What Setup Do You Have For Listening To Rocksmith

Mostly Rancid

Question

I'm going to upgrade my setup so I get better\louder  soud from Rocksmith.

I not sure wether to get a dedicated PC surroud soud unit or a decent hifi amp & speakers and using the line out socket on my PC , or maybe an amp with spdif input.

What setup do you have ? Can you reccomend a surroud sound uit ,  amp or type of setup that sounds good. I'm currently using crappy moitor speakers.

5 answers to this question

THX certified system are great for computer speakers.

as for hifi system the best way is to LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY or at least read some tests on the web.

---------------------------------------

the hifi phylosophy is totally different from a guitar or bass amp,

the guitar or bass amp is dedicated (the frequency range (in Hz) is usually limited to the guitar / bass).

While a Hifi is supposed to render all the sounds a human hear can hear (from very high 20/40Khz to very low20/40 Hz) if it's a good hifi system without any differences.

With a guitar or bass amp, The differences you add or remove create your sound.

With a hifi system you can reproduce/render any kind of a guitar or bass amp sound while it's impossible to render all the hifi frequency range with a guitar or bass amp.

The decibels (dB) a system can restitue is important too, it's as important as the power value (watts), it represent the felt power.

This parameter is true in both a guitar or bass amp & hiifi.

The decibels is what makes a 10w guitar or bass amp feels more powerfull than a 20w one.

(the only trusted watt value is given in Watts RMS (as watts Max is at least the half of the RMS value, it's a commercial catcher, as this value represent the maximum power the system can produce without any consideration for quality (crappiest song the system can produce before beeing destroyed).

in hifi the more you push the volume (after 4/5e of your system max volume), the less the rendered sound is pure & goes worst & worst (hifi saturation).

--------------------------------------------

With hifi to enhance the Stereo effect i recommend to enlarge the distance between the speakers, this will give you a far better effect.

With the speakers turned towards you (because the high & middle frequencies are directives).(while a subwoofer can be hidden anywhere else in the same piece.

-------------------------------------------

To test the system before bying i used a CD or .Flac or .Wav (not .MP3).

To test the  middle frequencies/rendering:

The pure voice of Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam /Chris Martin - Coldplay /Amy Wynehouse or Evanescence Voice + Piano + Metal sound.

Techno/acid trance For the serious Bass & High frequencies.

--------------------------------------------

I've got one old Yamaha RX-V 595RDS 5.1 system

20-20 kHz - 96Db - 0.04% THD 70WRMSx5

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-v595_black__u/http://www.fein-hifi.de/images/product_images/original_images/348_0_rx_v595a.jpg

Front:2x olds Davis Val de Marne SII:

95dB - 100W RMS - 40-22Khz?http://muzah.free.fr/hifi/davis/davisValDeMarne.jpg

Back: 2x Cabasse ENC 1200 :

69-22Khz - 75W RMS - 91dBhttp://img2.leboncoin.fr/images/b56/b5667c3580106900819d706704359c4bffd5747c.jpg

I'm not using the 5.1 function, i use 2x2 instead.

as those Davis are punchy on Low & mids & the Cabasse are very clean/subtil on high & mids.

• Like 3

Be sure to check tests on the web as there was some changes in the Yamaha philosophy too since i bough everything.

2nd hand is a good idea, if you've got the possibility it may be a better choice to buy it in a pawn shop or something similar (it's easier to return it in case of problems, maybe not as easy with Ebay).

Be sure to check tests on the web as there was some changes in the Yamaha philosophy too since i bough everything.

2nd hand is a good idea, if you've got the possibility it may be a better choice to buy it in a pawn shop or something similar (it's easier to return it in case of problems, maybe not as easy with Ebay).

Since moving to the country , 2nd hand shops are thin on the ground but thanks for the advice

Keep in mind what you do could impact the latency, any processing done by a sound system other than passive speakers will increase the latency.

Typically I run mine through headphones, it's plenty loud and I can play in my apartment any hour of day or night and not disturb my neighbors or family.

The correct answer is as someone said, "try before you buy". What sounds best to you.

• Like 1