5 notes chords

stockey

Question

24 answers to this question

I have a pic of the bad boy here.http://postimg.org/image/3nb8rt4i3/

That'd be an F major chord. Get used to it, because you'll see it a lot :)

This type of chord is also known as a bar chord (or barre, I suppose), because your pointer finger forms a bar across the entire fretboard. In this case, across the first fret. This is a VERY common shape, and you'll see it all up and down the neck because you can form any major chord with it - i.e. a bar chord at the 3rd fret is a G major, and at the 5th fret it's a A major, etc.

The numbers 1,2,3,4 at the very bottom left of your pic are demonstrating how to play it, however the 3 and 4 are in mid-animation. They are on their way to the yellow and blue strings, respectively. 

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

Like GetTheLedOut said barre chords are very common, you can shift those chords to other positions for other chords of that shape, just need to know which notes are on which frets on the first two strings for root.

But they don't really contain 5 different notes... in that form they're only 3 different notes, triads, some of the notes are just octaved.

the most common chord typs are this, I call them the E-type and the A-type (how they are used in the open positions). Make sure to practice them in their major and minor forms (here all on 3rd fret)

http://up.picr.de/24815641rm.png

• Like 2
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Decomposing this important shape of chord, it's basically the shape of Em Emaj and Am on open strings.

So you can train them there with fingers mid, ring, tiny (instead of using the index)

It may also be easier to train the chords with barre on higher fret positions, as the distance between the frets is smaller, and the position for the index finger is also easier to align with the frets.

To sound clean, the index finger should lie closest to the fret iron.

I recommend Buckethead's : Walk on the Moon, which uses these chords on higher frets, and transitions are comfortably slow

• Like 2

Also with this power chord here http://postimg.org/image/rom66alkz/ ,do we have to play it with 3 fingers ? I play it with 2 fingers , the index and the ring finger, i don't use the pinky,  I  find it easier with just 2 fingers and it does the job.

Power chords are usualy play with 3 fingers,if you prefer to play it with 2,it's your job,but i suggest you to play with 3 fingers,because barre chords are use the main shape of powerchords and plus one finger     like this:

http://oi67.tinypic.com/34grbe8.jpg

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

Blitzkreig Bop is a great song to use to get your fingers used to barre chords, too.  The trick about learning to do the A minor, E and E Minor chords using your pinky, ring and middle fingers is good too.  Eventually it'll be second nature and all you really need to do is lay your index finger across all the strings.  Gotta get strength in there, too.  So don't forget exercises.

BTW,any exercises in mind ?

You mean to learn this shapes?  If you didn't tryd earlier, then barre chords 1 (chords 301) and barre chords 2 (chords 302), of if you mean by song,then i don't know :p     maybe, Holiday and Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day,they mostly use power chods,but they use barre chords too a lot  ;)

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

Notice that the powerchord is caracterized by it's note played by the index finger, and that the pinky is always the same note.

If it's an A5 the pinky plays an A and the index finger plays an A, which gives the chord more "body".

The rhythm path for Use Somebody by Kings of Leon has a lot of barre chords if you want practice. Mostly the same shape on frets 1, 5 and 8 so not too hard. Audioslave's Like a Stone has a section of barre chords using different frets and shapes. There are many others including the songs by Green Day suggestions above.

google youtube for videos of these options

• Like 1

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMV9RfoApHM5Zmi1CobqTJw