Partial Handshape for notes remaining unchanged in sequence

Berneer

Hi all,

So one of the joys of learning a song in RS is to see an intimidating flurry of notes and then with some Riff Repeating, certain patterns become obvious and the impossible becomes possible. What I prefer to do when creating a custom is give the user cues on how to use the optimum strategy to master a phrase.

Example on my current custom is this. Messy in my opinion, not in EoF but in-game on fast scroll

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Partial%20Handshape/As%20Imported_zpskzb00xzw.png

What I would like to do is mark the above phrase as a Handshape. Since the LowE and G strings remain unchanged throughout the phrase I attempted to see if I can provide a partial handshape to whatever is static throughout the phrase but EoF returned the following:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Partial%20Handshape/Can%20I%20used%20handshape%20as%20follows_zpsejd4542f.png

I guess it doesn't like partial handshapes. So trying to get my head around Ghost Handshapes I wondered if this could work with single notes instead of chords so I tried the following.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Partial%20Handshape/Trying%20Ghost%20Handshapes%202%20strings-frets%20fixed%201%20variable_zpsq8krg1si.jpg

but it doesn't seem the Ghost Handshape logic is meant to do for single notes what it does for chords since I now get the same thing as the first image except now I get  the blue highway highlight due to marking the handshape. (As I was just testing the Ghost handshape idea I didn't get around to applying fingering to this above test since this idea didn't end up working)

I then noticed this post today in raynebc's EoF Hotfix thread and it seems like either this idea has already floated about and is authorable or under consideration.

The official way seems to use some overlaped handShapes to manage this, but it needs more testing to be sure the Toolkit let us generate it ...

I'm still not a hundred percent clear on what the purpose of overlapping handshapes is for. Is this needed in order to have chords inside of a handshape/arpeggio? Or for having fretted/open gems inside a handshape that aren't used in the handshape's base chord?

I guess I would just like to know if there is currently a "best practices" way of authoring, through EoF, the partial handshape I seek or if what I want to do is not (yet) doable. I was going to try modding my XML to test how to shoehorn partial handshapes but perhaps I've been out of it long enough that my question is actually a noob question.

Thanks!

P.S. I guess a partial handshape, if it were possible, works fine for my example, but I recognize there certainly exists a more complicated variant to my example: If one wished to encapsulate a phrase in a handshape where there may be the  occasional different notes on the same string as those cemented by a handshape (fingerprints). Example D/Dsus4/Dsus2 type shift like in PC Plum's Sweet Child O Mine.

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Administrator

In official DLC, this would be done mostly by changing the base handshape when you have a change of fingering to indicate everytime where the finger should be.

This can already be done but need a bit more work than just a single handshape but it ends up giving more information.

One other way that i've seen in What I've Done by Linkin Park is keeping the lowest fingering and not change anything all along.

In your case indicating the lowest fret for all string and then associate the fingering that goes with it and you are good to go.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I'd also think it would be easiest to just author several consecutive handshape phrases that have just a small gap (up to a few tens of milliseconds maybe) between them. You could author a different handshape starting with each of those low E string notes. The fingering animations would give just about the same effect as if there were overlapping handshape phrases like some official charts use. The other benefit of doing it this way is that we already expect it will work with the toolkit and with DDC without any major problems.

• Like 2

Thank-you very much firekorn and raynebc for the quick responses! I will try this ASAP.

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.