Editing existing work

dantrag28

@@dantrag28 - It depends on what types of things you want to do. If all that you want to do is to change the song volume, tones (and tone volumes), or scroll speeds, all that you need is the Toolkit to import the .psarc and then make the edits in the toolkit.

If you want to change the "tab" that is played in Rocksmith (including the sync and everything), that's a lot more complicated and also has a lot of caveats. Among the caveats, the Rocksmith import in EoF doesn't import time signatures (at least from older files: I believe it's actually put in nowadays), and all chord techniques except palm muting. In some songs restoring that kind of stuff can require more effort than starting the song from scratch (unless you can get the creator to send you the notes.eof file, in which case things might be easier).

Anyway, if you want to edit the tab, you'll also need EoF. After importing a .psarc with the Toolkit it generates a folder, with an "EoF" subfolder. This contains the .oggs and the .xml files, so you can point EoF to the .ogg do a Rocksmith import with the XML files, then go from there. Then when you're done editing things (this skips a lot of things that are covered in tutorials), replace the XML files in the toolkit with the new ones, and generate the new .psarc. 

• Like 2

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

@@dantrag28 - It depends on what types of things you want to do. If all that you want to do is to change the song volume, tones (and tone volumes), or scroll speeds, all that you need is the Toolkit to import the .psarc and then make the edits in the toolkit.

If you want to change the "tab" that is played in Rocksmith (including the sync and everything), that's a lot more complicated and also has a lot of caveats. Among the caveats, the Rocksmith import in EoF doesn't import time signatures (at least from older files: I believe it's actually put in nowadays), and all chord techniques except palm muting. In some songs restoring that kind of stuff can require more effort than starting the song from scratch (unless you can get the creator to send you the notes.eof file, in which case things might be easier).

Anyway, if you want to edit the tab, you'll also need EoF. After importing a .psarc with the Toolkit it generates a folder, with an "EoF" subfolder. This contains the .oggs and the .xml files, so you can point EoF to the .ogg do a Rocksmith import with the XML files, then go from there. Then when you're done editing things (this skips a lot of things that are covered in tutorials), replace the XML files in the toolkit with the new ones, and generate the new .psarc.

Wow, maybe I am better off starting from scratch...thx.

You could do worse than opening up a custom you like (and know) and having a look, if you are just starting out.  Or look at a good example from an experienced charter.

It might not have all the data when you get it into EoF, but load it up, turn on hand claps and play it.  The penny will drop.  Now the hard part is getting the songs you want to play into that condition :D

And I would use Unpack option in toolkit and tick the box "Decode Audio", this is the audio you need for EoF.  Once you load EoF and start a new project using the the .ogg music file the toolkit gave you, go to an appropriate guitar track (it will say Real_ in the name) and do a Rocksmith import.

Go to the tab with 0* written on it and you should see lots of coloured gems.  Hit the space bar to play and use the arrow keys to move about.  Press C to turn hand claps on and off.

Have fun :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Developer

Let's say I wanted to edit someone else's work to get an Idea of what I'm looking to do, what's the best way to go about doing that?

Not that hard to do.  Already been discussed here.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

It's pretty bloomin hard to do cozy, tbh.

Maybe not for a seasoned C++ head, but certainly for a 12yo that's just picked up a guitar and starting to get enough confidence to challenge tabs/customs and maybe wanting to make their own.

Plus the search function is no Google now, is it :D

• Like 1