EoF Note Sync Different from Rocksmith

Gamut

Question

So I've put together 3 files now. Thought I was ready to release a fourth, but I've run into a weird problem.

When I'm in EoF, the notes are synced perfectly. But when I package the files and put them in Rocksmith... the note sync moves. And not just a small nudge - the entire file is several beats too early. :sob:

Why is this happening? How can I get Rocksmith to match what I'm seeing in EoF?

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

8 answers to this question

Usually this is because the chart audio EOF has doesn't reflect the audio you're using with the Rocksmith toolkit. This mostly happens when somebody adds leading silence, but uses old audio files instead of the new WAV file EOF creates during the next save (unless this has been disabled in user preferences).

@@raynebc, is there any benefits using single prectision values(6 places) instead of 3 dec. places? I'm seeing offbeats sometimes, even if notes was perfectly set at eof, SNG uses float type for time variable...

Usually this is because the chart audio EOF has doesn't reflect the audio you're using with the Rocksmith toolkit. This mostly happens when somebody adds leading silence, but uses old audio files instead of the new WAV file EOF creates during the next save (unless this has been disabled in user preferences).

This might have been it. I reconverted the audio and got first beat moved around and now we're all good. Thanks!

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

@@raynebc, is there any benefits using single prectision values(6 places) instead of 3 dec. places? I'm seeing offbeats sometimes, even if notes was perfectly set at eof, SNG uses float type for time variable...

Are you referring to the Beat>BPM change dialog? Internally, EOF stores beats with double floating point precision and stores text representations of these in the project file to avoid as much precision change as possible. Conversion to single precision float for use in-game shouldn't cause enough precision loss to be very noticeable.

@@raynebc -

I'm not sure if this is exactly what @@Alex360 is talking about, but I've noticed that in many of my projects some notes (somewhat randomly, but usually later in songs, with later notes often moving more) move a little bit off beat. I'm not sure exactly how or when it's happening, as I'm pretty careful to keep notes snapped while I'm syncing and undo-ing anything that I accidentally do that leaves them in the wrong place, and I think I'd notice it while I'm syncing. It's not every note after a certain position, but just some notes here and there. For my last few customs once synced I've tried to do everything from importing the tracks through all of the polishing in one go and don't remember seeing any problems with it. My guess would be it has something to do with how EoF reloads things when I open up a previously saved project, but I don't really have any good evidence for that beyond not being sure what else it could be.

Re-snapping isn't always easy because of different note durations (triplets are especially common, but in some solos you get 5-tuplets and such), so if I use a fine enough grid snap to work for everything it often gets too fine to move things back to the right place. FHP also complicate things, since they seem to get off-beat with the notes (possibly because they were generated after the notes got off beat, but I think I'd notice that when I was going through and get the notes back on beat before generating FHP), but don't subsequently re-snap with the notes, which basically requires re-doing all the FHP stuff to fix.

That was pretty rambly. Hopefully it's not too hard to get through.

• Like 2

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

If anybody can reproduce such an effect, let me know.

I can't reproduce things at the moment, but I have some customs I've made where I've taken screenshots of how things look right now in EoF (one of them I hadn't made FHP for). Here's a gallery showing how it looks at a few different places in two songs. In some of them (for example the third) you have one note that's "off beat" despite all of the ones around them being on beat and no tempo changes or anything around them.

While I was thinking about this, I also remembered another thing I noticed with FHP sometimes, which was that occasionally the timing for an FHP would move 1 millisecond after the note, sometimes causing FHP problems with the note being below the current FHP. Not 100% sure it's related, but it seems like it could be.

Another thought for how they'd come to be would be from making it with one version of EoF, then revisiting it with an updated version of it, but again that's an educated guess with me not being sure what other things it could be.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!