Author sustained chord with a hammer-on?

mrmaton

Question

I still don't think HO/PO's should apply to linknext status because they will never achieve the desired outcome - i.e. be "combined with the previous note on that string". The desired outcome itself excludes HO/PO's because they will never be the same note and cannot be combined.

I guess I'm just looking for the easy way out, and I thought having HO/PO's excluded from linknext status would be easier and achieve the same result as making an original chord without linknext status, then manually having to apply linknext status to only the notes that stay the same via the use of tech notes.

Hi mrmaton,

I guess I am not understanding your point here about no linknext with HOPO since it is their co-existence that should make this all possible. It would seem to me like what you are trying to accomplish is exactly as per the image I posted above with the red writing annotated on it, except just that there is that pesky 2nd green note that I'd wish would disappear at the same time stamp as the hammer-on. Without linknext tech notes you get the subsequent example I posted which might as well not have HOPO but just be picked 3x as three different sustaining chords. That would be a simplification that would not sound like a HOPO. I am wondering if you are thinking that we want linknext to erase the HO and PO note heads? That is not the case. Those HO and PO note heads are essential. Linknext is only to sustain without note heads those notes played on strings that do not need to be re-picked. Again, sorry if I am am not understanding you.

If I am not understanding you, can you find a way to draw/sketch/screenshot out exactly what you wish you could see in game. If you go the screenshot route can you exaggerate the sustain durations for better visibility, add a screenshot of what it looks like in EoF and use the

bbcode (without the spaces I added so it would show up here) to show us what the corresponding XML looks like. Sorry for being so demanding :) it is just that I have been having trouble making heads or tails (hehehe silly pun intended) with your earlier in-game screenshots.

In the meantime I was thinking of adding a "pending examples" such as this one and the one with STOP note status in the Tech Note Tutorial so as to alert of intended tech notes functionality but admittedly not quite functional yet. Your memory is correct mrmaton, the tutorial currently makes no mention of status tech notes such as stop and linknext, let alone HOPO, yet. I will add it. Like you, I am sure that what you are trying to accomplish is something many people will find useful yet which I have seen no ODLC do yet.

I am curious mrmaton, what song are you creating? Is it possible to make a link to the tab you are using? Perhaps I could offer that as proof of necessity on the toolkit bug report as well as use that exact tablature in the Tech Note Tutorial for an example.

Cheers!

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

Hi Berneer,

I'm getting ready for work at the moment so I'll be brief, but I'll get back with more in 10-12 hours time...

My sticking point with linknext is that, to me, I understand its intended purpose is to facilitate a 'tie' in music notation. Which by definition is "..a curved line connecting the heads of two notes of the same pitch and name, indicating that they are to be played as a single note with a duration equal to the sum of the individual notes' note values. A tie is similar in appearance to a slur, however slurs join notes of different pitches which need to be played independently, but seamlessly."

So when HO/PO's are introduced, they are no longer considered a 'tie' because they are no longer unison (same pitch and name), but instead are referred to as 'slurs' or 'legato'.

The linknext function should remove the secondary note heads because their time values are combined, but HO/PO's can not be combined with the original note because they are no longer unison.

Therefore, if, at a software level, you could make linknext only apply to consecutive unison notes and omit note changes on the same string, you could author a linknext chord and have HO/PO's during the duration of that chord with their own note heads and time durations....

Hope that makes more sence...

I'll get back with more of your requests later today...

Thanks again...

I'm willing to test what you describe in your last sentence, but am not too sure what exactly you recommending from an XML perspective. If you can elaborate a bit I'd be happy to perform any tests you would like to help facilitate your "job".

An example I'd posted on the toolkit bug tracker was:BEFORE:
<chord time="14.509" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="24" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">  <chordNote time="14.509" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>  <chordNote time="14.509" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.088" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/></chord><note time="14.597" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.096" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.597" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.096" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.693" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.152" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.693" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.152" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><chord time="14.903" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="25" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">  <chordNote time="14.903" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>  <chordNote time="14.903" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.054" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/></chord><note time="14.957" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.332" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.957" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.332" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
AFTER:
<chord time="14.509" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="24" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">  <chordNote time="14.509" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>  <chordNote time="14.509" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.336" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/></chord><note time="14.597" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.096" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><note time="14.693" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.152" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/><chord time="14.903" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="25" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">  <chordNote time="14.903" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>  <chordNote time="14.903" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.386" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/></chord><note time="14.957" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.332" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
The chordNotes that had linkNext status are made longer and the corresponding single note tag is removed. 

I still don't think HO/PO's should apply to linknext status because they will never achieve the desired outcome - i.e. be "combined with the previous note on that string". The desired outcome itself excludes HO/PO's because they will never be the same note and cannot be combined.

I prefer to leave it to the chart authors to decide how they want to author it, in case they want to experiment to see if they can get something unusual to work to their liking. For now and the long term, it's best to use tech notes if you want to apply any status to some, but not all, strings in a chord. 

I checked through my song for more double stops and found another three that I had missed, I don't recall setting fingering for them but they did have 2nd & 3rd fingers assigned instead of both strings using the 1st finger...

This was probably the automated chord detection then. That would be the Em chord shape. Even though it's harder to use two fingers for that shape, it's generally considered better technique. If you want, you can edit the chordshapes.xml file in EOF's program directory and edit that definition from:
<chordTemplate chordName="Em"		finger0="-1" finger1= "2" finger2= "3" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0= "0" fret1= "2" fret2= "2" fret3= "0" fret4= "0" fret5= "0"/>
to
<chordTemplate chordName="Em"		finger0="-1" finger1= "1" finger2= "1" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0= "0" fret1= "2" fret2= "2" fret3= "0" fret4= "0" fret5= "0"/>
And then just re-open EOF. Keep in mind that defining chords to use of the index finger will change how the fret hand positions are created (it will set the fret hand position to the fret the index finger is at). 

My sticking point with linknext is that, to me, I understand its intended purpose is to facilitate a 'tie' in music notation.

Linknext isn't strictly meant to behave as a tie, it is a control mechanism in Rocksmith 2014 to render multiple notes with only one note head, such as a note that becomes a slide part-way into the sustain.

Hi guys,

My boy napped for a whopping 7 glorious minutes so I only got to test my hunch of a trend I expressed earlier that linknext fails to remove noteheads on the 2nd chord authored but usually seems to behave better by the 3rd chord. So I tried adding more HOPO's to see if it would enlighten us. Alas, no. The trend not only fails to continue but a new inconsistency arose in the the later HO and PO  note heads don't appear.

Here is a screenshot of my test:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/mrmatonexample-E3withLinknextandHOPO-TestmultipleHOPO_zpsab29724c.png

<note time="37.474" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.277" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="37.474" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.277" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="37.751" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.275" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="37.751" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.275" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="38.029" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="11" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.274" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="38.029" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.274" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="38.306" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.185" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <note time="38.306" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.185" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    <chord time="37.012" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="1" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">		  <chordNote time="37.012" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.462" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="37.012" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="9" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.462" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    </chord>

I'll check out your latest posts more carefully, mrmaton and raynebc and perform your test raynebc tonight around 10pm or 11pm EST.

Cheers!

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

raynebc,

I finally tested your AFTER XML code posted in your earlier post where the chordNotes that had linkNext status are made longer and linknext status removed and the corresponding single note tag is removed.

I think you've hit paydirt! Looks intuitive!

Here is the screenshot in-game:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/raynebc_moddedXML_test_linknexted_made_longer-in-game_zps3c870d72.png

In my earlier post I had thought fine for the orange sustain to break with the the HO and then again with the PO, but even though there are now two simultaneous orange note tails during the HO and PO, I think it looks intuitive that a chord (actually a double stop) be picked and then a HO and PO be executed and essentially with the PO it is as though we are just reverting back to that prevailing 9-9 double stop.

Once you comment on this I can alert the developers on the Github bug report of this new XML and screenshot. Does this mean the EoF workaround you propose could close that portion of the bug report?

Far be it for the student to compliment the teacher, but nonetheless, nice work raynebc!

I guess we'll have to wait for yours and developer feedback for me to know how we will author this  for insertion into the Tech Notes Tutorial.

Hi Berneer/raynebc,@Berneer:Yes, your latest screenshot is my "Happy Place"!!! That's the world I'd like to live in... Sustained chords with hopo's notated... It's a beautiful sight :smile:But I'm lazy, so I'd like that to happen without having to resort to tech notes..Nevertheless, sorry about my screenshot quality, just tried to grab them while the song was running, I don't have a test project or the ability to capture good viewing angles like your works of art!!  :cool:

I'll send you a message with links to my source material...

@@raynebc

Thanks for pointing out linknext's multi-role purpose, I've actually used the linknext/slide function in the exact way you mentioned. Slides at least have the benefit of RS drawing a line telling you where to go, but I don't presume to know how linknext is used on every technique - chord tapping anyone? - so my narrow mindedness limited my perspective to linknext & HoPo's only....

I'll just be happy if I can get it to work in my chart, regardless of what I have to do to achieve it....

Thanks again for addressing it. :cool:

Glad you like the above screenshot mrmaton. Looks promising huh! If raynebc says he's happy with it, I will post the screenshot in the open bug report.

I don't really do anything special with screenshots. I just space out the notes time-wise and hit Prtintscreen button when the sequence of interest comes along. Then I crop in paint, and post.  But thanks... :)

I had a listen to your song and looking at it in EoF (raynebc posted it in the github developer web site, which is what allowed me to easily test his Before and After code that generated the most recent screenshot) and wow, that is not only a very nice song but a highly dense and complex chart! That is one nasty challenging song you have authored! Nicely done!

Fingers crossed that raynebc and the other developers find a nice way to author this. You won't escape tech notes, I think, but really they are a piece of cake once you understand them.

Yes, I look forward to seeing your tab for this CDLC so I can use it.

Good night.

It looks promising. This kind of note combination would have to be done either in the toolkit or in EOF, but it's probably more appropriate for EOF to do this since it's the one writing the XML file. That leaves the hard part of coming up with the right logic to use to identify when two linked notes (ie. the multiple open B notes in the above example) need to be written as one note in the XML file. My best guess is that they should combine only when the notes have the same techniques applied (or in this case no techniques applied), but it may be good to post these findings on the ticket to get some feedback from the toolkit developers.

Wow, if you guys can implement this, it'll open up a whole range of songs.

A lot of the songs I like involve hammering on extensions to chords, but the way Rocksmith displays these -- by renaming the resulting chord and cluttering up the screen with tons of new chord windows -- just doesn't work well.

Hi raynebc,

I have an update on my Fingering mismatch issue between EoF and RS, but don't know if it should be posted in it's own thread since it's not what this thread is primarily about.... (your call if you want to move it)

My chart has multiple instances of an E & B string double stop at the 12th fret, some are within riffs, some are slides into and out of the 12th fret and some are harmonics, so over the course of the song I've used every finger of the fretting hand (1,2,3,4) to accommodate these and entered them manually in EoF.

However, RS still displays finger numbers contrary to what I've assigned in EoF, and it's not consistant, some show my assignments and others ignore my assignments, it seems random...

Other double stops on other strings don't appear to be effected, it's just the E&B strings that are standing out to me, and it's not just the 12th fret, also happens on the 17th at one point.

Are these manual assignments marked as 'overrides' in the xml?

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Do my manual assignments get less priority if I re-generate fret hand positions on the chart???

I'm just stabbing in the dark because it doesn't make sense to me... I expect the manual assignments to override what RS suggests.

Here is one example: 4th finger assigned in EoF, displays as 2nd finger in RS.

Current hand position at this point in the chart is 9th fret - 4th finger should be ideal, shouldn't it??

I don't know, I'd probably have to have the project file to make sure that the XML file generated actually shows that fingering. If you have ANY instance of that 12-12 double stop that uses another fingering, that fingering could end up in use for all instances of that chord. EOF doesn't write a separate chord templates for two identical chords just because the fingering is different. It could be programmed in, but I probably wouldn't bother unless multiple people considered it to be really important.

Each chord instance has to specify the number of the chord template it uses. To edit the XML to have different fingerings for different instances of the same chord, you would have to define a new chord template for each different fingering and use that template's number (which number it is in the chord templates tag, they are numbered starting with 0) whenever you want that chord fingering to be specified in-game. If you do this, it's best to add new chord templates to the end of the templates list, so that it doesn't invalidate the numbering of all the other chords.

ok, thanks for the information....Trying to wrap my head around the format of the XML so I'm gonna look at the pre-DDC version to keep things as simple as possible. 1st Question: Is there a better viewer/editor to use than Notepad for XML's? My Chord Template looks like this:

<chordTemplates count="34">    <chordTemplate chordName="E6" displayName="E6" finger0="2" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="4" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="12" fret1="11" fret2="11" fret3="13" fret4="12" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="2" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="4" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="5" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="6" fret4="-1" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="2" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="4" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="6" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="7" fret4="-1" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="A6" displayName="A6" finger0="2" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="4" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="5" fret1="4" fret2="4" fret3="6" fret4="5" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="" displayName="" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="1" finger4="-1" finger5="1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="12" fret4="-1" fret5="12"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="E" displayName="E" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="3" finger4="-1" finger5="1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="14" fret4="-1" fret5="12"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="3" finger4="3" finger5="3" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="12" fret4="12" fret5="12"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="A" displayName="A" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="1" finger5="1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="10" fret5="10"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="2" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="11" fret3="12" fret4="-1" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="" displayName="" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="4" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="8" fret4="7" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="" displayName="" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="2" finger3="4" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="2" fret3="4" fret4="3" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="0" fret3="0" fret4="0" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="" displayName="" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="3" finger5="1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="9" fret5="7"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="A" displayName="A" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="1" finger5="1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="7" fret5="7"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="2" finger4="2" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="2" fret4="2" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="0" fret3="0" fret4="-1" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="3" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="14" fret4="14" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="1" finger4="1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="12" fret4="12" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="A" displayName="A" finger0="2" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="5" fret1="0" fret2="4" fret3="-1" fret4="-1" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="" displayName="" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="4" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="4" fret3="6" fret4="5" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="0" fret4="0" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="A6" displayName="A6" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="4" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="0" fret2="4" fret3="6" fret4="5" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="EMaj13" displayName="EMaj13" finger0="-1" finger1="1" finger2="3" finger3="2" finger4="4" finger5="4" fret0="-1" fret1="7" fret2="9" fret3="8" fret4="9" fret5="9"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="A6" displayName="A6" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="4" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="4" fret2="4" fret3="6" fret4="5" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="1" finger4="1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="9" fret4="9" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="9" fret3="9" fret4="-1" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="1" finger2="1" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="9" fret2="9" fret3="-1" fret4="-1" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="1" finger5="1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="17" fret5="17"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="  " displayName="  " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="1" finger4="2" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="11" fret4="12" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="1" finger4="2" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="9" fret4="10" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName="" displayName="" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="3" finger4="2" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="11" fret4="10" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="1" finger4="2" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="9" fret3="9" fret4="10" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="3" finger3="3" finger4="3" finger5="-1" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="12" fret3="12" fret4="12" fret5="-1"/>    <chordTemplate chordName=" " displayName=" " finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="2" finger5="2" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="12" fret5="12"/>  </chordTemplates>

And, the double stop I referenced previously is this one in the <chords count="137"> Group:

<chord time="37.727" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="33" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">		  <chordNote time="37.727" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="12" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>		  <chordNote time="37.727" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="12" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>	    </chord>

So, the 'chord time' line makes reference to chordId=33 (which is the 34th of 34 lines) in the template group. Is that right?

And the sub-'chordNote time' lines have tags of interest 'fret=12", lefthand="2"...

Now, I assume the XML is exported by EoF on every save and it would be pointless to modify a current XML with my changes if I'm going to keep working on it in EOF because it'll just overwrite my alterations to the chordtemplates & chordTime groups. Is that correct?

Also, is the 'lefthand=#' tag on the chordNote line defined by the chordtemplate??

I'm wondering if I could just change the '#' to the finger # I want to use without causing a logic-fart to RS.

But if not, then I'd also have to come down to the individual chordtime/chordNote lines and modify not only the ChordId but the lefthand# as well, relative to the new chordId I create at the end of the list. - Is that correct?

Oh, and just scrolling down to the bottom of the XML I see a group called "handShapes" listing the chordId, & start and end times. Will I also have to modify these entries to reflect my new template chordId's?

Thanks again for your help and advise. :smile:

Notepad is probably the least user friendly way to edit XML files, there are probably tons of better XML editors or even text editors that have color formatting (Notepad++ is a likely candidate). I use EditPad Lite, but I don't really do much with XML files except peek at them. If I was in the habit of making lots of manual edits I'd probably spend more time looking for a program more specifically suited to the task.

You're right that chord ID #33 is the last one defined in the templates, since the chord IDs are numbered starting with 0. As you say, the chordNote tags do define the fingering of the chord (the lefthand values), but I don't know what would happen if the chordNote fingerings contradicted the ones defined in the chord template, ie. if you edited the fingering for the chordNote for that chord instance, whether they would override the fingering in the template and show what you wanted it to show. It used to be that EOF only wrote chordNote tags for chord changes or for chords that had certain techniques, but the community determined that more problems were resolved by having chordNote tags be written for every chord. If it would actually work, I could just have EOF define the individually defined fingerings on a per-chord basis instead of just using the ones in the chord template. I'd like multiple people to test that out before I changed the code though, just to make sure it doesn't cause any wild problems with Rocksmith. The handshape tags also have an effect on chord boxes, it would probably take some testing to know for sure whether the chordNote fingering takes precedence over the fingering in whatever chord template the handshape invoked.

EOF does overwrite the XML files every time you save the project, so it is a hassle to have to re-edit them after each save. So it's best to only edit to test stuff out, and then when finished, make edits then if you want to. Usually this would only be necessary in very specific circumstances if you wanted it to behave differently than EOF would allow, like different fingerings for the same chord, or combining multiple consecutive, linked notes into a single note.

OK, thanks for all that.I'll test it out... What's the worst that can happen :shock:

Off topic once again, I'm collecting a large number of .undo / .redo files in my EoF main folder (505 currently), I don't really need these once I end the EoF program do I?

I mean, I can't open a project and start doing "undo's" from the last time I was in EoF, can I??

Hi @@raynebc and @@Alex360

I'd like to apologize to raynebc and Alex360 for my inconsistent participation in our community. Just tough to always stay on top of things for me with all I've got going on, which makes me respect you both even more for managing to do it! THANK-YOU! As a result of me not noticing, let alone answering, the above post from raynebc to revive the issues, Alex360 was not alerted that he was closing GitHub Issue #153 on April 4, 2015 despite it being unresolved. I don't blame you Alex for closing it, since I neglected to push for any status updates, assuming the issue was in queue at a low priority.  :)  The basic issue was the need from @@mrmaton and @@cstewart to apply a HO and/or PO on only one string or a subset of strings of a chord while the remaining strings continue to sustain.

I summarize this whole issue in the Tech Notes Tutorial Figures 9 to 11 and the text surrounding those figures in Question 11, which is the question dealing with "Tech Note known limitations". At around Hotfix 1300, raynebc introduced the "LinkNext tech note" to serve a dual purpose of a) turning the subsequent chord following a LinkNext tech note into single notes rather than chordnotes in the XML and removing the note head on a subsequent note. The issue was that with this new LinkNext tech note, the note head randomly showed up in-game when it should have not appeared and other times the LinkNext worked as expected, removing the subsequent note head. In the GitHub ticket #153, in the 3rd to last post, (as well as in Post #21 here), I  presented an observation of a failure pattern that seemed to indicate that only the second note head our of several behaved undesirably, but we didn't dwell on it because raynebc found a neat solution which he believed he could possibly implement in EoF. This solution was introduced in Post #29 of this thread and tested by myself in Post#31. The reason it was not implemented, I presume, is because we never got feedback from the Toolkit Developer's with regards to raynebc's implementation questions in Post #34 of this thread.

So that's the background in a nutshell.

Now that I am authoring a CDLC again, this issue has just resurfaced for me.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/HOPOonSomeStringsOfChord-GitHubIssue153/SatS%20Intro%20single%20string%20HO%20on%20chord%20-%20Question%20GitHubIssue153_zpsnph4ryii.png

EoF Output (my full XML here)

<chord time="4.563" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="0" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="4.563" linkNext="1" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.227" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
   <chordNote time="4.563" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>

<note time="4.793" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="1.845" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
<note time="4.793" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="1" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="1.845" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>

Tweaked XML (My full tweaked XML here)

<chord time="4.563" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="0" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
  <chordNote time="4.563" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="1.800" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
  <chordNote time="4.563" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
</chord>

<note time="4.793" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="1" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="1" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="1.845" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>

The only change made was "The chordNotes that had linkNext status are made longer  and the corresponding single note tag is removed. " (Direct quote from raynebc in Post 29.   :) ) I simply extended the sustain of the chordnote to approach the next  note in the chart.

Given my CDLC's openB string anti-intuitive charting, ideally we'd get LinkNext to work and for the sustain to stop as the HO kicks in, which is depicted in my first image at the top of this post. I will try manipulating the XML manually a bit more to see if I can achieve this since the perfect solution you intended to incorporate into EoF is great providing there are no open strings upon which a HO is applied..... Any ideas? If not so be it... it shouldn't stop the wide appeal of this solution's implementation.

Your sendspace project, raynebc, with initial solution you created in March 2014 in Post #29 of this thread is now a dead link so I will post here a link to the pre- and post- XML tweaks of the MrMaton solution you conconcted which generated this. It occurs at approx. the 14 second mark in the XML.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/SmithyAnvilStuff/Authoring%20chord%20with%20some%20linknext%20and%20some%20HOPO/raynebc_moddedXML_test_linknexted_made_longer-in-game_zps3c870d72.png

Looking at this image I am wondering if  the "handshape" marking will possibly extend the lateral blue highlights to show that the chord must continue ringing during ther HOPO. I'll tinker with this too and report my findings here when I find time.

@@fabianosan initially wanted to make sure this request was doable in RS by way of an example using ODLC, but I'm afraid I've run out of time to search, but what I can provide is a YouTube video of my current custom (tab here) in which the intro from the beginning to the 1:30ish mark is all about those HO's on one string of a chord and it sounds so awesome that I'm pretty sure it's gotta be found in many songs. Just an example. If someone wants to make a D-Dsus4-D progression, which is common, that could benefit from this logic raynebc proposed.

Shall we re-open Github Issue #153 or wait till raynebc confirms the implementation of his solution?

Fingers crossed we solve this in the short term. Would really be cool to have this! Including in my custom.... ;)

Thanks again guys!!

I think once I have to add the Let Ring open A string from my CDLC's  tab, that's also going to be problematic... we'll see what combination ghostnotes/handshapes/crazy status might be able to achieve... :sunglasses:

Disclaimer: I didn't have time to reread mrmaton's peripheral questions peppered throughout this thread so I am only addressing here the orginal issue as documented in GitHub Issue #153.

Let me know how I can help you test anything to spare you any effort possible. Thanks!

• Administrator

Well let's get back to how the official do it at the moment :

The next two are doing it in the simplest way ever : Get rid of the sustain, with a good handshape indication which is not too complicated to do nowadays in EOF you can get a clean looking chart with ho/po inside chord.

The intro riff here :

or the acoustic riff of this one :

But there's also the riff at 54 seconds that use the sustain on the high e string while there ho/po on the b string :

I don't have acces to the file right now, but i do own all those DLC if you guys want to take a look at it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Thanks firekorn. You seem very well versed in ODLC, unlike me who buys tons but forgets to play them, and that is very valuable that you remember these so well. I'll buy these CDLC and examine them and their XML's more closely as soon as I get a chance. I'd like to try to test how to do the last video's high open e string sustain over the B string  HOPO.

So nothing new to report yet since I just finally found time to investigate but I bought the CDLC Firekorn showed us and I've unpacked them to show the underlying code for those sections of interest in case we choose to work in parallel to resolve this:

Video 1: Slash featuring Myles Kennedey - Back from Cali

The code below shows the 1st occurrence of chord followed by HO (2nd chord of the chart) - Approx 3s mark in Firekorn's link.

! Chord ID 1
<chordTemplate displayName="" chordName="" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="4" fret3="2" fret4="-1" fret5="-1" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="3" finger3="1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" />
! Chord ID 3 --> Interestingly fret4="0" so it has a chord handshape despite being a single note. I guess that's typical of the handshape marking function
<chordTemplate displayName="" chordName="" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="4" fret4="0" fret5="-1" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="4" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" />
! Hammer On
<note time="14.854" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="4" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="4" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
! Nothing special here
<chord time="14.623" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="1" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="up">
  <chordNote time="14.623" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="4" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
  <chordNote time="14.623" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
</chord>
<handShape chordId="1" endTime="14.797" startTime="14.623" />
<handShape chordId="3" endTime="15.49" startTime="14.854" />

Video 2: Tenacious D - Tribute

I'm not sure I understood the Tenacious D - Tribute example , so I haven't explored it yet.

Video 3: Tenacious D - The Metal

The code below shows the 1st occurrence of a sustained HiE0+B12 following by HO to B13, PO to B12, PO to B10 - Approx 54s mark in Firekorn's link.

• Link to complete Lead XML
  • EoF Import - out of curiosity  if it would import fully (which it didn't: ex: no handshapes) and just to get time stamp of sequence of interesthttp://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/HOPOonSomeStringsOfChord-GitHubIssue153/Tenacious%20D%20-%20The%20Metal%20-%20EoF%20XML%20Import_zpsn7vtajjo.png
<chordTemplate displayName="" chordName="" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="12" fret5="0" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="3" finger5="-1" />
<chordTemplate displayName="" chordName="" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="10" fret5="-1" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="1" finger5="-1" />
<chordTemplate displayName="" chordName="" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="-1" fret3="-1" fret4="13" fret5="-1" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="-1" finger3="-1" finger4="4" finger5="-1" />
! No open Hi E string <note> tags! --" OK, OK I found the open E note tag!!!
<note time="64.382" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="5" sustain="0.409" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
<note time="64.382" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="12" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
<note time="64.519" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="13" hammerOn="1" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
<note time="64.655" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="12" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
<note time="64.791" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="10" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="1" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
! No corresponding <chordNote> tags!
!Sets FHP
<anchor time="63.565" fret="10" width="4" />
<handShape chordId="11" endTime="64.451" startTime="64.382" />
<handShape chordId="13" endTime="64.587" startTime="64.519" />
<handShape chordId="11" endTime="64.723" startTime="64.655" />
<handShape chordId="12" endTime="64.859" startTime="64.791" />

EDIT

For the life of me I cannot find anywhere in any of the difficulty levels, any <chordnote> tags corresponding to that these time stamps between 64.382 and 64.859. Amazingly the single notes only chart the B-string HOPO's. No sign anywhere of an open high e string other than in ChordID=11..... Can just a <chordId> tag author a note without a corresponding <note> or <chord> tag??? I'm really surprised. Nevermind I found it! þlus it makes sense there are no chord tags since the there are no chord boxes in this sequence. I copied just the code above into a empty template XML and it authors exactly as we see in You Tube, as shown in the image below. So nothing surprising here except maybe how to author that as is in EoF. 

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/HOPOonSomeStringsOfChord-GitHubIssue153/Author%20Tenacious%20D%20The%20Metal%2053s_zpsg2dbywiz.png

In the coming days will continue exploring the following:

1) try to author in EoF the Tenacious D - The Metal sequence (via EoF)

2) See if I can make a continuous handshape marking (via EoF or tweaking XML)

3) Author the Slash - Back from Cali sequence (via EoF)

4) Take raynebc's solution to the Mr.Maton example and apply it to my Blaze custom and see if various effects in EoF or tweaks of the XML can provide desireable authoring (Will play with LinkNext  and LinkNext tech note, play with sustain, unaligning notes by a couple of milliseconds, adding ghost notes and handshape markings, etc).

Sorry for the delay in testing. Few days ago had to reinstall Windows 8 because EoF Hotfix later than November 2 wasn't loading. Now with a fresh re-install and 3 days later of getting setup, now Rocksmith won't load-up after my every attempt to install/reboot/uninstall and then doing the same with Steam.... Sooooo frustrating!! Of course Uplay support is slow as heck... Murphy's Law in action! Hopefully I'll find something meaningful this week.

Berneer, I think the problem is DirectX.  You need to run the dxsetup from the Rocksmith DVD.

I had problems getting Rocksmith working on various machines (laptops, builds out of old pc parts) and it always worked after I ran the dxsetup from the Rocksmith 2014 DVD or even a newer dxsetup (like the one that comes on GTA5 DVD).

It tends to happen after a fresh WIndows install and Rocksmith is the first thing you try to play.

I am sure you can download dxsetups from Microsoft, but its far easier using on disk versions if you have any games lying around.

Dunno about EoF though, that's maybe some kind of windows update.  I've never used Windows 8 but I'm sure there were a lot of problems with Win8 and EoF at one time or another.

Also, I actually looked at this thread cause I had some success last night with slides and tech notes.  I'll post some pics later when I can get on my own pc.