Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 103

Mortalo

Who? Testament? Never heard of (honestly never).

Anthrax is awesome :P!

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

So, it turns out masterclass is hard.  My first run through in LAS was somewhere in the low 60% range (didn't screenshot for obvious reasons), which was actually surprising given how horribly I played it.  Where does Rags and Bones (just for bass) rank on the MC difficulty spectrum?

I haven't done a full run through the song since, but I've more or less gotten everything up to 80-85% speed in RR, with a handful of misses here and there.  Getting the main groove up to speed is going to take a lot of of work though.  And even then, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to hit 80% overall accuracy with the power chord sections killing my fretting hand as much as they do.  Hopefully I can build up some endurance for that/stop fretting so hard by the end of the week though.

• Like 4

@@Bentron - I'd say this is on the harder end (but nowhere near the hardest, which usually have lots of special techniques) of MC bass.

The main riff isn't especially tricky, but it's fast and easy to mess up a bit on it, and it's definitely not a "gimme" (speaking of which, I would say this song doesn't really have any gimmes, which is part of why it's harder than many songs. Even on MC, almost every song has easy bits here or there). And it's harder when you move it down an octave because of the greater fret spacing.

I find the part with chords to be somewhat difficult, but not too bad. If it were much faster it would be a disaster (at least for playing with my fingers), but as it is I can play it reasonably comfortably. Again, that's not to say I won't mess it up a bunch throughout the song. Just, I don't feel helpless when I get to those sections.

The thing that really gives me trouble is the DGFDGF... riff. I'm not particularly good at raking, but I've gotten it to the point where I can hit it with a comfortable plucking pattern using raking at 100% speed. Just not consistently, and usually not when in score attack. It might also be worth thinking about playing this riff elsewhere. Perhaps in the 12-15 position with your pinky fretting the F (perhaps a bit easier on the fretting hand, but still hard on the plucking hand). Another idea would be to use that same position and fret it all on one string (17-15-12-17-15-12..., which I think should be within reach), or if not, then moving way up and doing it on the A string where you can reach everything on one string in the 17-22 position (way easier on the plucking hand, different kind of difficulty for the fretting hand). By moving around you might also invite more misses as you transition back to the main riff.

I remember one other riff, but I think that one was pretty easy. 

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

another way to play this riff is just play it where it is and play with pull offs, so every string needs to be plucked only once.

YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Well, I guess it's reassuring that this isn't an easy week for MC at least.  I definitely feels like a bigger jump in difficulty than between intermediate and advanced though.

I think I agree about he chord sections.  They don't feel super challenging technically or anything.  It's more that I just never use those muscles, so my hand gets fatigued really quickly.

The thing that really gives me trouble is the DGFDGF... riff. I'm not particularly good at raking, but I've gotten it to the point where I can hit it with a comfortable plucking pattern using raking at 100% speed. Just not consistently, and usually not when in score attack. It might also be worth thinking about playing this riff elsewhere. Perhaps in the 12-15 position with your pinky fretting the F (perhaps a bit easier on the fretting hand, but still hard on the plucking hand). Another idea would be to use that same position and fret it all on one string (17-15-12-17-15-12..., which I think should be within reach), or if not, then moving way up and doing it on the A string where you can reach everything on one string in the 17-22 position (way easier on the plucking hand, different kind of difficulty for the fretting hand). By moving around you might also invite more misses as you transition back to the main riff.

That riff definitely seem like a nightmare at first.  But once I started thinking about it as GFDGFD with the first D as a pickup note, it just sort of clicked for me.  The plucking pattern made way more sense after that for some reason.  I don't remember if I've tried it at full speed yet, but out of the whole song, that riff is probably the one I'm least worried about at the moment.

Transposing to a different string could work, but I know it goes directly into the main groove again in at least one place.  Making that shift back in time might be a bit tough, especially from the 15/17/22 range.

After another hour in RR, What You Know on bass is up to 99+%

It's time to give the advanced and master class bass tunes a listen to see which seems like more fun.

• Like 4

"Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my own way to be free" Leonard Cohen - RIP

Peek inside 2groggy's basement FreeBird Laboratory (not for the faint of heart)

Tobias Bass VI      SG shaped Bass VI     Hollow Acoustic Thunderbird 5     Hollow Archtop Bass VI

Harlequin Hollow Archtop Bass     Hollow Toby Bass VI     Starcaster Bass     A trio of hollow archtops (new)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/30ijexs.jpg

While commercially Anthrax did better than Testament, Testament is the 5th member of the Big 4 Thrash bands, no doubt...

This is not their usual sound though, go listen to Practice What You Preach, they're a much more groove centered Thrash band, and Chuck has such a brutal and amazing voice that isnt apparent in this song at all...

and the show i saw earlier this year was still kick ass, and probably the only Thrash band to get better with age(my opinion)

• Like 6

Many nice scores on all songs :)

@ - But then you'd be cheating!  :P

But seriously, at what point would you consider using legato to be "cheating"? It definitely does sound different, and it's usually easier, but at least you are playing only the right notes, unlike some other ways of gaming the system.

Anyway, regarding that riff, I plan to learn to play it cleanly as many ways as I can. With raking, with hopo, along one string, maybe even tapping!

Regarding Testament, they had some really good albums, and overall they were much more consistent than Anthrax. I really do like Anthrax (even their weirder shit), but I've sort of felt their inclusion in the Big 4 just happened because they were there early, before bands like Testament, Exodus, Kreator, Overkill, and the like. Then again, I wasn't really into thrash, or alive, back in the early-mid 80s, so things might have looked different back then.

Been a while since I've listened to them, though. I think my brother had "The Legacy" and maybe one or two of their older albums, and I think he got "The Gathering" and maybe even "First Strike Still Deadly" when they came out. Probably haven't really listened to them in 12 years, though.

• Like 1

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

today Lead

http://up.picr.de/23378355sz.jpg

and this before was a good warm up

http://up.picr.de/23378356rc.jpg

http://up.picr.de/23378358bm.jpg

• Like 3
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Big 4 talk?

:D

Slayer and Anthrax (supported by Kvelertak (!) ) @Gasometer Vienna Nov 7th

Me is surely there!!!

• Like 2

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

Two door down cinema club, possibly my favourite bass line so far since Ska-P Tio Sam. Whomever picked this tune, thankyou! It's so flippin' fun to play :)

• Like 3

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

To ALL. We need more a songs in SSL for Adv and MC Bass, please check SSl, and add something cool. And if who can`t find your chosen cdlc, check tab with extra list (cdlc moved, bcf of not approved for CS).

We need something like this :) (don`t miss continue battle, it yet more cool)

• Like 6

I will follow Motive with: WE NEED SOME EASY RHYTHM SONGS!!!!!! in SSL.

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

first runs lead...

did i say i hate dd lately?

no idea why i got downleveled...

http://i58.tinypic.com/2q401mu.jpg

wtf

movin to sa

• Like 3

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

ah, yes...

in general:

put the songs you like to play into SSL, and add diff ratings to all songs!!!

great tune...

completely unknown until today to me

http://i58.tinypic.com/o7o7qd.jpg

• Like 1

Ok. Follow next rules:

CDLC in SSL must have:

1 At least Guitar(lead or rhythm)+Bass path (exclude a songs for only guitar and only bass - this add in to splitted tabs "Only Guitar" and "Only bass")

2. Working RR with sections.

3. Enough good tones, does not cause bleeding from the ears.

4. Tuning. For Beginner >=D standard (E,dropD, Eb, D) Intermediate >=D dropC, Advanced >=C standard, MC any.

• Like 5

finally can make that sound good :)

http://i59.tinypic.com/25qglyc.jpg

on fire

http://i57.tinypic.com/29gc1dy.jpg

• Like 2

Two door down cinema club, possibly my favourite bass line so far since Ska-P Tio Sam. Whomever picked this tune, thankyou! It's so flippin' fun to play :)

Let's see some scores then… :p

I've been a bit lapse and haven't even tried the other songs yet, but once again you're inspiring me to give them a go.

• Like 1

Let's see some scores then… :P

I've been a bit lapse and haven't even tried the other songs yet, but once again you're inspiring me to give them a go.

I'm back on it now, only had a few minutes this afternoon to try a couple out myself but scores will be posted soonish! :) Glad I'm being slightly useful in here, very flattered my attempts are inspiring you :)

• Like 1

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony