Locked Approved CDLC Filter

Would you like to see an Approved CDLC Filter?  

446 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see an Approved CDLC Filter?

• Administrator

Hello,We are now taking votes on releasing an CDLC approved area.

mini-faq:

What does this mean?

If the votes equal "YES", we would launch a new CDLC area for APPROVED CDLC's only. This means the CDLC will have everything finished, and tested by the community. This would include: Lead, Rhythm, Bass, Vocals, Custom Tones, Synced up, RR And optional DD. (NO issues)

(exception is if one of the Arrangement types isn't available for the song)​Additionally, you would need the appropriate album artwork, title, and everything else

So like SA's old system, right?

Similar yes, but better executed. All of the "approved" CDLCs would have to be 100% finished, in the correct format, and at an appropriate host that won't delete the song in a week or month if not downloaded.

EDIT:

This is NOT going to a separate section! There will be three filters - approved, unapproved, and in progress. The default will be to show all customs, but you can filter if you would like to see only approved customs. It will be integrated within our current search.

• Like 12

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

It appeared my follow up question might have gotten lost in chat.
I was wondering what method you were thinking of using to keep things from going sour like it did elsewhere.

So things like:
Could you elaborate on the planned approval process?
How many "votes" are needed to give a nod for approval?
Who gets to vote?
Will 'approvers' be named?
etc.

md_sig-e1431714006358.jpg

• Administrator

It appeared my follow up question might have gotten lost in chat.

I was wondering what method you were thinking of using to keep things from going sour like it did elsewhere.

So things like:

Could you elaborate on the planned approval process?

How many "votes" are needed to give a nod for approval?

Who gets to vote?

Will 'approvers' be named?

etc.

If the vote is a yes (looks to be that way) we will elaborate on everything before going ahead with it.

Approvers will be named, we still have to code and figure out how to do an approval system, and if we should wait for search3 or not.

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

• Administrator

and at an appropriate host that won't delete the song in a week or month if not downloaded.

So I can use a paid for sendspace account?

Don't use sendspace, it's in the rules.

I changed that rule, sendspace is allowed as long as a mirror is provided.

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

alright... couple of things i mentioned in chat, but wanted it to get put up here so people can think on it a bit.

1. the idea of this is really good, makes sense, but should be further diversified IMO... let me explain

- it's been explained that the approval hinges on hard factors such as the completeness of the chart in terms of instruments, this makes sense and is nice, but should be its own sub-category for a couple of reasons. those reasons are as follows.

2. reason list =p

- lots of songs don't have all parts involved, or some people may not be able to find certain tabs or whatever. leaving only one particular instrument to be done. for the sake of completion, yes, you'd like them all, but if they aren't it shouldn't hurt your chances of being "approved"

- some people may only care about one of the instruments in particular, why pseudo punish them for only doing what's relevant to them if they make it neat, playable, and well organized? other portions or even complete versions can be made my other people if they really want it, or a collaboration can be done in order to get all charts involved produced. things like vocals are a grey area in terms of their importance as well because they don't actually DO anything but fulfill the completeness effect. 

3. Important notes/considerations

- people will put higher weight on "approved" songs in terms of quality and worthwhile-ness to download just because it's given a name

- primary role of an "approved" section should (in my opinion) be to weed out the good from the okay or bad in terms of functionality of the song or accuracy of the song (such as bad tabs, bad sync, general unplayabilities)

- having a specific section for total completeness is a grand idea, but it could function more effectively if it is only a portion of the approved area.

4. suggested alternative (minor changes really)

-test on content as explained above, have a large list of accepted works, but show specifically in what areas they were approved (ie. multiple instruments) so on this list, you could say "oh, this song got approved even though it only has guitar and not bass, so we'll show that in our database somehow" 

- make a list that shows what is available in each approved chart so people can work together to make it more complete and know that the platform they use to complete a song is a sound one

- allow people to not do certain instruments, if somebody does a sweet job on guitar but doesn't like bass, just make sure the system can alert people to that information

5. DO have a section for total completeness within this list, but don't disqualify others from getting in based on completeness, it will make it much harder to find good charts and stratify the quality too much to be user friendly

everything mentioned above is my personal opinion, and you don't like it, sorry... i'm just explaining things in a way that i believe makes logical sense... if anyone wants clarification on a certain part, i'd love to give it to help!! i'm sure i've confused at least a couple of you with this... thanks!

• Like 2

This may relate to point 4,

What if in the Customs Database, The 'Parts' section (L/R/B/V) in addition to keeping the not done sections as greyed out, parts at a Workshop level were coloured bronze, parts that need tweaking get silver letters and parts that "sound like Jimi himself were playing" get gold/diamond sections.

Example: (totally made up, if you've released song X and are now crying because I'm saying it's bad, its not you, it's me)

I look through recent posts in the database and see that B.B. King "Every day I have the blues" is fresh out of someone's workshop and is in the database listed as:

[L] coloured gold - (it's accurate and it's gotten (~5) votes

[R] coloured black/silver - (released, but only a vote or 2 for approval so far, maybe in the song thread, someone has commented tone/bends aren't quite right yet, and author mentions plans to fix it)

coloured grey - (I have a bass tab, and am confident and willing to chart it, so offer to do that part and send it to the original CDLC'er for co-credit or no credit or whatever.)

[V] X or [N/A] - (pretend it's an instrumental and no lyrics exist, so song could be 'Approved' without needing this category filled)

I think as a partial solution, it could get more people involved who wouldn't otherwise.

example: someone who loves lyrics but has no confidence with guitars could quickly skim through the list and find songs to contribute to by learning to chart the lyrics, which would leave more time for guitar charters to chart.

EDIT: append an [A] part for Album art (maybe rate the metadata here like Artist/Title/Album Cover are correct, and display correctly in game - there are a few songs that sort weird from capitilisations, etc)

• Like 4

md_sig-e1431714006358.jpg

So I can use a paid for sendspace account?

Don't use sendspace, it's in the rules.

A paid sendspace account should allow for a direct download (no ads), no waiting for the download to start and no age limits (unless the paid account itself expires). That addresses all the reasons that people don't like SendSpace, I don't know why it wouldn't be acceptable.

My concern is for the less popular songs.  Songs that are hard to play, or are by bands that most people don't listen to.  They'll tend to never get approved because they lack traffic.  This leads to needing testers who are motivated to test these songs.  How does a more obscure song get some recognition?  How does a charter who puts a ton of time into an obscure song get a song approved and get the recognition?

And I don't have answers for it either.  I just like more obscure music and I want to see those songs getting charted too.  Just a thought, really, for consideration.

• Like 3

Ubuntu Studio FTW

http://ubuntustudio.org/

I'm pretty ambivalent about this whole thing.  There were plenty of songs on the other site that were perfectly playable and fun that for whatever reason never got "approved" by whoever did the approving.  If I want to know if a song is done well, I look at the comments.  If there are none, I just download it and take my chances.  If it has problems, I wait for the author to update it.  It probably helps that I don't download a ton of customs, only the ones I want to learn.

I'm not against an approved section, but I don't see a compelling reason to be for it either.

I would like to strongly second @Mad_Duck's suggestion for a "Diamond/Gold/Silver/Bronze/Grey/X" badge system.

I wouldn't mind seeing an "approved" section but, for me, the best solution would be a simple search option to filter out "approved only/* also/* not" (or even better an option for selecting "silver and above"/"gold and above"/etc).

This way, while browsing the full list of available songs, higher quality customs can stand out (the benefit of an approved section) while avoiding a major downside that comes with having a separate and exclusive area: effectively hiding all unapproved songs by default to anyone who goes directly to the approved content area.

Another way to look at the badge option (vs the separate area) is that we would be marking excellent customs as "verified", rather than as "the only good ones".

Well don't talk about sendspace i think its wasting time we here sparing a free learning staff and not buying account on sand space for good dl speedno adsetc on sand space.About his System - I think we just need highlight those tested dlc like DD indicator (name it tested or approved whatever) and drop it away when new version is out (cause its  not testedapproved yet).

BTW i don't like to put DD in songs because it was bad idea from Ubi and I think its rediculous to play some kind of "twinkle twinkle little star", while in songs you need to play a lot more - this is a learning software, hello...

I think that in this topic are good ideas. I dont know if is good idea to copy the system from SA (wherever if is improved).

We are looking for a way to be able to differentiate, which custom is more complete and accurate.

In my opinion, the people likes the package when it's excellent in the instrument they like. The perfect package for me is (I play guitar and bass, and I'm very thorough) the one that is like a RS Official DLC, because in this way you give to the others a complete package like if they are buying one DLC to Ubi. (This give a sensation of get a good song, someone sometime said that in the presentation of the product  is where people are convinced).

I like in certain grade the idea of Mad_Duck. Is a good partial solution, but contributes to see a lot of problems within the packages of the same song, that when people see, prefer which is more complete.

I think we need a system that catalog the custom for percentages based in the content that custom have. For me if the custom have a guitar, a bass, vocals, all the presentation on the menu functional, RR, DD (optional, for me is a good method checked: my sister with the game learn guitar in 1-2 months) and is synced with all the features that provide RS2014 fulfills the 100%.

In other way, we can use a kind of marker of differents colours or badges like said Mad_duck to difference the quality of the custom,

basis in what have and dont have, from the simplest to the most complete.

Other idea I like is have testers responsible for reviewing every song, in this way all the songs will be with a correct feedback or a correct grade.

Well, is only my opinion. (sorry if my english isn't perfect)

PD: I think that the better host is Dropbox by the way.

All my Customs here: Sirandok's CDLC  Total of Customs: 166 Last Update: Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting

"Music is Life"

If you make DD yourself without a generator you can generate the important things like where on the neck the chord is taken etc so you get a feel of hand positions before all notes come.

About less popular songs, I have very few DLs on my songs but I think they still would be classed as "approved" soooo

For me it would be nice to have a kind of segragation between CDLD that are ("let say") "work in progress" vs thoose that are finalised.

The "work in progress area" beeing the location where people could request for advises but also where "users" can give prelimiray (awaited) feedback and advises from the tests they have made (base on their valuable experience), which is always a welcome to learn and improve the CDCL

But of course, it raise the question about the judgment, for instance for one particular song some might not be satisfied with the version use for the "tabs and chords position" while others might be ! In this case, who can say "it is approved" and who can say "it shall not be approved (as I disagree with the tabs)".

There is one point I do converge with other comments here above is about the scope that shall be covered before beeing approved.

==> I also think that a CDLC could be approved even is limited to one instrument, as long as when playing only this instrument in the game will look like playing any official CDLC (in terms of options and quality), the approval tag could then be made instrument per instrument. 

To make the topic progress, I do vote yes.

The fact that a song will not be approved doesn't mean it's a bad custom.

It should only tell people that it's not approved yet...

Being approved is an honnor but not be isn't a shame.

Probably, too difficult or confidential songs won't be approved... so what?

These songs are for advanced players, they could try it themselfs and be aware if it is ok or not...

I think that approved section shoud tell to beginners or intermediate players "you can download this one, you wont loose your time in learning something that is not good or not true or not complete"

I think that a good custom with only guitar or bass should be approved. I'm not sure that the obligation to transcribe all the parts of a song is a good thing.