Curious how good are you?

bobbybrady123

Ok. Pretend we were sitting around hanging out. Some people can play by ear, they can hear a melody and play something close. With more time they would sound near correct.

No guitar pro for this, but if you were given these two links, could you play this song after some practice? Thank you.

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/madonna-live-to-tell-chords-s215468

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/madonna-live-to-tell-tab-g-s215468

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qB5RwPQAA

No I could not play it with years worth of practice. I broke my left extreme metacarpal 20 odd years ago and have a metal plate that was surgically put in to hold the bone together while it healed. I've lost all fine control in my pinky to the point certain barres hurt. There's too much pinky work for me to be able to play it.

As far as how good I am, I'm on par with Dave Lister, yeah I'm that good!

He starts playing at 49 seconds.

• Like 1

Been years since I've seen a Red Dwarf reference lol.  I can't play by ear to save my life.  I also can't name the notes on the board by letter, but if you tell me string and fret I know exactly where to be lol.  A buddy of mine, who has many years of experience, ended up coming up with a code when he wants me to keep a beat at specific spots.  Instead of saying one letter or another, he just throws out 1-5 or 3-12 etc since I can pick up on that immediately.

My Customs and DD's

Current Projects:

Suffocation

• Administrator

Well if i was actually interested in that song, yeah i could, doesn't seems to complex at a first sight. Probably nail most of it in 1 or 2 week of practice (around 10 hours...)

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Given one of those links and listening to the song, I could probably figure out how to play something very close within 10 minutes, and could probably get it down pat after about an hour.

Learning by ear (i.e. without the links) I could still probably do it, but it'd take me considerably more time to work out the chords.

• Like 1

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

No I could not play it with years worth of practice. I broke my left extreme metacarpal 20 odd years ago and have a metal plate that was surgically put in to hold the bone together while it healed. I've lost all fine control in my pinky to the point certain barres hurt. There's too much pinky work for me to be able to play it.

Never say never. Know Django Reinhardt by any chance? He's considered to be in the top guitar players. Now here's the funny thing, he only had 3 fingers on his left hand, and he plays like this....

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, back on topic.

Doesn't look too hard of a song, specially with tabs I could learn it fairly fast (like an hour at most) Playing by ear I really can't tough, but I'm in the process of learning how to do it. Since I'm in the process of writing a basic tutorial for music theory, I'm curious. What do you think you would have problems with for learning that song? 

• Like 1

I'm a bassist, not a guitarist, so take that as what it's worth. I've only listened to a minute or so of the song, and I'll tell you right now, the bass line is utterly simple. I could pick it up and play it first time no issues. I knew that after 30 seconds; even the first 10 seconds of the bass line was sufficient to tell me where it would go and what sorts of embroidery (read: fills and freehand improv) I could viably use. As to whether I'd ever want to play such rubbish... well, if I were paid well enough, I could stand playing about anything. Other than that, the fact that I prefaced the theoretical by calling the song rubbish should tell you everything you need to know.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...