldn't take much longer than one hour (probably even less) if there are no major issues. The question is wether they have time to do it that day, so it's probably best to ask what day they would and if it's possible to bring your guitar then instead of leaving it there until they have time. But I'm guessing that will depend on the shop/guy doing the setup because they might just do it randomly between other jobs. But can't hurt to ask. Might even be worth asking to be present when they do it