Thrash metal palm-muting

Anyone have any tips on getting better at this? I find it really hard when playing stuff like Metallica when you have to alternate pick a palm-mute very fast then strike a non-muted chord and then back up to the mutes.

Do you generally move you palm back or upwards off the strings to release mute?

Hey,

it is hard to give decent advice from a far but a good advice always is to  just go slow. Take a Metallica riff for instance and play it apart from RS, go very slow and try to make it sound clean. After you nailed it or got better increasing speed should not be a problem...

There is no secret or tip that makes you better. Find your sweetspot on the bridge and the best grip for you on the pick. Then practise...

I think I move my palm up

Cheers

• Like 1

Yep, what they said, ALSO -----------------ALWAYS USE A METRONOME...... Even the pros do daily time practice with a metronome..

http://simple.bestmetronome.com/ <--- a little wind up key on the side to start it.... set your speed practice slowly with it....

It's also sort of like drumming and piano playing, coordination, timing and hitting the target spot accurately.See what it is you need to do, and go very slowly at first to ge the feel and maintain the accuracy, don't try to do it tempo.when learning new music on any instrument, first and foremost is go as slow as it takes to do it right, and do it over and over, never try to do it fast, speed will come with accuracy.next, you sit and watch tv while you practice it, and try to talk while you practice, this will help free you from intense concentration to just play, and your playing will become automatic.....

Tools to learn with;Guitar Pro 6  1st choice. You can do more with more control in guitar pro for guitar than any other program.

Guitar Pro 5  2nd This one is better for beginners, the ability to set the speed without it getting faster each time it plays.

TuxGuitar   3rd  FREE  it loads gp5 files but handles them a little differently, you have to re-adjust the lyrics. & other minor details.

Rocksmith 4th  ONLY when using Riff Repeater, and only if the custom has been set up for it, and ALWAYS crank the difficulty to full 100% and speed down slow, and just master 1 section at a time. Listen to what is playing and to what you are playing, get to where you can play it by listening instead of watching before you crank the speed up,

for piano mainly, but they do midi, with speed control so you can follow with guitar, (good to have both of these)

Synthesia 9  FREE

Musescore FREE

older tools,

Table Edit

TabPro

JAM  (chords and lyrics only)

Hydrogen is nice drum looping program, quickly set up a pattern to jam with. You can download loops, or song files or make your own.

Enjoy...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not fast at all yet, but I am improving.  My suggestion is to pick lower on the guitar where the strings have less room to flex, so the pick "bounces" off of them rather than get "stuck."  Since I am a rookie, I could be speaking BS, but it helped me.

• 2 weeks later...

When i play riffs with muted/unmuted note sequences, i LIFT my palm slightly off the strings and place it back on, i don't move my hand back.

Pick a fast song, open riff repeater and choose the fast riff part, slow it down to like 50% and practice that for a good 30 mins. The next day, bump the speed up to 53% and repeat. Keep doing the same thing everyday whilst bumping up the speed a few % at a time. You may reach around 90-95% and feel like you've hit a brick wall, in which case just keep playing the same sequence at 90-95% for a few more days, and try bumping it up 1% at a time. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1