AcousticElectric?

needcdldyo

Question

I've started learning some time ago but got frustrated with the ridiculously slow progress so i put the guitar down and picked it back up when i got rocksmith. I've been playing around with it for two days and i'm starting to doubt whether this tool can actually teach me. I am using a Electro-Acoustic Yamaha guitar and everything the game teaches you seems to only be for the electric guitar. My question is, does RockSmith teach you how to play an acoustic guitar if you are using one?

10 answers to this question

• Administrator

The thing is that most of the song available in RS are played with electric guitar. But that doesn't mean you can't learn acoustic guitar with it.

There's some acoustic song that are on disc and in DLC, and looking at the 18k of CDLC, you'll probably find some that are played with acoustic gutiar too.

But acoustic guitar and electric guitar have a lot of common ground and technique so even songs played on electric guitar are playable on an acoustic guitar and arcade games are usable with acoustic guitar too.

Also learning is a complicated task and there's time where you gonna feel like you don't get better at all and it's normal, it's hard, but that's the case for everybody! You're not alone in this :)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

The thing is that most of the song available in RS are played with electric guitar. But that doesn't mean you can't learn acoustic guitar with it.

There's some acoustic song that are on disc and in DLC, and looking at the 18k of CDLC, you'll probably find some that are played with acoustic gutiar too.

But acoustic guitar and electric guitar have a lot of common ground and technique so even songs played on electric guitar are playable on an acoustic guitar and arcade games are usable with acoustic guitar too.

Also learning is a complicated task and there's time where you gonna feel like you don't get better at all and it's normal, it's hard, but that's the case for everybody! You're not alone in this :)

Thanks. I actually got Yousician now, practiced for an hour and a half and i feel myself getting a lot better. I just have an issue with changing frets. I play the Ducks Dux game on Guitarcade and i'm starting to remember the position of each fret but i need to learn a proper technique. So far what i do is i just use my middle finger and slide it from fret 3 to fret 9 and so on, but is that how it needs to be done, or should i use different fingers when switching frets?

• Administrator

i think it's better to getting used early of using all finger. if you have to go from 3 to 9, start with your index on the 3 then move to get your pinky on the 9, this way you avoid a lot of movement which makes you gain speed and can even make you work on stretching your finger a bit which is always usefull.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

i think it's better to getting used early of using all finger. if you have to go from 3 to 9, start with your index on the 3 then move to get your pinky on the 9, this way you avoid a lot of movement which makes you gain speed and can even make you work on stretching your finger a bit which is always usefull.

GOD. That sounds impossible, but of course it is :) I've been practicing for 5hrs today and i'm becoming a lot better but fretting is difficult since a lot of the time, the sounds become muted due to lack of technique. I am considering purchasing an Electric guitar, a very good for for 299gbp. Would you say that i will benefit if i play rocksmith with an electric guitar and then play yousician with acoustic-electric? Would learning acoustic and electric at the same time make things worse or better?

Thanks. I actually got Yousician now, practiced for an hour and a half and i feel myself getting a lot better. I just have an issue with changing frets. I play the Ducks Dux game on Guitarcade and i'm starting to remember the position of each fret but i need to learn a proper technique. So far what i do is i just use my middle finger and slide it from fret 3 to fret 9 and so on, but is that how it needs to be done, or should i use different fingers when switching frets?

if you have an iphone or ipad i suggest getting uberchord. i learned a lot using uberchord vs rocksmith or yousician. i warm up with 20 mins of uberchord before playing rocksmith. uberchord is free. p.s. its only in the app store under iphone but you can still search for it on ipad.

if you have an iphone or ipad i suggest getting uberchord. i learned a lot using uberchord vs rocksmith or yousician. i warm up with 20 mins of uberchord before playing rocksmith. uberchord is free. p.s. its only in the app store under iphone but you can still search for it on ipad.

Downloaded it for my Ipad. Il try it out tomorrow. Thanks!

Downloaded it for my Ipad. Il try it out tomorrow. Thanks!

it has a great built in tuner too! i have been playing rocksmith since the 2012 version, and i think i have learned more in the last month with uberchord when it comes to core fundamentals. i hope you stay inspired with playing guitar.

• Administrator

Electric and acoustic are complementary. The electric can be easier at first because of the width of the fretboard and the fret spacing being generally smaller compare to an acoustic but that also mean that going from electric to acoustic will be harder than the opposite.

Working on both shouldn't be worse than working with only one and most of what you will find out on one will be applicable on the other so some skill will transfer over.

Note that Rocksmith isn't made to make you learn music theory in general but more oriented to learn song on a guitar/bass and those are two very different thing. If you want to learn theory you can find multiple ressource online to help you there for free quite easily.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

It's a bit off-topic, but if you want a good practical vs theory practice, I suggest learning intervals on the guitar together with triads (basically the same thing). It's going to help you make more sense for how chords are constructed.

Also, if you learn a scale position (best to start with the major scale). Learn the positions by starting from different fingering positions. If you have the root on the 6th low E string, start practicing the scale from the root note with different fingers. If that makes sense.

As an example

http://live4guitar.com/img/content/articles/pedja_simovic/harmony_and_theory_part3/major_scale_patterns.jpg

If you practice position I. Start from the root with your pinky (so you basically play position V starting with your pinky on the root). Then you shift down and start on the root with your middle finger (playing position I), then shift down again and start on the root with your index finger (playing a combination of position I and position II). If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll give you a better picture with how the scales work if you do this. It's a very good excercice in my opinion to get used to using different fingers and connecting shapes.

To connect it to your slide. It will help you to play a scale after the slide from whatever finger you end up on the 9th fret and give you more freedom. I also recommend checking out http://chordacus.com/ for scales and chords

In addition to learning major scale patterns practice chromatic scales as well, they may seem easier for you to remember at first since its next finger next fret drop down a string and repeat. It helps build dexterity as well as finger strength.

Also in your practicing no matter acoustic electric or what your playing focus on technique.

If you feel you are missing something by using an acoustic with rs you really aren't if you can play one you can play the other. Playing acoustic first you will focus more on sound which is good, you will also not believe how good you'll sound playing wise when you switch from acoustic to electric. Many of the things you can't hide on acoustic you can hide playing electric.