Dynamic Difficulty revisited (for me anyway)

AtGame7

Question

A while back I read several opinions that the Riff Repeater was best used with Dynamic Difficulty set at 100% and the speed option set to as slow as needed to play the riff.  The argument was that playing it 100% correctly slowly and building up speed was the way to go.  I believed that as it made a lot of sense and in all honesty I wasn't interested in learning 40% of a riff at a time.

The problem for players like me is we don't have the skill, even at very slow speeds, to get the combination of notes from the screen to our eyes and translate that to the fretboard before the next note or series of notes is passing us by. 

I'll give what is probably a bad example, remember I'm still a beginner so things that come easy to you simply aren't to me.  I wanted to play the intro to "Sweet Child o' Mine" and I realize it's basically eight notes over and over again, but if you fire up Riff Repeater even at 10% it's still 100+ notes coming at you more quickly than I can interpret.  It gets frustrating and I simply move on to something else.  

I finally am able to play that intro, but only because I went out online and found a tab and now I use Rocksmith to make sure my timing is right and that's it.  Rocksmith and Riff Repeater were basically useless to me in this area because the riff had so many notes so fast.

Now, working on "Pour Some Sugar On Me" I found some parts presented the same problem but I decided to give the Dynamic Difficulty a try and while it takes me longer to learn a riff than if I was just able to translate at 100% and slower speed, I think I'm finding it much easier and less frustrating.

I think the common opinion on here is 100% DD and slow speed, but I think I'm being swayed that DD is a good option for those of us who just aren't as skilled or as quick as others.

Anyone else use DD?

8 answers to this question

• Administrator

I did when starting playing guitar with rocksmith (the first one and i haven't played guitar before)) and it was amazingly useful for me for about 1 year or so and i'm now always firing up everything at 100% difficulty but mostly because reading the chart and moving around on the fretboard has become way more natural.

It's really a matter of preferences and background and it's only up to you to find your balance in all the tool you have.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Sweet child o' mine and Pour some sugar on me aren't beginners songs. If you have little or no experience at all playing guitar you MUST begin with something more your level, like Angela or Next girl. The thing is about common sense and not just silly assumptions. No matter how slow yo set RR if is there a difficult song you aren't going to get it even for intermediate/advanced, more if you are a complete noob! Anyway I wonder who would recommend you to slow down RR and you got it,meh. If you like to play song right away just because and you have not time to spare ,go and get GH live! It's just a guitar toy sim that don't require a lot of intelligence to be played along. Even you can set it at casual or something. But if you aim for the real deal just stick Rocksmith14, but the thing is not for the lazy and impatient. Don't blame others about things you can't get along, playing guitar is a lot of empiric/autodidact learning. Just blaming another about your impatient while you don't know anything is plain rude ,ignorant and silly. Got it?

Just blaming another about your impatient while you don't know anything is plain rude ,ignorant and silly. Got it?

You misunderstand my request for others opinions as complaining.  I'm simply looking to make the best use of Rocksmith that I can and I value others opinions on here.

• Like 2

Sweet child o' mine and Pour some sugar on me aren't beginners songs. If you have little or no experience at all playing guitar you MUST begin with something more your level, like Angela or Next girl. The thing is about common sense and not just silly assumptions. No matter how slow yo set RR if is there a difficult song you aren't going to get it even for intermediate/advanced, more if you are a complete noob! Anyway I wonder who would recommend you to slow down RR and you got it,meh. If you like to play song right away just because and you have not time to spare ,go and get GH live! It's just a guitar toy sim that don't require a lot of intelligence to be played along. Even you can set it at casual or something. But if you aim for the real deal just stick Rocksmith14, but the thing is not for the lazy and impatient. Don't blame others about things you can't get along, playing guitar is a lot of empiric/autodidact learning. Just blaming another about your impatient while you don't know anything is plain rude ,ignorant and silly. Got it?

Watch your words and don't be a complete douchebag, another warning for you, try not to do this again 

• Like 3

9A7alLl.jpg

@@AtGame7 Dynamic Difficulty is a blessing for beginners. Like firekorn said, DD is extremely useful when you start, there is less notes, makes everything not only easy but also fun. That's what makes learning how to play on guitar painless (sorta :lol: ). Use it freely and one day you'll just stop, 'cause you'll be good enough. Then DD will start to irritate you :lol:

• Like 1

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

Just blaming another about your impatient while you don't know anything is plain rude ,ignorant and silly. Got it?

You misunderstand my request for others opinions as complaining.  I'm simply looking to make the best use of Rocksmith that I can and I value others opinions on here.

There is nothing wrong with promoting a discussion, most of us are here to support that - and those that don't, find themselves unable to use the site for a few weeks.

For me, I find the choice to use the DD depends entirely on my mood. If I want to learn something properly, I'll riff repeat the hell out of it - but I use the DD step ups within RR to do that - I find that "works" for me. But everyone learns differently.

If tab is easier for you to learn certain parts to a point that you can then attempt then in Rocksmith - grab the http://www.rocksmithtotab.de/- Rocksmith to tab tool - that reads the rocksmith file and creates a tab file from it, so you are practising the exact same arrangement from tab.

• Like 1

For bass I found DD very useful but never used the option to reduce the amount of notes, just reduced the speed to learn songs. I find learning songs with a repetitive riff and if the riff pattern is quite long I'll pause the screen to memorize it then increase the speed. The first songs I learned were silversun pickups, pistol switch and muse, plug in baby by using that method. Neither are beginner songs but they were both songs I enjoyed listening to with lengthy repetitions. I find the more complex the riff the more likely I'll memorize the pattern, but that's my personal preference as songs with occasional notes with a lot of air time between notes I'll undoubtedly forget what comes next. The quality of practice really is important too, playing tired and irritable tends to not conclude with great results... Though, I have mashed out some nice noises when just being irritated :)

The first song I 100%'d on master mode was monster truck's sweet mountain river, using the same method... That particular track I've had 420+ plays on (I like it a wee bit) and without dynamic difficulty speed adjuster, I would probably just still be noodling about. I'd love to see DD give the option to increase the speed on songs so that when it comes to playing fast riffs they don't feel so intensely insane when playing them through.

Practice how you like :) I hope the pausing screen option helps a bit though :)

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony