Afrobeat/Highlife

Aludog

The following is a list of customs that I consider to be in the genres of Afrobeat, a term coined by nigerian musician Fela Kuti who's music I cover extensively with my own customs, and Highlife, a genre that was developed in Ghana and combines, similar to Afrobeat, traditional african music with western music. Both genre's are closely related to each other, so it's not always easy to tell them apart. I won't try to draw a distinction between both, mainly because I'm not an expert on the matter and it's handier to cover both in a single thread anyway. Both genre's are mainly centered around Ghana and Nigeria and therefore most famous artists of these particular genres come from those two countries. Through the relation with western music though there's also quite a few western musicians who have been influenced by Afrobeat/Highlife and have started making music in a similar vein, so those had an impact on popularizing the genres as well and should therefore be covered in this thread.

I already have a special discography project for Fela Kuti, so in this thread I will only cover customs that are from other artists (of which there aren't many yet available for RS).

Artists (in alphabetical order):

Fela Kuti - see Fela Kuti Discography Project

Hugh Masekela - You Told Your Mama Not To Come

Hugh Masekela & Hedzoleh Soundz - Kaa Ye Oya

Hugh Masekela & The Union Of South Africa - Dyambo

• Like 1