Am I allowed to make a cDLC in which only a part of it already is a oCDL in another key?

BX5

Question

I've read the rules but it isn't really clear on this matter.

• No posting of official Rocksmith 1 or Rocksmith 2014 official content. That means included songs and official DLC. Live versions of official content are also not allowed.

I'll explain what I'm thinking about. So, I've noticed that on the forum there wasn't Toccata by Bach, which I found kinda odd since it has some less known classic masterpieces. Then I realized that the original song is actually "Toccata and Fugue in D minor", and the "Fugue in D minor" part already exists as a oDLC. Although it is actually called "Little Fugue in G minor" and since some other oDLC's from Bachsmith had some changes I assume that this one had too, also it is in another key. So, since it won't be exactly the same, I was wondering if am I allowed to do it.

I'm sure I would at least try to if I can, but I don't even know if I would be able to get it done, but I just want to know it so I don't start working on it for nothing.

4 answers to this question

Well, the rules of CF are based on the fact that Ubisoft has to pay to buy the rights, so that they can claim benefits from that, and it would be unfair from us to give it away for free, which I completely respect.

Consequently, CF would risk lawsuits, even being shut down, if not kneeing before the RS creator.

Which I find hard to swallow, but then it is more intelligent to act with humility for the greater good.

So I completely agree to their rules for that reason.

If the CREATOR had to pay some fee's for the classical works is more than doubtful,

and you cannot blindly apply rules, there are always grey zones.

To understand rules or laws, which is always a must to accept them,

you have to raise above the simple texts, and question their causes, justifications, origins

and bifurcations with the different aspirations of people or organizations.

That's the responsibility of every single adult in this world, ...to make it better. ^_^

• Administrator

There's a lot of Toccata written by Bach (more than 10). The oDLC is actually the "little" Fugue in G minor reference as the BWV 578 which doesn't have any Toccata link to that pieces for all i know (i don't think there's any Toccata and Fugue in G for all i've found).

So if you're not making the BWV 578, i don't see how that would violate the rule.

(fun fact the Fugue part of the Toccata and Fugue in D minor was used by Slash in Anastasia which is available as an official DLC but that doesn't make it agains the rule ;) )

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I can't see anybody having a copyright on Bach, 1685 – 1750, or other musicians without living heirs, 

long gone before some greedy guy's came up with the ominous copyright laws to prevent people to have free access to culture. 

Ok @@firekorn, let's not raise that topic again :lol:

• Like 1

• Administrator

It's not about copyright here, it's about the inside rule of CF stating that no CDLC should be made with the same content than an official DLC already have.

In that case doing the little fugue in G minor again can cause CF issue with Ubisoft which i think nobody want cause that would most likely mean that CF would die.

The fact that the song is in public domain doesn't come in consideration here.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity