How to sync guitar pro file with an incorrect leading space

foobs

Question

Hi,

This is my first attempt at creating a CDLC and have been following the tut by SkepticSquid (thanks SS).

I'm not having an issue with the process as such, but it seems that the Guitar Pro file has a differing leading space and because of this I cannot get the fingering to synchronise with the music waveform.

The song is Ed Sheeran's Small Bump and after importing the MP3 there seems to be a leading 2250 milliseconds of quiet.  Because of this when I import the Guitar Pro file it starts 2250ms too soon.  Is there a way I can push the GP fingerings forward without having to go in and manually adjust every note?

Adding leading space to the track just pushes the music waveform and GP file forward together so doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Foobs

8 answers to this question

Having leading silence is actually a good thing. IMO you should always have at least 3000 milliseconds of leading silence so that the player has a chance to get ready and be in position to play before the song actually starts.

Once the leading silence is added, you'll want to move the first beat marker forward (to the right on piano roll). You'll also want to designate the time signature (4/4 being the most common). If the actually starts on the first beat of the measure, then you'll want to move the first beat marker to where the first note is played. If the song has a "lead in" measure where the music starts in the middle of a measure, you'll want to align the beat markers in accordance with this.

Here's an example of a song that has a lead in and how it would look:

http://i.imgur.com/gzhAUhe.jpg

• Like 1

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Thanks for the reply, but it wasn't leading space I had an issue with, just where the notes began in the file after an import.  To solve all I had to do was select all and then drag them into the correct position.

I should have gone a little farther into the tut to find an answer, sorry  :oops:

You may want to read the comments on that tutorial video when you have a moment. There's a lot of reasons why you may not want to rely solely on moving the notes in the manner you've described there. It may seem easier at first, but it could cause more headaches.Glad you were at least able to fix it for the moment though!

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Hi.  Am attempting to create CDLC on a Mac.  On loading EOF, a pop-up tells me that it doesn't support MP3 (and need to install LAME & Vorbis tools)... so I use an OGG file by exporting the MP3 from Audacity, which is then imported into EOF.

The complication seems to be that EOF cannot edit the music file to insert the leading space, or delay...I tried both methods and attempted to make sure that it wasn't a file permissions issue by chmod'ing the file to 777. 

Anyone else finding (on either OSX or PC) finding that the OGG files won't allow delay/leading space to be inserted?

Anyone on OSX gone as far as installing LAME and Vorbis tools and been able to add delay leading space?

Given the amount of hoops I have had to jump through to get Rocksmith & CDLC making apps running, I'm reluctant to sink more time into attempting to configure programs that aren't well understood from an installation path perspective.

I had an issue where there was a bit of silence on the mp3 before the actual song started. I edited the mp3 to remove the silence -- this really seemed to help with EOF BPM calculator and syncing in general. (This is one of the problems with using mp3s as loops too -- there's always a bit of silence).

First thing I did after importing the mp3 was set the leading silence (3000 ms as suggested).

Another quirk of syncing -- if you don't specifically use the Next Grip Snap function to place the cursor exactly where it should be, all of the notes you paste will be slightly out of sync.

Hi. Am attempting to create CDLC on a Mac. On loading EOF, a pop-up tells me that it doesn't support MP3 (and need to install LAME & Vorbis tools)... so I use an OGG file by exporting the MP3 from Audacity, which is then imported into EOF.

The EOF releases thread includes a Mac installer for tools to decode MP3 (LAME) and encode OGG (oggenc). If you want to use the "stream copy" leading silence feature, you also have to put the Oggcat program in EOF's program folder. Oggcat is part of the OGG Video tools (http://www.streamnik.de/files.html), but they don't provide Mac binaries so you'd have to build it from source or find it someplace.

Another quirk of syncing -- if you don't specifically use the Next Grip Snap function to place the cursor exactly where it should be, all of the notes you paste will be slightly out of sync.

This depends on the notes you are pasting. If you are pasting notes so that the first note goes on a beat line, you can skip the grid snap seeking functions and just seek by beat marker (Pg up and Pg dn) instead.