Dusting first or restring?

ShrillBear52

I bought a pacage of Ernie Ball Strings a week ago and i want to restring my Cort CR 230 Guitar.But it's very dusty and need to be cleand.Should i Dust it first or resting it?

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

yep take em off, clean your guitar up, then put the new strings on. 

edit: i need to do this myself. . . . so lazy am i

Ha Ha! If you saw the dust , grime and cigarette ash on my guitars you'd feel alot better :D

Another one bite the Dust? :)

• Like 1

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Unless you have a tremelo just cut all the strings off then clean her up. I would clean the fretboard since you can get to it as well. String it up and enjoy. New strings are almost as good as new guitar day to me.

• Like 1

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

Unless you have a tremelo just cut all the strings off then clean her up. I would clean the fretboard since you can get to it as well. String it up and enjoy. New strings are almost as good as new guitar day to me.

I alreday cut the old strings (damm i get lof of scars,how stupid am I)but when i celand the guitar it doesn't have any signals that it's clean.Also i restringd it and the high e stirng has been broked( that's the 4th case,i think the hish e strings hate me  :( ) and it it's not enough, most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

I alreday cut the old strings (damm i get lof of scars,how stupid am I)but when i celand the guitar it doesn't have any signals that it's clean.Also i restringd it and the high e stirng has been broked( that's the 4th case,i think the hish e strings hate me  :( ) and it it's not enough, most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

I'm no expert but that sounds like a truss rod issue.

• Like 1

most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

Sound like an action-issue, aka your strings touching the frets. You'll probably have to raise your bridge saddles for that. Are you using different strings than usually?

Also, do you cut off the strings immediatly after a restring? I usually let them settle a bit before doing that because I had a few times the e-string just breaks when I do that immediatly after a restring. Anyway, if it really happens a lot, just go for a bit thicker strings. I usually put .10 on my guitar for that reason and they usually last a bit longer.

• Like 1

most of the strings if i play it,it has weird noises.So i've got a lot of pronblems.

Sound like an action-issue, aka your strings touching the frets. You'll probably have to raise your bridge saddles for that. Are you using different strings than usually?

Also, do you cut off the strings immediatly after a restring? I usually let them settle a bit before doing that because I had a few times the e-string just breaks when I do that immediatly after a restring. Anyway, if it really happens a lot, just go for a bit thicker strings. I usually put .10 on my guitar for that reason and they usually last a bit longer.

It's a 10 Gauge string pacage and i alread brokd the high e string.Well,i cut the useles string parts but not to short.

Also i will not buy anymore ernie ball strings because it's a pice of shit!!!!  It can get suckd very easily even it's a hard gauge string.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Also i will not buy anymore ernie ball strings because it's a pice of shit!!!!  It can get suckd very easily even it's a hard gauge string.

Hmmm. I usually buy the regular slinky ones and never really had problems with them. They usually last quite a while for me.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I usually buy the regular slinky ones and never really had problems with them. They usually last quite a while for me.

It can be a lot of time to restring a guitar with this string,and i don't know, now i chekd it again and it doesn't seem to be any problem,but tomrrow i will take it to the guitarstore.

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

• Administrator

Brand of string have quite different result depending on each guitar/guitarist. I don't have any issue with Ernie Ball but i've heard some people complain while for some other brand it's the other way around...

Try it out by yourself and make your own opinion based on your own feeling, it's easy to buy a pack of different brand and then choose what you feel comfortable with. It's the same thing for pick :)

And dusting while you have no string is way easier but don't let the guitar with no string for too long either (get yourself a good afternoon for the whole process) as this could cause heavy damage on the neck of the guitar depending on the truss rod quality. And after all of this a little check on the setup of the guitar can't do any harm of course :D

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Ive been using super slinkys since the late 80s, ive tried every other brand of strings i can get my hands on, i just end up going back to balls.  

I would take the old strings off first , then clean

The fingerboard in that post is disgusting! I thought mine were bad but they're nothing compared to that! I tend to wash my hands before playing so I don't mess it up too much but I change strings every month and I always give a full clean at the same time.

• Like 1
Gear:

Chapman ML-1, Blackstar HT1

My systems: 

Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 2666MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1333MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | Arch Linux

Ive been using super slinkys since the late 80s, ive tried every other brand of strings i can get my hands on, i just end up going back to balls.  

Well,i taked the guitar to the guitarstore and i've be waiting for the results of the investigate(i mean ,they checkd the guitar if it's bad)

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

The fingerboard in that post is disgusting! I thought mine were bad but they're nothing compared to that! I tend to wash my hands before playing so I don't mess it up too much but I change strings every month and I always give a full clean at the same time.

I should probably wash my hands before playing. I've had the same strings on for over a year , is that bad?

I should probably wash my hands before playing. I've had the same strings on for over a year , is that bad?

If you don't mind it then there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. I just find I love the feeling and the sound of brand new strings. I only use Elixir strings which most people are happy to leave on for months but I start to notice a loss of tone after a week or two. There's nothing nicer than the feel and sound of new strings to me :D

One thing to be aware of is that your fretboard can dry out from the sweat, gunk and general humidity so it's worth restringing just to keep your fretboard feeling fresh.

Gear:

Chapman ML-1, Blackstar HT1

My systems: 

Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 2666MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1333MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | Arch Linux

Ah nice. Feel free to update us on what the problem was, I'm curious. Could be just too much stress on the e-string for some reason. maybe they will adjust the neck truss rod or the bridge (if it's a floating bridge)

Well,yesterday i went to the guitar store for Veronika(that's how i call this guitar)and it just needed to set a little bit in the neck,because it's not avarage strings what i use now on this guitar.Also no i have this Dunlop(string cleaner)to clean up the strings after many playing.But there is one thing i don't understand even now.When i restringd the guitar with the gauge string it had noises when i playd it and i saw this 'thing ' on many video (i don't know how's it call)they do this to stay the guitar in tune or what.I did this but it still had the noises so i leaved,because i had to go my grandma to Szigetvár and when i returned to home and playd the guita,only the D string had noises but the others seemd pefect.If somone have any ideas how was this please write to me! :)

My Customs

G7SOxFY.jpg

Ah nice. Feel free to update us on what the problem was, I'm curious. Could be just too much stress on the e-string for some reason. maybe they will adjust the neck truss rod or the bridge (if it's a floating bridge)

Well,yesterday i went to the guitar store for Veronika(that's how i call this guitar)and it just needed to set a little bit in the neck,because it's not avarage strings what i use now on this guitar.Also no i have this Dunlop(string cleaner)to clean up the strings after many playing.But there is one thing i don't understand even now.When i restringd the guitar with the gauge string it had noises when i playd it and i saw this 'thing ' on many video (i don't know how's it call)they do this to stay the guitar in tune or what.I did this but it still had the noises so i leaved,because i had to go my grandma to Szigetvár and when i returned to home and playd the guita,only the D string had noises but the others seemd pefect.If somone have any ideas how was this please write to me! :)

If you have a buzz sound on a string that means your action is too low.(sometimes new strings do that anyway tough if you immediatly play after a restring, until they are a bit settled) But if the buzz sound stays it's because of the action. Wich is essentially your string that is too close to the neck when you fret. So when you fret and play a note, the string touches one of the frets, you should be able to see that.

You can easily change that by raising the saddle of the string on your bridge.

This might help you understand it a bit better: http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/electric-guitar-repairs/adjust_action_electric_guitar.html

Washing your hands might help but if you have sweaty hands most of the time while playing it won't help that much. Then it's mostly your sweat that is going to affect the neck/stings.

Doesn't really matter how long you keep your strings but after a while the guitar will just get out of tune up/down the neck because the string's tension will drop because of wearing.