D3DX9_42.DLL or CDLC causing bugs with offical DLC.

JoeCow

Question

Hello, I have some issues with rocksmith which I think may be due to the D3DX9_42.DLL or the custom songs them selves.. I'm not sure if what i will  describe is old news or long solved but if not I hope someone can help me or provide insight on the matter.  I believe strongly in communities working together towards issues by reporting, troubleshooting and solving them as one. That said, if s solution is not known I hope maybe my report or that others may offer some clue or insights that lead to a solution in the future for everyone it concerns. I also belief that even personal individual bug reports can offer clues that may have been overlooked otherwise so even if you have no solutions or ideas but have experienced similar problems please report them and add any details you think relevant.

Okay so like I said I'm experiencing a number of issues and at first I suspected it was due to the D3DX9_42.DLL  file or one of more CDLC songs but I couldn't be sure and  thought my issues could be a bug with rocksmith its self since they effected my official dlc as well as CDLC..  However a couple months ago I switched to windows 10 and a new hard drive so when I reinstalled Rocksmith 2014 and the official DLC's I owned I just played it that way for most of the last 2 months and I noticed that all my issues were gone..

However 2 days ago I pulled the D3DX9_42.DLL file and all my CDLC from my external drive and dumped them back into my game and sure enough the issues returned which makes me certain that its and issues with the D3DX9_42.DLL file or one or more CDLC files.. I hope its the DLL files causing it because of it not being the latest version or something as the one I got was from a very old thread here on custom forge. If its the CDLC then that could be a monstrous takes to find out which one(s) are effecting the game. Like I said the issues effect official DLC too.. Im not sure about base songs so much as I hardly play them in comparison to official DLC and CDLC but I have not noticed the issues with base songs..  The issues are as fallows

1. Mater mode will activate even if I have it turned off or even if I set level up to off. MM dose not bother me on most songs when I want it on but on some songs I just don't want it on.. whatever the reason it is annoying to have this turn on when it is not yet wanted or I feel like just seeing the notes..  here are 2 official DLC songs that I have noticed it happening 2 in the last 2 days...  Foreplay/Long Time by Boston and Fear of the Dark by Iron Medan 

2. Tones on many official songs sound different now. It is very much noticeably different from how they sounded before I put back in the CDLC and the DLL file which is needed to use CDLC. I notice that some will sound louder or otherwise more noticeable then be for or even quieter.. just basically they don't sound like they used to, like something has changed.. I don't sound as much in harmony with the backing guitar anymore.. I dont know how else to explain this right now.

3 answers to this question

The MM enabling disabling is a mystery. One thing you can do to try to prevent this is inside your RS directory once MM is disabled try setting your config to read only. This will negate any writing to config the game attempts to do. I'm not 100% certain there is a MM setting in the config, not in front of my computer atm so can't look. Another thing you can do is go into the game set MM off, instead of playing shutdown and restart the game this way the changes will be written and hopefully saved and adhered to on next run.

As for tones, I have noticed that the tones will change during a session or from session to session. Sometimes when I begin to slack it seems my input is quieted down even though I have player volume set 100 and track set 90 volume wise.

Hope this helps.

I also run Windows 10. Something else you can check are any updates Windows has done in the background. I have turned auto updates off on my computer as it ticked me off to be in the middle of playing only to have lag strike due to an update being downloaded and then Windows deciding to reboot in the middle of a game. I also had issues with Windows 10 updating drivers on it's own. In particular I had a crackling issue with Intel HD video drivers, it would interfere with my audio and cause crackling and random system lockups while playing RS2014.

The MM enabling disabling is a mystery. One thing you can do to try to prevent this is inside your RS directory once MM is disabled try setting your config to read only. This will negate any writing to config the game attempts to do. I'm not 100% certain there is a MM setting in the config, not in front of my computer atm so can't look. Another thing you can do is go into the game set MM off, instead of playing shutdown and restart the game this way the changes will be written and hopefully saved and adhered to on next run.

As for tones, I have noticed that the tones will change during a session or from session to session. Sometimes when I begin to slack it seems my input is quieted down even though I have player volume set 100 and track set 90 volume wise.

Hope this helps.

I also run Windows 10. Something else you can check are any updates Windows has done in the background. I have turned auto updates off on my computer as it ticked me off to be in the middle of playing only to have lag strike due to an update being downloaded and then Windows deciding to reboot in the middle of a game. I also had issues with Windows 10 updating drivers on it's own. In particular I had a crackling issue with Intel HD video drivers, it would interfere with my audio and cause crackling and random system lockups while playing RS2014.

Thank you for your input.. I may do that with the ini.. Im just not sure whats going on but im sure it has to do with the .DLL file or a custom tack or two because not one of these bugs happens before putting back in my customs and the .DLL..

I have clead up my rocksmith and uninstalled and re-installed it and put my CDLC and the DLL in another folder so for now Im bug free again..  Ive seen different versions of the DLL file going around and alternative versions of it so Im wondering whats up with that and if maybe changing it may fix the issue.. I will do some troubleshooting.... surly Im not the only one who experiences the MM issues.

EDIT. I just thought of another possibility if its not the DLL. One custom I think may be causing issues is Iron Maden Dance of Death, Its just a theory currently.. Ill try and test that when I can.