Any tips to creating a CDLC that uses a slide guitar as Lead?

jhespada

Question

19 answers to this question

The main things that come to mind are:

1) For chord fingerings you'll only really have the first three fingers or the 4th barring everything, as the pinky is used for the slide. Shouldn't be a problem where the slide parts go for the whole song, but might be a problem if there's only a little bit of slide and you want to try to use other guitar parts to fill in some of the long gaps.

2) There will be lots of slide-ins and slide-outs, so you'll need to take your time to make sure you get those right, as slides often import badly from GP (usually because of poor or lazy GP authoring rather than anything wrong with GP import). I have a big post on fixing slides in EoF. Looking at the tab, you'll probably have to add lots of linknexts and also work on the timing of the slides some, especially the slides up a fret from quarter notes.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

The main things that come to mind are:

1) For chord fingerings you'll only really have the first three fingers or the 4th barring everything, as the pinky is used for the slide. Shouldn't be a problem where the slide parts go for the whole song, but might be a problem if there's only a little bit of slide and you want to try to use other guitar parts to fill in some of the long gaps.

2) There will be lots of slide-ins and slide-outs, so you'll need to take your time to make sure you get those right, as slides often import badly from GP (usually because of poor or lazy GP authoring rather than anything wrong with GP import). I have a big post on fixing slides in EoF. Looking at the tab, you'll probably have to add lots of linknexts and also work on the timing of the slides some, especially the slides up a fret from quarter notes.

Thanks. Sounds a bit much for me but I will check out your post and see what I can do.

You could have a play of this to see what I did

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/sister-morphine-r8997

I was thinking of making No Expectations but never got around to it.  If its the same as the GP tab I have then it looks real nice, but to make it nice in RS is a lot of work.

You have been doing well with your Rolling Stones CDLCs so keep at it man and go for it.  Remember it does not have to be perfect, and you can always come back later and update the custom.  You cannot learn all skills straight away, keep making customs and you pick up tricks here and there.

What I would look out for as a priority, though, are the slides in GP files

/7

7\

EoF will import these as 

6u7             (u means unpitched slide)

7u6

I would manually change them in EoF to

5/7

7u5

two fret differences usually make more sense when actually playing the guitar than 1 fret slides.

• Like 3

/7

7\

EoF will import these as 

7u6

5/7

7u5

should we ask @@raynebc to make this slides from last fhp\note used before this slide is done? or how gtp interpret this slides then, since he has some time this month tho.

It has been discussed in the EoF thread before and the conclusion is that the current way to import is the most practical.  There are too many parameters to account for i.e. 2 fret slides are not always the best option musically.  Sometimes, during guitar solos, far more than 2 frets are required for the appropriate effect.  It is best to leave it up to the charter to decide how to interpret them for the Rocksmith chart in question.

Plus, once you learn some EoF keyboard shortcuts and selection tricks (Shift+L) it's quite easy and fast to change a lot of the chart to your liking.

It really depends on the context of the chart/tabs you are working on.

You could have a play of this to see what I did

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/sister-morphine-r8997

I was thinking of making No Expectations but never got around to it.  If its the same as the GP tab I have then it looks real nice, but to make it nice in RS is a lot of work.

You have been doing well with your Rolling Stones CDLCs so keep at it man and go for it.  Remember it does not have to be perfect, and you can always come back later and update the custom.  You cannot learn all skills straight away, keep making customs and you pick up tricks here and there.

What I would look out for as a priority, though, are the slides in GP files

/7

7\

EoF will import these as 

7u6

5/7

7u5

two fret differences usually make more sense when actually playing the guitar than 1 fret slides.

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely give Sister Morphine a go and will attempt No Expecations.

If it gets too much for me I will keep it on the backburner until my EOF skills get better. 

If I feel confident in what I have I will put it out to you guys to test it out before I put it out to the masses.

Update - I had to clean up the tab a bit after it was imported into EOF but I have been testing it out in RS and I think I have a solid lead track.

If any of you can test it out with a slide, let me know and I will send you the files. I am not a slide player and had to use a flashlight as a slide to test - so it wasnt optimal to say the least.... :)

http://customsforge.com/topic/26273-rolling-stones-no-expectations-slide-guitar-test-needed/

@PC Plum @@albatross213