Favorite Hidden Gems?

instantdeath999

Question

I just started playing Rocksmith customs, and was hooked from my very first song (in my case, Day Tripper by The Beatles). What was already one of the biggest time sinks I know of just became infinite, and I'm gonna have to be very careful from here on out not to fall into that hole.

All that said, one of my favorite things to do is discovering new music. There's so much music out there that your favorite song could be just right around the corner. As far as Rocksmith customs go, everyone knows about Stairway to Heaven, or Smells Like Teen Spirit, or any number of other enormously popular songs. What I'm curious about, however, are the songs that don't get thousands of downloads. What songs have you played that you think might be under appreciated? Whether it's because it's such a fun song to play, or it simply has a beautifully composed guitar track. Could be a song from a band that doesn't get as much attention as others, or could be a less popular song from a huge artist. If you had to name just a few Rocksmith customs that more people should check out- or perhaps a few bands that you wish more people would check out- what would they be?

This topic is partly self serving, as I'm looking for some interesting songs to play myself, aside from the super obvious, but still great ones that are legally required to play. I haven't had a chance to play them yet, but I really love playing Smiths songs in real life, and can only imagine they'll be incredibly fun in Rocksmith. Same for The Stone Roses.

3 answers to this question

Get yourself over here:

http://customsforge.com/forum/38-rocksmith-championship/

I started on about week 55 (we're now on 134), and I've been given a few little gems (some shite, as well mind ;) ). :)

• Like 1

I love Stone Roses and while (my version of) Good Times is one of my all time fav guitar tracks to play, I really find the rest of their stuff to be not very much fun in RS (including the official songs I bought).  Also, my custom of The Seahorses "Blinded By The Sun" is a fantastic guitar track.

My time playing Rocksmith and making customs has been an eye opener.  Music you love to listen to is not necessarily fun to actually play, and some stuff I would not normally choose to listen to is absolutely rocking to play.

I think it's more fun in Rocksmtih to play songs that are basically power chords, solo, power chords.  Jingly jangly stuff like the Smiths is really difficult to make sound nice in Rocksmith and score at the same time.  In my opinion anyway.

One of the biggest recommendations I can make is my Blaze customs.  I've never listened to Maiden by choice (Blaze was on of the singers then went off on his own) and I would never have listened to Blaze by choice in real life, but after I tried one of their customs I was hooked and basically made two albums worth of songs.  Although I love playing all of their stuff, one of my favs is Tearing Yourself Apart - it just sounds glorious in Rocksmith.

I would also recommend getting to know the names of the charters of the songs you play.  You can then filter the database by charter.  I think you will find in the long run that you prefer high quality customs over any other criteria (musical taste etc), and there are loads of great charters about that will cater for anything you want really.

Some other recommendations

- Download the toolkit and you can add DD to (almost) any custom, even if it does not come with DD originally

- Don't presume every custom will be perfect, far from it.  Some are not synced properly at all

- Set up a bank of your fav tones in 2, 3, 4.  If a custom does not have a tone you like, just apply your own tone and have fun

- You gotta try my "Gilmour's Greatest Solos" custom.  There are many other epic customs (like the full Les Mis), and you will get a taste of the possibilities of customs - they certainly ain't restricted to "one song per custom"

Enjoy :D

• Like 2