Video Lag with Rocksmith for PC

MJS888

Question

After learning about the CDLCs on this site, I purchased the PC version of Rocksmith 2014 and am thrilled to have gotten CDLCs to work with it.  However, I am experiencing quite severe lag problems.  [My PS3 version works perfectly, but my PS3 is not a type that can be modded to play CDLCs.]   The problem is that the video display for songs lags far behind the audio.   This video lag problem occurs with songs that came with the program as well as with CDLCs.

The problem is not with my amplification setup, because it still occurs when I just plug headphones into the computer.   I am using a Gateway Laptop running Windows 10 with an Intel i5-2450M processor, which is quite a bit more powerful than the CPU that UBISOFT recommends.  Is it possible that my laptop's "Intel HD Graphics 3000" is inadequate?  [it works with video editing software.]   I've noticed that when I play songs at 100% speed in the Riff Repeater, the lag is much reduced compared to "Learn a Song" mode, and the lag becomes unnoticeable (or nonexistent) at 90% or less speed.    Does playing a song in "Learn a Song" mode use more computer resources than playing the same song in the "Riff Repeater?"  

I found some online recommendations for "lag" issues, but to the extent that they define the nature of the lag issue, they seem to pertain to the problem of audio lagging behind video or lagging behind the actual playing of notes on the guitar, which is not my issue.  Finally, it is not clear whether any of the recommendations pertain to lag issues which are not always present.   Nevertheless, I tried removing the D3DX9_42.dll file after reading it may cause "lag", but this made no difference (other than disabling the CDLC songs).  

Any ideas how I may fix this problem?

5 answers to this question

• Administrator

This is most likely your video card that can't handle a proper 30FPS. Get into the graphic area and get rid of most of the option to avoid charging the GPU with unwanted processing.

Any GPU is capable of managing a video editing software, but the more power the GPU have the faster it render a video.

The fact that the lag is less important in riff repeater is because most video effect are deactivate reducing the GPU charge needed.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

This is most likely your video card that can't handle a proper 30FPS. Get into the graphic area and get rid of most of the option to avoid charging the GPU with unwanted processing.

Any GPU is capable of managing a video editing software, but the more power the GPU have the faster it render a video.

The fact that the lag is less important in riff repeater is because most video effect are deactivate reducing the GPU charge needed.

I stumbled upon the solution just before reading your response.   I went into Rocksmith's advanced video settings and disabled everything.  It seems to be working fine now!   

Perhaps I'll try re-enabling some features one by one to see what my computer can handle...but I don't care that much right now.   :)

Regards,

MJS

I spoke too soon about Rocksmith working properly after I disabled the advanced video settings.  Now, the video is usually unsteady (progressing in spurts) and sometimes runs AHEAD of the audio (especially in the riff repeater).  I was also irritated when the notes in the video began fading away and disappearing...until I realized this was due to "Mastery Mode."  Guess I'm getting better!

The audio has remained steady and in sync with my guitar playing.  However, Rocksmith for PC sometimes pretends that it can't hear my guitar, claiming its output is too low.  When this happens, it is nearly impossible to use the Rocksmith tuner.  However, I can still hear my guitar amplified as loud as normal.  After I finish playing each song, however, Rocksmith announces "Bad Performance." :)  I find this less annoying than when the program is working normally and announces "Great Performance" when I know my playing sucked.  [The program normally gives me credit for every note I hit, and many notes that I miss.]

I tried re-enabling a couple of the advanced video features to see if it would help, but I did notice a change.   Anyone having better luck running Rocksmith on a laptop?

Yes I have successfully ran it on several..."outdated" and slow laptops ;)  FIRST turn off any unnecessary programs running in the background of your PC including "background or hidden" then start RS, turn off all unnecessary video options (yes including  the "crowd" portal) and try it, and it also sounded like you might need to "recalibrate" your guitar perhaps, turn your volume on your guitar down ever so slightly when you do this process (this wont help with the lag issue but may help with note recognition).....then when completed turn your guitar volume back to max to play (as usual) and give that a shot.

hope this helps

cheers

• Like 2

Yes I have successfully ran it on several..."outdated" and slow laptops  ;)  FIRST turn off any unnecessary programs running in the background of your PC including "background or hidden" then start RS, turn off all unnecessary video options (yes including  the "crowd" portal) and try it, and it also sounded like you might need to "recalibrate" your guitar perhaps, turn your volume on your guitar down ever so slightly when you do this process (this wont help with the lag issue but may help with note recognition).....then when completed turn your guitar volume back to max to play (as usual) and give that a shot.

hope this helps

cheers

Thanks, I'll try closing other programs.   As for calibrating my guitar, that is when Rocksmith complains that the output is too low and I should just close the program and get my guitar fixed!   :rolleyes:

By the way, your idea about turning down the volume a bit when calibrating is something I did with the idea of making my guitar louder than the music while playing.  Perhaps this is one reason Rocksmith (when not pretending it can't hear my guitar) tends to give me credit for hitting notes that are one fret or one string removed from the correct note!   I will try maxing out the volume when calibrating in hope of improving note recognition.