Getting off Rocksmith, and into the real world?

ajrocksmith

Okay, so I've been playing guitar/bass for 6 mos or so with the help of this amazing piece of software. Absolutely love it!! I can play along to many of my favorite songs, and learning them is a breeze. It feels like all is right with the rock and roll world!! 

Until a buddy comes over and wants to jam... 

I take a look at tabs and want to scream, they're upside down!!! And how do you know how long to hold notes for? And then what the heck is this business with a drummer?? People actually play drums in real life??? And they expect you to sync with them instead of the red and yellow buttons? AAAAHHH!!!

Okay, lots of people have learned with this program. My question is, how did you move past Rocksmith? Is there a good method to break off the streaming program and start reading music? I feel like I wanna stand on my head to read them right :P 

Also, how do you improvise? Most of the bass players I've seen playing live are able to jump into a song, find the groove, and add something to it without the need to look at tabs. How is this learned? 

I feel like there was something fundamental that was skipped when I pulled the bass out of the box and started playing songs. But what was it, and how do you go back and learn it without boring the living daylights out of yourself??

• Like 4

@

Hi Aj.

I will try to help as much as possible.

I always though that Rocksmith have more dangers than benefits but if you know how to handle it, it can be beneficial. Specially the part the you can learn songs a lot quicker. One thing is certain no one will ever be a musician if he only plays rocksmith. Rocksmith is a machine, you can hit 100% score and be an emotionless and boring player.

I'll try with my humble opinion give you some advices.

Train your ear - the most important thing if you want to be a serious musician

Start learning the minor pentatonic and jam with backing tracks on youtube. They usually have the key there and if they don't just play all the notes on the fretboard( only 12, no need to play all the octaves) and see witch one is the more pleasant with the backing track, that might be the key of the track. This is a very basic instruction, start with this a search for more.

Jam with your friend more times. With bass players. guitar players, drummers, If you want to be good, don't be a bedroom player. Jimi Hendrix was rubish when he started as well, we all were.

Very important focus more on rhythm than lead playing, good rhythm players get the gig. It's the riff that makes the songs not the solo. PS: I love solos. I am an 80s rock era lover, so I love solos.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Hope I helped

• Like 5

--

Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer - Click on the image below

Poison - Talk Dirty To Me - Click on the image below

Hx5WMkJm.jpg   5Uw4FEgm.jpg

Europe - The Final Countdown (Guitar cover): Click here to watch

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/NunoJBSilvaGuitar
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nunojbsilva.guitarist/
Fb profile: https://www.facebook.com/NunoJBSilva.Musician

I've been playing Rocksmith for 14 months, guitar and bass. After about 6 or 7 months I felt like I wasn't progressing with guitar, so I took a few lessons to learn the basics. That was a very humbling experience. Sure, I can play the riffs to some rock songs, but I couldn't transition from chord to chord or strum with any enthusiasm. Most of my guitar time is spent with an acoustic. I think you should learn from several different sources (Rocksmith, YouTube, lessons, DVDs), and take what you learn from one source and apply it to the others. Now, I just make up my own songs, and playing seems natural, easy, and much more rewarding than trying to copy somebody else. Just come up with some chords that sound good together, add some style with your strumming and hammer ons, and you have a song that is your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

@@NunoJBSilva.Guitarist's post is pretty spot on. Just wanted to add some things:

- Timing, timing, timing. Start playing with a metronome. If you are jamming with people, you want to always be in time. I think this is vey high up on the priority list. Like it was mentioned earlier, you can score high on rocksmith by hitting notes/chords even if it is not exactly in time. This wont fly in the real world.

- If you are playing chords and screw up, keep playing. Just try and not screw up on the actual beat where the chord changes :)

• Like 3

Okay, so I've been playing guitar/bass for 6 mos or so with the help of this amazing piece of software. Absolutely love it!! I can play along to many of my favorite songs, and learning them is a breeze. It feels like all is right with the rock and roll world!! 

Until a buddy comes over and wants to jam... 

First off, don't expect to be a great player after 6 months, specially depending on what you actually practiced. What did you mainly do during those 6 months? And was it the first time you did anything related to an instrument?

• Like 1

So..I assume there are several other people with this problem and I don't think there is any thread dedicated to this? I might put one up with some general guidance later on when I get time for it because I think RS really fails in the "teaching" part if you barely have any experience in music/playing.

• Like 1

The first reply says it all. Also learn the pentatonic in all positions AND the major and minor scales AND how they relate to each other and the modes. Once you learn that it will open up the fret board and how chords and licks and riffs work musically. Then start playing with other muicians and listen listen listen to what they are doing and you are doing. If it sounds bad, do something else, be adaptable, ask questions, play with people better then you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I try to supplement RS with music theory, scales, and jamming. Jamming with others is a great way to learn because they can help you improve on your weak points and give you new ideas for your own music. I recently had the opportunity to jam with a man named Ric Flauding, who you Megadeth fans may recognise as one of the guys who helped reteach Dave Mustaine how to play the guitar after his nerve injury. I usually ask him most of my questions since he works at the local college now. He does a lot of work doing arrangements and compositions for jazz bands for the college, as well as being an instructor.

My main problem is memory. As long as I can see the tabs and hear the drummer I'm good, but as soon as those tabs are gone I'm lost. I'm hoping this becomes less of an issue as my ear gets trained better and I get a better feel of where which notes are and how they relate to one another. Something I really wish they would do on RS instead of having the colored block come towards you is have the colored note come at you.

My Customs and DD's

Current Projects:

Suffocation

After some years with the game/program here´s what I think. First of all like I already mentioned before to other users 6 months isn´t a considerable amount of time,so you still need years to come.

Try to play and understand tabs outside RS, not to get deep into them is necessary but begin to be familiar with them and try to play easy song with guitar sites like you tube every now and then, even if, at first you don´t get a thing of it. If possible get classes from a real person, preferentially somebody who lives of playing at a band. And finally when the time comes it will say to you that you must cut the umbilical cord from RS. This procedure going to get ugly at first ,RS creates a dependency at watching the notes  in your monitor or tv, and is hard to quit all off suddenly.

Then you should realize that it´s easier to learn and practice watching directly the fretboard only reading tabs and no music,but the dependency to RS makes the learning curve more interesting and motivating but far less practical and when the time comes to get serious well looks like you haven´t learn a darn thing.

And this is what´s is happening to me,looks like the time to play seriously for me, have still a long road ahead to come. -_-

• 1 month later...

HI All,

Newbie here. New to CustomForge at any rate. After losing interest in playing, Rocksmith re-ignited my interest but I couldn't find all the songs I like on the standard RS list but discovered community and it's fantastic output!!

I have tried to find the answer to my question in the forum before posting so apologies if it is there and I've missed it...

I have started lessons with a professional teacher which is really helpful and introduces some rigor into my practice. We're using tabs but he's introducing me to reading the music score too, gradually. I am, however, finding it difficult to come out of Rocksmith and be able to play any of the tracks I've learnt from memory. With Rocksmith running in front of me I can follow the notetrack just fine (usually at <=75% speed!) but take that away am I can't remember a damn thing. I find playing to tabs seems to lodge in my memory a lot easier so, having learnt a song, coming out of Rocksmith and playing it from tab would really help.

So my question is:  Is there a tabs file for download for songs in the CDLC list that matches the note track? It would make my day if there was. Alternatively, is there a way of creating my own tab other than by freezing the Rocksmith notetrack every few notes and writing out what's on screen?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Tks

MaZtoR

Sorry to be a pain. but can't find how to do this...

When I go to the tab in the tool you pointed me at "CDLC to Tab" and click "convert" it comes up with an error. Clearly because I haven't told it which file to convert. But I can't figure out how to point the tool at the file I want to convert to tab.

Can you (or anyone else online) please help, again. Sorry.

Rgds

tks again.

As you've suggested, I updated the version I have using the updater. I think I have the latest version. Same issue. It seems to be saying it can't find the "RocksmithtoTabLib" file. I can't find that library file anywhere on my pc so I guess it's missing and not just a path problem.

Any ideas?

MaZtoR,

You cracked it for me - thanks for your patience and effort. I now seem to have a whole folder full of tab files that TuxGuitar can open and print.

I went to the source site you gave me. So, well done to Holger who wrote the code too.

Happy days.

Rgds