Progressive Metal

albatross213

I'll just be starting this thread for progressive metal for the moment. Again, this is a pretty expansive genre, so I'll try to stick to one link per band. It will be incomplete for a while.

I'm not entirely sure how to organize this. At the topmost level it probably makes sense to do some sort of division between clean vocals and mixed/harsh vocals, but it might make sense to subdivide those as well. Thoughts?

Notable charters

@@Fyres, @@Nacholede, @@Shinyditto12, @@cdeath, @@albatross213, @@Ki113r94, @@Brooklyn_Sounds, @@bernixix, @@Jansku79, @@rummhamm87, ...

Clean Vocals

Ayreon (20 songs)

Demetori (10 songs)

Dorje (2 songs)

Dream Theater (88 songs)

Evergrey (4 songs)

Fates Warning (2 songs)

Galneryus (7 songs)

Ghost (30 songs)

Haken (14 songs)

Pagan's Mind (2 songs)

Queensryche (19 songs)

Riverside (14 songs)

Secret Sphere (2 songs)

Seventh Wonder (11 songs)

Shadow Gallery (2 songs)

Symphony X (52 songs)

Tool (44 songs)

Voivod (5 songs)

Mixed/Harsh Vocals

Amorphis (28 songs)

Atheist (2 songs)

Between the Buried and Me (36 songs)

Communic (2 songs)

Cynic (5 songs)

Dan Swano (8 songs)

Death (35 songs)

Devin Townsend (47 songs)

Disillusion (2 songs)

Edge of Sanity (2 songs)

The Faceless (9 songs)

Into Eternity (3 songs)

Intronaut (3 songs, two are 5-string bass only)

Leprous (1 song)

Mastodon (52 songs)

Meshuggah (5 songs)

Native Construct (6 songs, some bass only)

Ne Obliviscaris (7 songs)

The Ocean (2 songs)

Opeth (42 songs. Songs from Damnation, Heritage, and Pale Communion are clean)

Periphery (18 songs)

Sigh (1 song)

Tesseract (3 songs)

Veil of Maya (16 songs)

Instrumental

Animals as Leaders (1 song)

Angel Vivaldi (3 songs)

Blotted Science (6 songs)

Conquering Dystopia (1 song)

Intervals (12 songs, instrumental except for songs from A Voice Within)

Jeff Loomis (2 songs)

Liquid Tension Experiment (6 songs)

Scale the Summit (31 songs, often extended range, 5- or 6-string bass or 7-string guitar. See discography page for more detailed breakdown)

Edited by albatross213
  • Like 2

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Hey, thank you for adding me as a Notable Charter. It is appreciated!

Just wondering if you want to add these bands?

Mixed/Harsh Vocals

Meshuggah

The Faceless

Veil of Maya

Instrumental

Conquering Dystopia

Good job with your list so far. I can't think of any other prog metal bands that have been charted.

• Like 1

@@Ki113r94 - Good catches. Wasn't entirely sure where to put Meshuggah, but they do deserve to be here. Also added Tesseract, Edge of Sanity, and Intronaut.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@@XCFRES - I'm a big fan of theirs, but unfortunately there aren't really any complete tabs of their songs. Their bassist does have a few bass playthroughs of their songs on his youtube channel, though.

I'm pretty busy, so I won't be able to see them (or Vektor/Voivod, or...) on their current tours, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately, I was not able to do any song for the community but during the Easter holidays I hope that i can find the time to learn and do at least one. I'm happy to see that there is a page for progressive metal. I would have some suggestions for inclusion, in case people agree with my opinion. I did not see here Pink Floyd which, together with Dream Theater I would call no 1 as progressive bands, even if the styles are totally different. Then, we have Blind Guardian, Camel, Yes just to name a few. And many thanks for creating this page :)

Cheers

Well, unfortunately, I was not able to do any song for the community but during the Easter holidays I hope that i can find the time to learn and do at least one. I'm happy to see that there is a page for progressive metal. I would have some suggestions for inclusion, in case people agree with my opinion. I did not see here Pink Floyd which, together with Dream Theater I would call no 1 as progressive bands, even if the styles are totally different. Then, we have Blind Guardian, Camel, Yes just to name a few. And many thanks for creating this page :)

Cheers

@@albatross213 only lists Progressive Metal in this thread, hence the title. Most bands you mentioned are in the Progressive Rock thread.

• Like 1

Cheers

@@albatross213 only lists Progressive Metal in this thread, hence the title. Most bands you mentioned are in the Progressive Rock thread.

Well, good point on that. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Updated the numbers (finally) and added a few new bands to the list. Let me know if there's anything else you think should be added!

• 5 years later...