RSToolKit not working on Mac after El Capitan installed

gomer11

Question

I am no longer able to launch the RSToolKit as I get a pop up window that says I need to install Mono. I did it again (it was installed previously) and even tried the El Capitan preview version of Mono to no avail. The Wineskin wrapped version of the kit I have no longer launches either as it's having an issue with X11. 

All worked perfectly before the update to El Capitan. Anyone else able to launch the kit on Mac with El Capitan? Just curious if it's something specific to my system. 

17 answers to this question

No, it's not working.  I posted a note about it in the "How To Use Customs On Mac" thread.

@@Alex360 has been trying to edit the code to get it working, but so far has been unsuccessful.

Part of the problem is that Apple has made changes to the framework of OS X El Capitan that no longer allows users to write or install things in the /usr/bin, which is where Mono is usually installed.

Although you've reinstalled Mono, it hasn't actually been installed on your system.  You can verify by opening Terminal and typing in "which mono".  Instead of displaying the location of the mono installation, it will show nothing.  You can also just type "mono" which will tell you that the command cannot be found.

This is because the installer for Mono is broken as well, and actually fails during the installation without giving an error.  I can give you instructions on how to get Mono installed properly if you'd like, but the Toolkit still will not work afterwards.

• Like 2

I see. Thanks for the clarification and offer of assistance. I only used Mono for the tool kit so I don't really need to install it if it's not going to make the kit work. In fact, I really liked using the Wineskin version as it was much more stable. Apparently for that to work on El Capitan something with X11 needs to be set to rootless but I have no idea what that is or how to do that. I'll look into it.

Thanks again. Hopefully some of the amazing creators here will have pity on us Mac folks until this gets sorted and make Mac versions of their uploads. (the ones that don't already)

I never found the Wineskin version to be that stable.  Most of the features didn't work either.  It was also over 1gb in size, instead of a few MB.

I had no problems running the Toolkit on Yosemite, and found it perfectly stable.

Anyway, it shouldn't take too long for the Toolkit's code to get corrected.  It's not actually the Toolkit itself, but the script used to call Mono and launch it.  The problem is basically that Mono is now being installed into a different spot.

On a side note, I think it should be part of the rules that each charter upload their customs for both Mac and PC.  Usually though, if you ask the charters they'll upload a Mac version.  Or you might get lucky and another user will upload one for you.

@@gomer11, just wanted to let you know that I got the Toolkit working on El Capitan myself.  I'll be posting instructions on how to do it soon.

** Edit **

The instructions are now posted here:

http://customsforge.com/topic/10547-how-to-add-custom-songs-on-mac/

Let me know if they're clear enough, and easy to follow.  The steps require using Terminal to create a directory and change the permissions on another.  Hopefully I made it easy enough to follow.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for doing that. It is now working. I didn't even need to to do any of the terminal commands other than typing "mono" initially. You're a wizard. :)

Thanks for confirming.  They must have fixed the Mono installation package then.  I'll take that part out of the instructions.

Thanks so much for doing that. It is now working. I didn't even need to to do any of the terminal commands other than typing "mono" initially. You're a wizard. :)

Thanks for confirming.  They must have fixed the Mono installation package then.  I'll take that part out of the instructions.

Just to provide some further feedback, I just used the kit for the first time to convert a few files from PC to Mac. The kit worked for two and then froze up and needed to be force quit. (in fact I see now that the only way to quit is the force quit even if you just open it and do nothing) The icon in the dock turned into a weird, white smudge, almost like a scrambled TV, and no longer showed the guitar icon. The two files I converted were Alkaline Trio - Armageddon and Helmet - Pure if you want to attempt to duplicate. 

I can certainly work around this as all I really do is conversions but, I wanted to let you guys know what I am experiencing. Thanks again for all the help. If I can do any specific testing for you guys, just let me know and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Just to provide some further feedback, I just used the kit for the first time to convert a few files from PC to Mac. The kit worked for two and then froze up and needed to be force quit. (in fact I see now that the only way to quit is the force quit even if you just open it and do nothing) The icon in the dock turned into a weird, white smudge, almost like a scrambled TV, and no longer showed the guitar icon. The two files I converted were Alkaline Trio - Armageddon and Helmet - Pure if you want to attempt to duplicate. 

I can certainly work around this as all I really do is conversions but, I wanted to let you guys know what I am experiencing. Thanks again for all the help. If I can do any specific testing for you guys, just let me know and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

The icon changing is normal.  It's done that for the last 15 or so versions.  To quit the Toolkit, you have to hit exit in the file menu of the actual Toolkit.  Hitting cmd-Q doesn't work.

I tried both of those files, and both converted without issue for me.  However, after successfully converting another file afterwards it crashed immediately and closed.

Not sure if the problem is with any of those files, or just a problem with the Toolkit itself.  I'll do some investigating and see.  Previously I had been using an older revision of the Toolkit that had been stable and working for a long time.

Since most of the creation tools in the Toolkit don't work on Mac anyway, I tend not to update the Toolkit so long as converting and extracting tabs still works.

• Like 1

'I tried both of those files, and both converted without issue for me.  However, after successfully converting another file afterwards it crashed immediately and closed.'

Yeah, that is  what happened to me too except that it gave me an incomplete "Successfully Converted" pop up window after the third conversion (Volbeat - Radio Girl - the new version) that was mostly blank and then just froze. I tried quitting from the menu bar too to no avail and then did the force quit. I didn't actually test the Volbeat one as, in the past, when the kit did that those conversions were usually bad. I reconverted it after restarting the kit. I apologize I was not more clear initially.

I'm also having issues since updating to El Capitan.  The Wineskin version (thanks gomer11 for recommending it!) had worked MUCH better for me on Yosemite than does the standard/Mono version.  It never crashed on me, and I'm convinced that there were fewer errors in the conversions.  Unfortunately, that version is not working on El Capitan so I'm back to the standard RSTK.

I was able to re-install Mono by following the directions in this thread:

https://github.com/rscustom/rocksmith-custom-song-toolkit/issues/243

However, I'm experiencing several of the difficulties that I experienced with the non-Wineskin RSTK in Yosemite previously.  Specifically:  crashes after every third or fourth conversion, and some conversions don't seem to work correctly (lead to game crashes, or issues with tones).

Quick update--WePeel's instructions work perfectly to install the Toolkit on El Capitan.  Start from scratch, and follow them exactly, they will work.

Unfortunately, I'm still having stability/crashing issues with that version.  So, I tried to make a Wineskin version that will work on El Capitan.

The Wineskin wrapper was surprisingly easy to make, and the Toolkit launches correctly.  I can use the Packer/Unpacker to change app IDs, but anytime I try to convert something I get a big Application.ThreadException error.  This could be related to Wineskin, but given that these errors appear in the standard Windows version of the tool as well, I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot it.  If anybody has any ideas I can play around with it.  If I can get the converter working then of course I'd be happy to post the Wineskin version for anybody who would like to try it.

@@Bingles, what kind of stability/crashing issues are you having?

Updating AppID's works fine with any of the native versions of the Toolkit for Mac, and always has.  

Same with converting files.  The only time I ever run into an issue with converting is if the filename has a "." in it (before the file extension).  So "file.name_m.psarc" for example will cause a crash, whereas "filename_m.psarc" will not.

The only part of the Toolkit that doesn't work properly is actually importing and creating cDLC's, and that's because there isn't a proper working version of vWise for Mac that is compatible with the Toolkit.

• Like 1

Thanks for following up WePeel!

https://youtu.be/Vpe0epwVNII

The final 15 seconds or so of the video demonstrates the crash in the standard (non-Wineskin) toolkit when converting.  I was working quickly and converting random CLDCs from "p.psarc" to "m.psarc" so I actually got a lot of conversions done in about three minutes of uptime before the crash.  Usually I can only get in two or three before the tool crashes.

There's also an error message around the 2:38 mark.  I can repeat and get a copy of that error if you'd like.  It sometimes appears prior to the crash, and sometimes does not.  I think it's the same error that gomer11 mentioned in post #10.

Neither the error nor the crash appear to be related to any particular CLDCs--it happens every time that I use the tool.  It happened in Yosemite as well (before I had found the Wineskin version).

@@Bingles, we';ve got broken pc>mac converter for last kit build so i wonder how it works under mono..
please paste here that log(or put it somwhere I can reach it.)

this also will help me to identify toolkit build

@@Bingles, we';ve got broken pc>mac converter for last kit build so i wonder how it works under mono..

please paste here that log(or put it somwhere I can reach it.)

this also will help me to identify toolkit build

Hi Alex360, thanks for your follow-up on this.  I haven't been ignoring you, it's just that the presentation of the error/crash varies.  Sometimes the Toolkit just closes suddenly with no error message.  Sometimes I get a partially-rendered error window like this one:

http://i.imgur.com/fbuegFA.png

That's probably not enough text for you to really troubleshoot, but I'll be sure to report back next time I get a useful error.

It's about carbon framework, it's crashes randomly? maybe you need to reinstall x server\carbon backend\monoframowork to fix this, I can't fix it with any toolkit commit, I guess...

• Like 1

It's about carbon framework, it's crashes randomly? maybe you need to reinstall x server\carbon backend\monoframowork to fix this, I can't fix it with any toolkit commit, I guess...

Thanks for the support Alex360 and WePeel!  Re-installing Mono after getting the toolkit installed and working seems to have done the trick!  I just converted 10 CDLCs with no problems, whereas I previously had never been able to convert more than three before crashing!

I definitely appreciate the help, and have made a PayPal donation (which admittedly, I should have done a long time ago) as a direct result of your support.  Keep up the good work!