This is a huge genre, so I'll be sure to miss some bands. To start with, I'm just going to post some of the bands that have highly rated albums on progarchives and rateyourmusic. If there are any that you feel deserve to be here, let me know and I'll update the list. If you have any suggestions on how to group things, they'd be appreciated. 

Also, if you update any progressive rock CDLC, it might make sense to link to this post so users can more easily find other prog rock that isn't on the front page.

Notable charters

@@Liquidlizard, @@dreddfoxx, @@Aludog, @@bernixix, @@solservo, @@RufusDelta, @@BHMath, @@albatross213, @@Deratio, @@icaroonofre, @@PC Plum, @@Sharris, @@joe21121, @@TheBestAlex...

The band list:

Anathema (2 songs)

The Aristocrats (3 songs, lead only)

Camel (2 songs)

Chris Squire (1 song)

Electric Light Orchestra (8 songs)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (6 songs, Ignition seems to glitch out trying to link to them. Perhaps the "&" is causing problems?)

Frank Zappa (9 songs)

Focus (2 songs, with one official)

Frost* (2 song)

Gazpacho (1 song)

Genesis (18 songs)

Gentle Giant (6 songs)

Guthrie Govan (4 songs)

Jethro Tull (16 songs)

Kansas (4 songs)

Kate Bush (5 songs)

King Crimson (5 songs)

Magma (1 song)

Manfred Mann's Earth Band (1 song)

Marillion (4 songs)

The Mars Volta (7 songs)

Mike Oldfield (4 songs)

The Moody Blues (1 song)

Neal Morse (1 song)

Opeth (6 on Damnation, 6 on Heritage, 4 on Pale Communion)

Ozric Tentacles (2 songs, both bass only)

Pink Floyd (74 songs)

Peter Gabriel (2 songs)

Porcupine Tree (12 songs)

Procol Harum (1 song)

Riverside (14 songs)

Rush (112 songs)

Steven Wilson (7 songs)

Supertramp (8 songs)

Traffic (1 song)

Tricot (1 song)

Uriah Heep (7 songs)

Van der Graaf Generator (2 songs)

Wishbone Ash (3 songs)

Yes (16 songs)

Charter Inspiration List (a.k.a. bands that have tabs that we should have more of)

Al di Meola (30+ tabs)

Anathema (30+ tabs)

Anglagard (7 tabs)

Arena (3 tabs)

Beardfish (5 tabs)

Caravan (7 tabs)

Camel (34 tabs)

Can (7 tabs)

Cardiacs (13 tabs)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (25+ tabs)

Eloy (2 tabs)

Frank Zappa (50+ tabs)

Focus (14 tabs)

The Gathering (14 tabs)

Genesis (50+ tabs)

Gentle Giant (25 tabs)

Goblin (5 tabs)

Invisible (2 tabs, plus lots of text tabs)

Kansas (13 tabs)

Kate Bush (15 songs)

King Crimson (50+ tabs)

Le Orme (4 tabs)

Mahavishnu Orchestra (13 tabs)

Marillion (~25 tabs)

Mike Oldfield (30+ tabs)

Motorpsycho (2 tabs)

Neal Morse (13 tabs)

The Moody Blues (~15 tabs)

Pat Metheny (30+ tabs)

Premiata Forneria Marconi (5 tabs)

Phideaux (4 tabs)

Phoenix (13 tabs)

Soft Machine (4 tabs)

Spock's Beard (12 tabs)

Steve Hackett (~20 tabs)

Steve Howe (~20 tabs)

T2 (3 songs)

Traffic (5 tabs)

Transatlantic (2 tabs)

Wishbone Ash (13 songs)

Any bands that I missed? Any bands that you'd like to see that have GP or PowerTab files available but don't have songs on here?

Edit: Added a new section for bands that I think we should and could have more of (provided the tabs don't suck).

Edited by albatross213
  • Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Thanks for the list. This was long overdue. Just goes to show how much is still missing from some of the best progressive rock bands. Hard to believe, for example, that there are no Kansas tracks apart from the official ones or even worse, that Frank Zappa has barely been touched even though his oeuvre is so massive and tabs are readily available. Also, where's Caravan? and what about more Camel?

I really gotta do it all by myself, don't I? :lol:

• Like 2

@@Aludog - Yeah, it was a little bit surprising how little we have of some of the biggest bands. Obviously with progressive rock some songs are worth much more than others and you often need pretty good tabs and skills to get a decent sync, but it's still surprising how little there are from some. Could have made a whole other list of things that I originally wrote in to the list only to realize we didn't have any songs of theirs on here. No Caravan, no Can, little Camel, and that's just the C's!

• Like 1

Edited the original post with a section that lists some of the bands that seem under-represented on here. The links go to UG, either the overall, power, or pro tabs section, depending on which has the bulk of the tabs and whether things get too diluted by text tabs. I hope this gives some of our magna charters ideas for new things to work on.

• Like 1

Another awesome addition, @@albatross213. Thanks.

Regarding Gentle Giant, I would also recommend blazemonger.com which is an awesome fan site that also has a lot of midi files and text tabs: http://www.blazemonger.com/GG/Music_and_MIDI_files.

You also reminded me that I tried my hands on Beardfish's "South Of The Border" a long time ago but had trouble with the guitar parts and didn't continue. I also remember that the bass part wasn't always spot on, so I would have needed to correct a lot. I think I'll work on it again some time but I also want to transcribe "Sleeping in Traffic" sooner or later. To make it short: Beardfish is on my list for sure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another good progressive rock band was Renaissance.   Songs worth a listen include:  Ashes are Burning; Carpet of the Sun; The Vultures Fly High; Ocean Gypsy; Can you understand?  

Totally agree. I've been wanting to do some Renaissance for a long time but I need to transcribe some first because tabs are practically non-existent.

• Like 2

Yeah, the fact that they have only one GP (and it's apparently total crap) is why I didn't put Renaissance in the inspiration list though they're deserving of a place. Decent amount of text tabs, but it's unfair to expect anything to happen without GP files.

Yeah, the fact that they have only one GP (and it's apparently total crap) is why I didn't put Renaissance in the inspiration list though they're deserving of a place. Decent amount of text tabs, but it's unfair to expect anything to happen without GP files.

I think it's a good idea to post this link to a useful site with Renaissance midi and text tabs I found a long time ago: http://www.jtl.us/nlightsweb/lib/music.htm

It might help some, who are interested in working on Renaissance, to get started.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this index, very useful!! 

I know that the definition of what Prog Rock could be is too personal. I wouldn't place Mars Volta in this list though (I would say it is post-hardcore, if this is in I would add Tool as well), I would also include Billy Cobham (got 2 songs - although someone might argue that it is more like a fusion-jazz style), Cream and Taste (again they may be classic rock or fusion).