computer died. Please help me transfer RS 2014 to new computer

peteh

Question

Hey all,

My computer took a dump on me the other day and the computer repair shop says it isn't worth fixing. I picked up another computer and want to transfer RS 2014 and all my CDLC over and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make the swap painless.

I'm not real computer savvy but can follow directions LOL

Thanks for any help or advice

16 answers to this question

I'm not an expert for this, but i think you have rocksmith for steam right?You have to copy your save files to a pendrive for example,and install rs2014 to the new computer and then copy the save files.Correct me if i'm wrong. 

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

Well, if we don't know what the problem is with the pc we can't really help you that much.

Either you add the hard disk to your new pc, buy an external case to use it as an external hdd. Or use a boot-usb with, for example, Ubuntu so you can load the OS and access your data.

But if they told you the pc isn't worth fixing it would surprise me if you could even get to your data with a boot-usb.

So I think your best bet is the first or second option depending if you have room in your new pc.

Well, if we don't know what the problem is with the pc we can't really help you that much.

Either you add the hard disk to your new pc, buy an external case to use it as an external hdd. Or use a boot-usb with, for example, Ubuntu so you can load the OS and access your data.

But if they told you the pc isn't worth fixing it would surprise me if you could even get to your data with a boot-usb.

So I think your best bet is the first or second option depending if you have room in your new pc.

Sorry for the poor description.

The computer isn't dead, I made the mistake of picking it up by the screen and accidently put my thumb through the screen, the entire screen cracked like nothing I have seen before. I can plug a HDMI cable in and use my TV as a screen to complete the RS2014 transfer.

I did buy RS through steam.

Just trying to avoid downloading all my CDLC again

The computer isn't dead, I made the mistake of picking it up by the screen and accidently put my thumb through the screen, the entire screen cracked like nothing I have seen before. I can plug a HDMI cable in and use my TV as a screen to complete the RS2014 transfer.

Then you just have to save your files to a pendrive and than copy to your new computer.

My Customs

The reasons why most of my customs are not updated yet:

1.)I'm lazy to do it because I have no motivation for it

2.)I'm not at my computer

3.)I'm working on a song that I haven't made it yet

4.)I don't have any song to work on it

G7SOxFY.jpg

Then you just have to save your files to a pendrive and than copy to your new computer.

Will copying the files to the new computer allow me to keep progressing on the CDLC I have or will I be starting over at 0% completion?

Huge thanks to everyone who offered help

Sooo I'm guessing you are on a laptop then

I'm not 100% sure how the saving works to be honest, but I it's either steam or uplay that saves the progression. What I have noticed from making cdlc is that the game links an id to your cdlc's. So I think if you have your saves it should recognise the cdlc's again and show the proper progress. But there's probably someone more qualified here to answer this

• Like 1

As long as you transfer your save profile, all of your progression in the game will be transferred with it.  You can also move cdlc in and out of the dlc folder at any time without losing the progression.

If you have Steam's Cloud feature enabled (which it normally is by default) then you won't even have to copy your profile over to your new computer.  Simply reinstall Steam, download RS again, and it will download your profile as well.

I play RS on 3 different computers.  My profile is updated on all three by the Steam Cloud.

• Like 1

accidently put my thumb through the screen, the entire screen cracked like nothing I have seen before.

And I'm not sure since I don't have your specs. But if it's just the screen that's broken, then I don't see why they told you that it's not worth fixing, unless it's a really old laptop or maybe a mac. But for most laptops you can buy a replacement screen fairly cheap(depends on the laptop tough) and it's really not hard to replace.

accidently put my thumb through the screen, the entire screen cracked like nothing I have seen before.

And I'm not sure since I don't have your specs. But if it's just the screen that's broken, then I don't see why they told you that it's not worth fixing, unless it's a really old laptop or maybe a mac. But for most laptops you can buy a replacement screen fairly cheap(depends on the laptop tough) and it's really not hard to replace.

The laptop is a 2 year old Toshiba that I bought new for about $275.00

The new screen and related parts plus labor was quoted at $200.00

I was also told that there is a design flaw in the chassis that somehow breaks the screen hinge. I was told this hinge break was going to happen, it was just a matter of when.

@@peteh

$200 just to replace a screen sounds way too much for a $275 laptop. Screens can cost up to $150 but I highly doubt they put a screen like that in a $275 laptop. Usually those screens are around  $75 range (wich they probably even get cheaper as a store), even with labor cost you shouldn't get to $200, it takes like 10minutes to switch out a screen.

Can't say much about the design flaw, but if you have it for 2 years without any problem. Then I doubt it is there.

....was browsing a few things and I'm guessing it's a Toshiba Sattelite model?

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/612-claim-up-to-225-in-the-toshiba-satellite-broken-hinge-class-action-settlement/

Not sure if you bought the laptop at the same place you went for the repair, but either they sold you a product knowing it was faulty, or it's an updated model with the flaw fixed  (wich is more likely since you presumably bought it 3 years later this article came out).

wether or not it's worth to replace the screen depends on a few things, but the price they asked seems fishy. Sounds like they where eager to just sell you a new laptop and probably take your old laptop out of your hands for free.

PS: I hope you didn't get another Toshiba laptop as the company already "covered" up several problems with their laptops from what I found over the internet

• Like 1

@@peteh

$200 just to replace a screen sounds way too much for a $275 laptop. Screens can cost up to $150 but I highly doubt they put a screen like that in a $275 laptop. Usually those screens are around  $75 range (wich they probably even get cheaper as a store), even with labor cost you shouldn't get to $200, it takes like 10minutes to switch out a screen.

Can't say much about the design flaw, but if you have it for 2 years without any problem. Then I doubt it is there.

....was browsing a few things and I'm guessing it's a Toshiba Sattelite model?

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/612-claim-up-to-225-in-the-toshiba-satellite-broken-hinge-class-action-settlement/

Not sure if you bought the laptop at the same place you went for the repair, but either they sold you a product knowing it was faulty, or it's an updated model with the flaw fixed  (wich is more likely since you presumably bought it 3 years later this article came out).

wether or not it's worth to replace the screen depends on a few things, but the price they asked seems fishy. Sounds like they where eager to just sell you a new laptop and probably take your old laptop out of your hands for free.

PS: I hope you didn't get another Toshiba laptop as the company already "covered" up several problems with their laptops from what I found over the internet

The computer was bought at WalMart. The computer repair shop told me the cost was due to it being a touch screen and both the screen itself and the associated touch parts were damaged.

Ah I see. Still, that's most likely just the screen and a cable. With most screens going under $100 and a cable (won't be that much) it's weird they asked $200. Well..at least in my opinion. But I think most computer repair shops usually ask way too much for the effort. 

Last time I went to a repair shop in my town my old laptop screen cable was broken in the hinges by closing/opening the lid so much. They where already letting me believe that it was going to cost too much money to repair since it was an old laptop. So I took the laptop back home with me, ordered a cable for the screen for less than $10 and fixed it myself 2 days later. Same with a different laptop where just the HDD was broken. Just took it back with me (when they told me it was going to take more than a week and like $100-150) and ordered a new HDD for $50 (wich took 5min to swap) and fixed it the day later myself.

So now I just try to fix everything myself first, while learning new things everytime, wich is nice.

If you are curious, just look at how easy it is to replace a screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKQK-CXIto

and the computer repair shop says it isn't worth fixing

At least they are being honest.

As far as the pc goes, thats up to you.  Things break, time to bite the bullet and buy a new pc.  A better one...  :D

If you are using steam, then yeah as said the profile should automatically change over.  Once you install steam/RS on your new machine (using your account details) then the profile will be there the first time you load up.

If you are using another version then haha!

Get the laptop back from the shop, pull the HDD out yourself, plug it into your new pc (you may need to buy a cheap HDD caddy), get your dlc folder off it and paste it into your new dlc folder.

Should be seamless, if you use the legal route.

and the computer repair shop says it isn't worth fixing

At least they are being honest.

As far as the pc goes, thats up to you.  Things break, time to bite the bullet and buy a new pc.  A better one...  :D

If you are using steam, then yeah as said the profile should automatically change over.  Once you install steam/RS on your new machine (using your account details) then the profile will be there the first time you load up.

If you are using another version then haha!

Get the laptop back from the shop, pull the HDD out yourself, plug it into your new pc (you may need to buy a cheap HDD caddy), get your dlc folder off it and paste it into your new dlc folder.

Should be seamless, if you use the legal route.

I got the new computer, installed RS2014 and copied all my CDLC from the dlc folder in the old computer. All the Pre installed songs work perfectly. All the CDLC songs show up in the main song list but wont play. It just freezes.

I feel like I'm missing something