New Guitar Advice

xxKryptonite

Hello All,

So I have been playing guitar for a while but really picked it up when I started playing rocksmith.  I have been using an extremely cheap Yamaha guitar (roughly $100) and I am thinking it is time for an upgrade.  My main hesitation is that I really only play rocksmith and that is it and my cheap guitar seems to the job just fine.  The main thing I think I would enjoy is longer sustains as my guitar fades quickly.

So my question is, is there a significant benefit to using a nicer guitar with rocksmith when compared to cheap one?

Any input appreciated, thanks.

You don't have to pay a lot for a descent guitar. I'm using a cort g254, wich was about $300 when I bought it like 4 years ago and does the job just fine. I would say you can find a descent one within the $300-500 price range. Even if you only play rocksmith I think it's worth the investment. Cheap $100 guitars are usually not that good, but fine when you just get started and don't know if you want to stick to playing guitar.

Buy! Buy! Buy!  I'm a beginner who didn't start playing until 2 years ago when I picked up Rocksmith.  I've had 3 big jumps in how frequently I played (and subsequently how much better I got).  My first step was getting my own bass.  I was borrowing a friends 5 string for the first several months and I just couldn't get the hang of it.  Bought my own bass, a very nice starting bass and that got me playing much more because I wanted to pick up the instrument.  The second and probably biggest jump was getting an amp and using that to hear my playing instead of through the game.  If you haven't done that I highly recommend it.  It is a whole different ballgame when you can clearly hear your own tone etc. set aside from the rest of the music.  Bass is totally turned off in the game and all i hear is my amp and it really helped me understand the instrument better - something you don't get through the game produced tones.  The last jump just happened a month ago.  I upgraded my bass (ironically - it was cheaper than my original one but it is used and I knew what to look for now) and having a higher quality instrument has gotten me picking it up all the time and playing with & without Rocksmith.  I'll grab it and play for 10 mins just because I walked by from one room to the next.  Anything that gets you playing more is going to make you a better player and give you more enjoyment.  

• Like 2

@@xxKryptonite I'm in the same situation as you right now. Since i started with Rocksmith i used that cheap Les Paul Junior Guitar that was included in the bundle. I didn't know if it was a good one or not. But over the time i found issues with this guitar like some screws were loose, some nutlocks were loose and some too tight, the bridge had some issues too and stuff and so i thought, i would love to have a beauty like a Schecter Hellraiser, but then on the other Hand i wouldn't use it right or even play right. Because as you can imagine i can't play solos at all and it would be a waste of money and the guitar would just get abused by me, literally...

So a few days ago, i bought online a Schecter C-6 Deluxe for € 287,82 (i know it's a weird number...) but i bought it at gear4music.com in the UK. And i'm freaking out like a little kid right now, i can't remember when i last was this excited. Well i had to push the delivery to the 25th of october for some reasons tho. Still can't wait to get my hands on this Guitar and take care of it.

I can't tell you how it will be with this guitar but if you want to i'll keep you updated how i will end up with the Schecter C-6 Deluxe[emoji1]

I'm hoping for a better sliding performance with the thin C Neck tho and the low profile between the strings and the fretboars [emoji111]

A new guitar will likely be easier to play than your current one, also it can be a great motivator to practice more !

You don't have to spend that much these days to get a great instrument, get yourself down to your local guitar shop and try out a bunch of different guitars and see what feels good, that's the only way you'll know if it's worth the extra investment.

Best of luck :)

Definitely buy/save up for a new guitar, especially if you're getting more serious with practice. Decent ones usually start at $300ish. There's always used ones if you have a friend or someone with you that really knows what to look for. My friend lent me his guitar to start with until I was able to decide how serious I was going to be, so I was fortunate to skip that phase. I started poking around guitar shops and the internet looking for my first one and all I knew was it had to be a red Les Paul. It took me half a year of looking before I found my dream guitar, a used 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Cherry Burst.

Just make sure to look out for these things when you're looking around. Get something that looks visually appealing to you that will make you want to play it every time you look at it; it'll help you keep up with regular practice. If you don't know where to start in a massive guitar wall, visit your local, friendly guitar shop and ask to see if you can pick up guitars at random and try them out. Pick different body shapes out and narrow it down by how comfortable it is to play/hold.

I would just upgrade your hardware and electronics. I don't know what you kind of guitar you have now, but for a few hundred bucks spent on hardware you would probably end up with a much better guitar than you would get for the same price. Plus you get the added bonus of knowing how your guitar works.

Thanks for all the advice!

I guess I should have mentioned my current model.  It is a Yamaha  EG 112C (Picture Here).  The front pickup doesn't even work any more lol.  I think that is a wiring issue.

I am debating going all out on a gibson les paul or going cheaper with the epiphone Les Paul but I am keeping a lookout for a used one for a bit.

If your current guitar is set up well, then it's probably fine for Rocksmith use.

However, a new guitar is a great motivator. I say, if you've got the cash, go for it!  :)

I found Les Pauls very heavy and went for an SG.. Whatever you choose, try it out in store first!

Second thing I'd say is that once you've got a nice guitar...... you're going to want another. Bear that in mind when choosing what you want!  :)

Thanks for all the advice!

I guess I should have mentioned my current model.  It is a Yamaha  EG 112C (Picture Here).  The front pickup doesn't even work any more lol.  I think that is a wiring issue.

I am debating going all out on a gibson les paul or going cheaper with the epiphone Les Paul but I am keeping a lookout for a used one for a bit.

Definitely try the Epiphone LP's. The Standard plustop and Traditional Pro are solid, reliable(well, there's the traditional Epiphone cheapo switch issue, but it should be a few years before that becomes an issue). For the price, they're difficult to beat - as long as that's the sound and feel you're going for.

EDIT: Also, if you like your Yamaha, have a look at the new Variax Standard. The gubbinz are all Line6, but the body and neck are Yamaha, and they're a pretty good buy - again, if you like the feel and sound.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Kryptonite,

I not well versed enough to offer hardware specific advice, but something I realized is I no longer subscribe to the philosophy of "buy a starter hardware". Without necessarily breaking the bank, I think, why add more obstacles to the learning curve when the most fragile part of learning (the beginning), is the perfect time to be wowed. Sure some features and nuances will fly above a beginner or intermediate player's head, but isn't it reassuring when you know you are the sole culprit when facing a challenge?

I could only imagine that under a certain price a hardware cannot be manufactured to exacting standards.

As a kid I took violin lessons. My dad obviously bought me an economical $300 violin. It felt fine since I didn't know any better. Then my teacher let me try hers, and that thing sounded like gold and sang out and resounded like the Sirens in Ulysses. Even her expensive bow slid on the expensive strings majestically.

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Schecter Sgr 7 string. Black. Do you guys have any suggestions on custom Black I should get. The guitar as is has a muddy tone to it. It's be intonated by a Luthier and has pretty thick gauge strings. I just really wish I could get crisper lows and highs.

I'm creating cdlc's cool...It may not be easy but slowly I'll get there...Thank you to this great community.

http://customsforge.com/topic/24341-matts-cdlcs-make-suggestions-as-well/?do=findComment&comment=186466

• 3 months later...

I started out on the bottom of the line Epiphone Les Paul that I got for $169 bundled with the game and cable, so it is a really cheap guitar. When I upgraded to a used Gibson SG with cosmetic damage (scratches & stuff) my play improved a ton. It is soooo much easier to play a good quality guitar that your play should improve a lot. I got the used Gibson SG for $399 at a local guitar store. If your budget is not that big still keep a lookout for a good used guitar. The local shop here sells most of their used stuff for about 60% of retail and it if has cosmetic damage even cheaper than that. Look around you may find a used good guitar at a great price. To me a better guitar is worth it.

Epiphone makes some good guitars when you move up in their model line so don't be afraid of a good used Epi.

I play at least an hour a day so for me the price of a good guitar was worth the investment. Where else can you get an hour of great fun and entertainment for a little over $1 a day over the course of a year?

My Youtube channel is basically a list of Rocksmith's easiest songs because those are the only ones I can play.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMV9RfoApHM5Zmi1CobqTJw

I've been playing a Yamaha bass that I got with a gig bag on sale for $50 in a pawn shop, and it sounds great. I have been drooling over a Dean Metalman 2A Z for a while now though. I'd love to get one and have it set up specificly for low tunings and keep my Yamaha set up for high tunings. I just love that explorer body style, the skull knobs and buzz saw inlays are just icing on the cake :D

My Customs and DD's

Current Projects:

Suffocation

• 1 year later...

If you wanna go Fender? The Squire Classic Vibes are great without breaking the bank.

There are several reviews and tone samples at YouTube.

But whatever guitar you will get in the end? Swap the strings and have a luthier to set the guitar up right away.

That will likely save you from some problems later on.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to throw in here, that as long as you go with a bigger name, even their cheap lines are actually decent.  It is 2017 some of the most important aspects of a guitar are done by a machine.. meaning it really is no different than a more expensive guitar outside of the wood, hardware, and pups.. cause the body and neck are all CNC.

Honestly, I recently picked up a C-1 by SGR from Amazon for 100 bucks-- used--  200 normally, and it is amazing.  My tone knob wasn't tightened down and is kind of rough turning it.. but I just need to take the top off, tighten it into place, and that should be that.  

What I am getting at is.. find a guitar that YOU personally really like the look of.  Obviously if you try it and don't like the feel or sound, there is that.. but if you like the look of the guitar you will want it to be in your hands- meaning you're practicing.. at least I hope you aren't just sitting there with it in your hands admiring the looks alone.

If you like the guitar you have, you can try changing strings, setting it back up, ensuring that frets are level and smooth, make sure the joint between the neck and the body is solid.  Outside of that, changing pups.