Correct Way to List Database Entries Using THE

PC Plum

Question

Bit confused...

When the place started we all sort of got together and decided to call things Band Name, The.

But The Stone Roses official DLC is listed as "The Stone Roses".

I am about to update a Stone Roses song of mine and not really interested in changing the Stone Roses, The listing status (as it will remain with all the other CDLC) and I am wondering on the official CF way of listing bands with "The" as the first word?

8 answers to this question

I wasn't around anywhere near the beginning of CustomsForge when these policies were set, but The Rolling Stones have been in Rocksmith (and Rocksmith 2014 for anyone with the disc import tool or whatever) as "The Rolling Stones" from the beginning, right?

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• Administrator

RS offcial DLC are list with the "The" where it should be in the artist name but it isn't used in the sorting decision which makes The Stone Roses appear on the letter S and not T, same for the The Rolling Stones that appear on R and not T.

I don't know who magically decided Band name, The was the right way but it's clearly not the RS devs way.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I meant listing in the CF database not in game.  I know it should order as "S" in game, which makes sense.

What does not make sense is having official DLC listed in the CF database under "The", which is the opposite of how the game works and how every other Stone Roses song is listed in the database.

On further reading, however, it seems that most Rolling Stones database entries are listed as "The Rolling Stones" (albeit with some random permutations amongst the entries).

So my question relates to the CF database not the game, and I am just curious to find out if there is a preferred CF etiquette for listing bands with "The" in the title in the CF database?

I am going to go with "The Stone Roses" is correct and "Stone Roses, The" is wrong.  I am also going to say that UK Looney made me do it :D

• Administrator

In the DB so far there's no rule set for that.

It's true that indicating the "the" in front of the name make the artist appear in the T category instead of the letter that it will be shown under in RS

The most important point is that everyone stick to the same notation to avoid artist being listed twice in the artist list inside Ignition and so far official DLC posted have the "the" put in front so i would suggest to follow that notation first to avoid duplicate artist listing.

I'll report that to the ignition dev for the next version to take that into consideration to try to match RS display if possible.

Note that this doesn't really matter for the search function anyway :D

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

How should customs by The The be filed then?

(I'll get my coat)

I chart BASS PARTS ONLY. Requests for guitar parts will be ignored. I hope that is clear. 

Twitter updates: @jamesprestonuk

Donations: https://paypal.me/jamesprestonuk?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB (thank you!)

• Administrator

I would suggest to use the same way it's entered for official (ex : The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, etc.) to avoid duplicate artist name in the list.

I've put the word about it to the Ignition Dev and we'll see how it's gonna be managed in the next version ;)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Developer

@@Darrken summarized the use of "The" and "A" very well here

The CDLC files store two sets of data for Song and Artist:
Song Title
Song Title Sort
Artist
Artist Sort

The Sort fields determine where the song/artist appears within the game when you're browsing through the list of songs. For this reason I use the Sort fields when renaming the files. If, for example, you had a CDLC file for The Cure song "A Forest", here's what it might look like:
Metadata
Song Title: A Forest
Song Title Sort: Forest
Artist: The Cure
Artist Sort: Cure

The toolkit accommodates the above naming method in the Creator tab.  Look for "Song Title Sort" and "Artist Sort" fields in the Song Information group box.  Here's where "The Beatles"  can become "Beatles, The" or just "Beatles" if you are so inclined.

• Like 1

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.