Did rocksmith teach anyone here how to play guitar?

Sid

Question

I'm slowly playing rocksmith to learn guitar, I didn't actually expect it to work (I've had teachers in the past and I always disliked them) I met a guy recently who said I can go up to his and he'll teach me, he's 20 years older but has a lot of experience and can play a LOT.

My girlfriend is learning Bass and my cousin is a drummer.. we're hoping to form a band sometime next year, I know it's highly unlikely but I was curious, I'm so excited and love playing so much.. If I play rocksmith and get some lessons on the side from this dude (maybe once a week) do you think I'll be able to write my own music within 1 - 2 years?

not sure if this is predominantly rocksmith but I'm sure the majority of you didn't just learn it to get high scores on rocksmith, anyone join a band or do any solo-music work thanks to this game? It's really motivated me a long with this band. 

• Like 1

Also using Audacity to record your sound input while you use a Recording of a previous RS performance for timing / notes... It'll have no effects though unless you have pedals...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

when I first bought Rocksmith when it first came out I had already been playing for a year but thanks too rocksmith I have improved loads I learnt how too play lead guitar and my favourite guitar solos through Rocksmith. Rocksmith is a great educational and fun tool too me I could spend a whole day on Rocksmith if i had the time for it.

so if theres anyone who is still reading this topic and is thinking about getting rocksmith too teach them how too play the guitar then go for it.

• Administrator

@@med521 So practicing the lesson track isn't like working on a specific technique? And what about the minigame regarding a specific technique, it isn't practice? I mean no offense here but the way you seems to claim that there's no practice possible via RS seems incredibly out of touch with what RS offers overall.

Note that i'm not saying the lessons are perfect either and it doesn't mean that there's no better way to practice at all but saying you can't practice with RS seems a bit weird to they the least.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

So I have been playing RS for 6 years or so now. And It is a good way to get started. Unfortunately I am not very good because of RS. Like many people say it is just a moving tab and it's more a game than a teaching tool.

Not too long ago, I was asked by a band to start playing bass, because they just could not find anyone. So they were like; this guy can kinda handle a guitar maybe it will work out. What I learnt with the band has made me progress more in the 10 months since than I have in all the years previously playing rocksmith. RS is nice to get a good feeling for the neck of the guitar, some understanding of various techniques like bending and some chords. But, the most important thing is missing: learning to listen.

When I used to play the songs I knew, I was overthinking things. Basicly trying to play by visual. You know, 5,7,5 mute this chord that. But that just doesn't work. You need to know the sound of the next note not the visual of the position. I started learning some theory, like knowing each note's name on the fretboard, scales and rootnotes that kinda basic stuff. Then I just started messing around with it. Improvise a little, experiment. Look at songs and discern their structure. And more than anything, listening to what I play not looking. You have to like what you're hearing to get better. And you need to be in the beat to feel a riff come.

So my advise, apart from getting a teacher, (which I have never done) is basicly to really listen. Let the music come, don't make it. Also, doing magic mushrooms and playing guitar is eye opening. But that's not for everyone.

Hope this helps

I definitely think RockSmith is worth it. RockSmith costs one price.. guitar lessons cost money every 30 minute session. My first night with RockSmith I was playing The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop in it's entirety. Granted it's only chords, I was very happy with that. I've since moved on to playing other songs with Chords that I like.. namely Misfits and stuff like that. A little Deftones. Hatebreed. Metallica.

I've had lessons in the past a little. The problem wasn't so much the money for me. It was finding an instructor who can teach me songs I like. With RockSmith you can choose to play only things you are into. My guitar instructor? One was into blues and I was totally uninterested. 

The riff repeater is great. You can slow things down and then speed them up.

My only negative thing to say about RockSmith? It won't work on computers with dual monitors. I refuse to move my full tower computer (heavy) or even try to reach around my desk and unplug a monitor. It's just not doable for me. I'm the type of person that plays RockSmith say for 20 minutes, then goes to play a game, then goes to surf the web or watch a TV show, then back to RockSmith. My computer is the only source of entertainment in my house (besides a cell phone). It's unrealistic that tech supports wants me to unplug the monitor every time.

I also don't want all that strain on my cable and the port in my PC of plugging and unplugging it like 10 or 20 times a day.

I responded to your thread.. I do EXACTLY what you're saying you wish you could.   This game will work on 5 monitors.. But you better have one hell of a set up to run separate games on one system if that's what you mean lol.  I run the game on a 46 inch TV I use as my monitor.. I have a cheap usb 2.0 hub I bought from walmart for like 10 bucks.. That was so I had enough USB ports.  Basically here's what i play RS on, while also doing exactly what you're implying you wish you could do..   I use a Surface Pro Tablet to run RS.  I run the game in Window mode because I to like to browse, and quit, and browse, or do whatever the hell my add ass is thinking about....   like this one time i saw a SQUIRREL!!!1   J\k lol..  Anyway I bought an HDMI converter cable at Best buy that connects my tablet into my TV just as you probably do with VGA cables from your desktop to your monitors!  That's it!  There's nothing crazy about it....  I do have a 7.1 surround sound turtle beach headset adapater that I bought for my X32 wireless headset for Xbox 360 and Xbox one..  But you can use it on any device as long as it has an aux port..  Anyway after that I run a subwoofer, two pc speakers, and when i'm really wanting to jam the **** out i connect my 400 dollar portable bose speaker to the adapater as well with a Y aux splitter cable and turn the sound up really ****ing loud lol.  That only happens when im feeling confident in my playing that particular day... anyway... if you're wanting to run the game, and browse facebook, and play a youtube video all at the same time, you can forget about it!  That's going to slowdown any computer.. you can browse the web and play at the same time though... it's easy.. another thing too.. have you bothered going into your rocksmith main folder and clicking on the configureation file?  It's a break down of how to set up your visuals, or your audio for the best possible set up.. Start there and lower your resolution or turn off all your other extra visuals.. You cant tell a damn ddifference when playing...  I also run the game in window mode because for whatever reason if say I hit my windows key on my keyboard to bring me back to my desktop itll  interrupt the game and do it.. but after i click back on RS to maximize the game, the screen is solid white and i have to ctrl alt delete and close RS..  But another thing that helps is even if say you put it on some shitty low resolution in window mode for example.  You can drag the RS window to the center of your tv, then on your tv select wide, or zoomed on the TV itselp and you can basically run the game as if it were on fullscreen but you're technically just zoomed in on the TV ;)  Goodluck!  Go fidget around with the contorls and check out that configuration file in your RS folder!

I read a lot of what was mentioned here, but not all of it.

The way I see it is this.. If you can play along with 100 songs on Rocksmith.. odds are.. you can play the guitar.  If you know it or not..that is a different story.  But, if you find a chord pattern in a song you like.. then take a strum pattern from a different song... add a few touches of things you personally like.. Guess what?!  You just made a song.  You don't NEED to know music theory, you don't NEED to know scales.  If you have ears, and a good sense of music then you can play the guitar just based upon playing along with Rocksmith.  If you are not musically inclined, and you are one that will have to work for it.. then yes.  You may need support in music theory and the likes. 

BUT.. even if you know every bit of music theory and the likes, without practice it means nothing.  Just because you know exactly how something is played, doesn't mean that you are physically able to play it.. hence Rocksmith can teach you to play and create your own stuff.  Just a matter of if you have the ear and creativity for it.

• Like 1

I can definte say that RS can learn you to play ....To some extent at least. I'm 64 years old and have tried at 3 occations since my teens to learn  how to play the guitar and failed miserably! I simply can't read this up from books. But about 7 months ago I stumbled over Rocksmith 2014 at YouTube and decided to give it a try. So I bought it and a cheapo but decent Epiphone, electric guitar.

( I have 3 guitars and a short scale bass now ). :D

Now, after have played for an hour every day, I can say that I definite have done some progress.

But a couple of weeks ago, I started to feel that I needed another "teacher" as compliment to RS. So I headed over to justin guitar.com

And now, I feel I get all the help I need when learning how to play.

Rocksmith are good in many ways, but can't teach you everything. And it have some minor flaws.

1. The progession are sometimes a bit too fast  for a beginner, when RS thinks you are better than you actually are and ramps up the difficulty over your head.

Luckily, the Riff Repeater can fix that though. And you also have Score Attack.

2. You must keep track on by yourself that you actually are playing clean notes! If you just trust what  the program says about your playing? You may soon have picked up some bad habits, that will be the pits to get rid of.

3. This is my personal point of view about the arcade games:

Most of them aren't that useful. With the exception of String skip saloon, Ducks Redux and Ninja slide. They helped me a lot in the beginning and I still play them as a warm up.

As for learning scales? You are better off praticing them in the Session mode, than running the Scale Racer game. And as for chords, I think that justinguitar.com is a great place to learn this.

4. I just wish there where more slow or slower and easy songs to learn in the original game. As a beginner, it's  hard to try to keep up in a Metal, Grunge or an Indie song wich there are quite many of in this game. But likely, UBISoft had youngsters in mind first hand and not old geezers like me when they made this program / game :)  But luckily, this great forum exist where one can find ones favourite, slower and easier songs.

But despite this, RS is a very nice learning tool, that keep you motivated all the time. I just wish that this program / game and to days computers had been availiable some 40 years ago. I might have been a Richie Blackmore Jr. then by now. :D